Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 5 - November 2019 /// Ruen Brothers "All My Shades of Blue" (2018)

Alrighty giving this a dedicated listen after numerous Spotify listens and the initial listen.

besides their influence as listed above, where are the Everly Brothers comparisons coming from? Is it just the jangly, big folk rock sound or is there something else, cause this doesn’t scream the Everlys to me except for tiny moment every few songs. Or is it possible that I missed out on a whole period of the Everlys somewhere along the way?
I don't directly hear it but I get what people are saying.

Alrighty giving this a dedicated listen after numerous Spotify listens and the initial listen.

besides their influence as listed above, where are the Everly Brothers comparisons coming from? Is it just the jangly, big folk rock sound or is there something else, cause this doesn’t scream the Everlys to me except for tiny moment every few songs. Or is it possible that I missed out on a whole period of the Everlys somewhere along the way?

I think its just the Album cover.

I think it's just because of this. This is from their press release thing on their website.

Screenshot_20191111-183255.png

Is there a further listening list?

Sorry didn't make one for this month. :(

If anyone else wants to jump in with some suggestions, I will gladly update the first post with the info(plus I don't recall hearing anything similar lately, like the Ruen Brothers, but I know that you guys can come up with suggestions better than anything I could give you).

What's some good bands you could recommend @Lee Newman ? Off the top of my head, I think I could recommend Black Pumas or Durand Jones & The Indications, but you guys already know and love them. :p

Sorry didn't make one for this month. :(

If anyone else wants to jump in with some suggestions, I will gladly update the first post with the info(plus I don't recall hearing anything similar lately, like the Ruen Brothers, but I know that you guys can come up with suggestions better than anything I could give you).

What's some good bands you could recommend @Lee Newman ? Off the top of my head, I think I could recommend Black Pumas or Durand Jones & The Indications, but you guys already know and love them. :p
Have you checked out GA-20? They are a garage blues band on Colemine. I’ll give some more thought about things that go with this... although, I think The Killers and Springsteen are a good pairing. Probably Nebraska from Bruce and, I know it’s unpopular to go this far with The Killers, but I really like Day & Age.

Have you checked out GA-20? They are a garage blues band on Colemine. I’ll give some more thought about things that go with this... although, I think The Killers and Springsteen are a good pairing. Probably Nebraska from Bruce and, I know it’s unpopular to go this far with The Killers, but I really like Day & Age.

I think I’d have to throw something by The Big O in there with this pick too. The likes of Crying and Only The Lonely seem natural fits for me.

Agreed. I was thinking Elvis too, but not sure which one to go with.

What else floats your boat these days @ThePakoBuelna ?

Yeah definitely can hear Elvis influences but I’m only really into the singles collections with Elvis so I couldn’t really comment on albums

I think it shares a common spirit with Elephant by The White Stripes too, even if they are musically quite disparate.

Chris Isaak and Orville Peck need to be included on this list.

I’ve actually never heard of him before now! So thanks, I’ll add an album to my steaming queue. Which would you recommend?
Pony is his debut it came out early this year and it’s quite good. I was initially a bit skeptical of his whole masked cowboy schtick but the music is damn good.

Agreed. I was thinking Elvis too, but not sure which one to go with.

What else floats your boat these days @ThePakoBuelna ?

My listening is all over the place right now, trying to keep up with all the releases. Been listening mostly to jazz, hip hop and the radiohead discography (again!) these days. I also try to keep up with the suggestions or albums that you guys have been playing, haven't check out the GA-20 yet but the few snippets I've heard are great.

I also recommend the Orville Peck album, it was weird and I thought I wouldn't like it, but I replayed it the other day and it was cool.

Also, have you listened to M. Ward? I cannot recommend "Post-war" and "Transfiguration of Vincent" enough, although he released an album this year I haven't given it the time it needs to truly listen to it.

Nice recommendations guys! Several of these I haven't heard, but will add them to my queue!

Back