Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 5 - November 2019 /// Ruen Brothers "All My Shades of Blue" (2018)

My listening is all over the place right now, trying to keep up with all the releases. Been listening mostly to jazz, hip hop and the radiohead discography (again!) these days. I also try to keep up with the suggestions or albums that you guys have been playing, haven't check out the GA-20 yet but the few snippets I've heard are great.

I also recommend the Orville Peck album, it was weird and I thought I wouldn't like it, but I replayed it the other day and it was cool.

Also, have you listened to M. Ward? I cannot recommend "Post-war" and "Transfiguration of Vincent" enough, although he released an album this year I haven't given it the time it needs to truly listen to it.

Nice recommendations guys! Several of these I haven't heard, but will add them to my queue!
I love M. Ward!

I am thrilled to report the Ruen Brothers are a great live band. They bring energy and interact with the crowd (and give out shots of whiskey!) I talked with Henry after the show, and he will hopefully send the results to their AMA soon! He definitely knows Needles & Grooves. They were a lot of fun!

IMG_20191123_220647_1.jpg
IMG_20191123_223210.jpg
IMG_20191124_000506.jpg

@ThePakoBuelna - this album just clicked for me! I had listened to a few times and liked it. But this past listen it finally all fell into place. What a great album!!! Thank you for this pick.

completely agree.
yet i’ve got a few great AOTMs and extras thx to N&G in 2019

see also :
Nicole Atkins
Caleb Elliot
Dylan Le Blanc
Donnie Fritts
Only last night i noticed Lou Reed which i’d forgotten all about - Another good pick !
Heritage I&II have recieved good playtime also

Apologies to those i missed out - top of my head thang.

Last edited:
The AMA questions have been answered! Feel free to drop by the AMA thread and read them out!

My copy just arrived, and I just caught up on reading this thread today. Another great pick that I’d never heard of. I can’t resist the healthy dose of backing vocals or the little bits of glockenspiel that make it sound like 60s magic. A lot of the songs are pretty fast and snappy with a nice muscular guitar sound. I like how his voice kinda sounds strained by the higher, sustained notes (esp on the title track) but he doesn’t let that stop him from going for them - it makes it feel like this is how he actually sings, rather than an affected persona that he’s trying put on because it sounds cool. He kinda sounds like Brandon Flowers when he goes high like that, but without the self-indulgent melodrama. They sound like they’d be really fun to see live!

Thanks for this awesome pick!

My copy just arrived, and I just caught up on reading this thread today. Another great pick that I’d never heard of. I can’t resist the healthy dose of backing vocals or the little bits of glockenspiel that make it sound like 60s magic. A lot of the songs are pretty fast and snappy with a nice muscular guitar sound. I like how his voice kinda sounds strained by the higher, sustained notes (esp on the title track) but he doesn’t let that stop him from going for them - it makes it feel like this is how he actually sings, rather than an affected persona that he’s trying put on because it sounds cool. He kinda sounds like Brandon Flowers when he goes high like that, but without the self-indulgent melodrama. They sound like they’d be really fun to see live!

They are currently touring the US with Orville Peck. Clearly, they read my post on here and decided to make that happen.

Really glad you're liking it! I definitely recommend seeing them live if you have the chance, they have an awesome and infectious energy.

1587673910462.png

Back