Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

I think we can eliminate the following:

Santana - Santana - @Turbo
Carlos Santana Illuminations - @supahypeag
Machine Head by Deep Purple - @Murfocakes
Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On - @Jonathan Y
Led Zeppelin - Coda - @Poly-Rythmo
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Love and Hate - @ranbalam
Funkadelic - Maggot brain - @duke86fan
Tori Amos - Live In Montreaux @Waitressboy
Love - De Capo @Gavaxeman
Muddy Waters - Hard Again @Goatfish
Nina Simone - Pastel Blues @Joe Mac
I just updated the guesses list.

It’s an American artist singing in English, not world music. Damian Albarn has flirted with African and Chinese influences at points too but it’s not world music. Hell Paul Simon and the whole Graceland project too, still not world music.

I get it, but there is a two genres Calypso and Reggae that are sung in English dialects, but could be classified as world music.

Once again just proves how useless the term is.

I get it, but there is a two genres Calypso and Reggae that are sung in English dialects, but could be classified as world music.

Oh yeah it’s completely useless and slightly patronising unless we start bundling our own native “sorta folk tradition” genres in there too. Bit like trad here or old school uk folk etc etc...

I kind of hate the term, but it generally means music from anywhere other than English speaking countries and Western Europe.
I'm not a fan of the term "world music". It assumes the starting point for categorizing music should be a European or North American point of view. Not a hill to die on, but it's a lazy term.

Yeah, in my book, both Calypso and Reggae are classified as "World Music."

I would say it broadly means music not coming from the US or the UK, or in the popular genres originated in those countries. (I wouldn't classify Ryo Fukui as World Music. He is Japanese, but he plays an American genre). The music may show influence from those countries, though (As noted here, Tropicalia was influenced by Rock and Psychedelic music coming from both the US and the UK at the time.

Back