Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

the question is how easy would it be to obtain a copy of jorge bens album

i dunno if amazon has it anywhere

Seems like they have them!!

EDIT: So Amazon only has 3 with more on the way, but there are at least 15 from other sellers on amazxon for under 28 bucks shipped

My main reasonning is that it's :

- Someone that played Montreux the same year as Bill Evans (puzzle clue)
- An album released on Philips (Eindhoven clue, Philips owns this club)
- World music (duh)

So that leaves me with a shortlist of artists :

- Gilberto Gil
- Paco de Lucia
- Chico Buarque
- Gal Costa
- Raul Seixas
- Caetano Veloso

and

- Nina Simone (IF we can strech World Music definition for one of her Philips album)

I realized that I missed a few modern Bill Evans appearances. Damn. I might add some people on that shortlist, but I feel it was during the 60s/70s/80s era of the festival anyway

Tropicalia seems the most likely

The problem is accessibility, no one is selling the reissue on discogs and Amazon has shady sellers only

amoeba has it

- World music (duh)

- Gilberto Gil
- Paco de Lucia
- Chico Buarque
- Gal Costa
- Raul Seixas
- Caetano Veloso

and

- Nina Simone (IF we can strech World Music definition for one of her Philips album)

I realized that I missed a few modern Bill Evans appearances. Damn. I might add some people on that shortlist, but I feel it was during the 60s/70s/80s era of the festival anyway

I think that’s Nina out. Given that this is an American site I don’t think you can stretch world music to include anything from anglophone countries.

- World music (duh)

- Gilberto Gil
- Paco de Lucia
- Chico Buarque
- Gal Costa
- Raul Seixas
- Caetano Veloso

and

Since @agutierrezb already has 3 Paco de Lucia record in his discogs collection, I'm inclined to go this way.

Usually it just means music not from North America or most European countries

Most often South American or African countries
I kind of hate the term, but it generally means music from anywhere other than English speaking countries and Western Europe.
Thank you! I feared that it meant music not from North America which made me not enjoy the term either. At least it is a bit broader than that.

Back