Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

I have some sad news for all of you: I just checked the Disc-Order site, and the order I had placed has been cancelled due to the item being out of print 😥. If you placed an order on that site, please check if yours has been cancelled too. Some of you may have been lucky and may have snatched the last few copies, but I'm afraid we may all have the same bad luck.

It seems like our only current option is the Ebay seller I shared yesterday. I contacted him, and he told me he has more than 5 copies, but refused to lower the price of the record or use a cheaper shipping option. Shipping won't be that crazy for our European friends (10 Euros, i think, and it may be even cheaper if some of you are able to place an order together and have both records shipped in one mailer), so if you're interested in getting the record I suggest to go that way. For the rest of you, the only remaining option seems to be streaming the album and discussing here (I encourage you to do it, I would love to hear your thoughts on the record), purchasing one of the swaptions if you're into them, and waiting for the rumored repress of La leyenda del tiempo.

I will keep looking for other buying options anyway, and will let you know if I find any. Once again, I apologize for the situation. It sucks to have so many of you miss the vinyl... It would all have been perfect if my name was drawn one month earlier (or one month later... that way I would have seen the record was already OOS and had picked a different one).

Last edited:
I have some sad news for all of you: I just checked the Disc-Order site, and the order I had placed has been cancelled due to the item being out of print 😥. If you placed an order on that site, please check if yours has been cancelled too. Some of you may have been lucky and may have snatched the last few copies, but I'm afraid we may all have the same bad luck.

It seems like our only current option is the Ebay seller I shared yesterday. I contacted him, and he told me he has more than 5 copies, but refused to lower the price of the record or use a cheaper shipping option. Shipping won't be that crazy for our European friends (10 Euros, i think, and it may be even cheaper if some of you are able to place an order together and have both records shipped in one mailer), so if you're interested in getting the record I suggest to go that way. For the rest of you, the only remaining option seems to be streaming the album and discussing here (I encourage you to do it, I would love to hear your thoughts on the record), purchasing one of the swaptions if you're into them, and waiting for the rumored repress of La leyenda del tiempo.

I will keep looking for other buying options anyway, and will let you know if I find any. Once again, I apologize for the situation. It sucks to have so many of you miss the vinyl... It would all have been perfect if my name was drawn one month earlier (or one month later... that way I would have seen the record was already OOS and had picked a different one).

I checked Fnac.es yesterday and it was OOS too unfortunately :(

I checked Fnac.es yesterday and it was OOS too unfortunately :(
Yes, Fnac.es was one of the places selling it when I started the guess thread. I had pinned down about 4 places where people could get it, but I didn't anticipate it selling so fast. I'm kicking myself for not doing what @Teeeee did last month and announce the record earlier in face of how fast it was selling. Luckily some of figured the album out earlier and managed to secure a copy, but so many more could have done the same had I announced the album a week earlier :/

Yes, Fnac.es was one of the places selling it when I started the guess thread. I had pinned down about 4 places where people could get it, but I didn't anticipate it selling so fast. I'm kicking myself for not doing what @Teeeee did last month and announce the record earlier in face of how fast it was selling. Luckily some of figured the album out earlier and managed to secure a copy, but so many more could have done the same had I announced the album a week earlier :/

Nobody can blame you. You just did what everybody else could have done. The pick is fantastic and the booklet is incredible! Nobody could have expected this record to sell so fast but, after watching the documentary, it seems that Camaron is a legend in Spain and these represses were awaited by a lot of people. I am certain these records will be repressed, it can't be other way.

Plans for tonight:

- watch Netflix documentary
- spin the record
- sit on the couch
- grab the booklet
- listen carefully

View attachment 18189
Thanks so much for posting this @Skalap. It warms my heart to see people digging the booklet me and my girlfriend designed, and more importantly, devoting to listening and discussing the album. I can't wait to hear your opinion after whenever you have the time to share them.

Thanks so much for posting this @Skalap. It warms my heart to see people digging the booklet me and my girlfriend designed, and more importantly, devoting to listening and discussing the album. I can't wait to hear your opinion after whenever you have the time to share them.

I am currently listening to and writing my thoughts for each song. I'll post everything in an hour or so but, I repeat, what you and your girlfriend did is fabulous. I first thought you both took illustrations from Internet but you did everything by yourselves! It's beautiful!

Don't worry about that, it seems like at that time there were only 5 copies left at Disco100 and we may have gotten all of them. We'll keep an eye out for a repress.

Track by track review :

La Leyenda del tiempo : incredible song, it exploses from everywhere with drums, hand claps, guitars, the amazing keys, electric guitar and, of course, Camaron's voice. My favorite song of the album! When I first streamed the album, I stopped right after this one because I wanted to discover the rest on vinyl. This song could have been 10 minutes long and I would never get tired of.

Romance del amargo : a more classic Flamenco song (from my perception of what is Flamenco), a quite song after the storm, a good time to catch its breath.

Homenaje a Frederico : my favorite song, or better, my favorite lyrics. I can imagine these olive fields in my mind and this poor and sad boy receiving a no but still looking at her, etc... I also love how it ends, in a totally different rythm. One of the best songs of the album imo.

Mi niña se fue a la mar : so far it's the song that shows better how powerful is Camaron's voice.

La Tarara : built the "same way" as the first song with different instruments at different moments of the songs, in a different rythm tough. It's almost soul-jazz and a maybe more accessible song (and it's not an insult at all).

And now, side B!

I can’t remember my user name to check 😳

Volando voy : a more danceable song, it's rumba, lyrics are of course lighter than any other song of the side A. It's strange to start side B like this but let's see what comes next, not that it's bad but side A put me in a mood completely different and I was not prepared for this ahahah

Bahia de Cadiz : an happier song full of hand claps and vivas, then it's stop, silent, guitar+voice, dramatic moment? Not at all, happiness comes back just after. Fresh song

Viejo Mundo : un poco de pan y un poquito de agua fresca, la sombra de un arbol y tus ojos resultan mas feliz que ellos, ni mendigo mas pobre... Wow <3 Best poem so far and a real contender as favorite song of the album.

Tangos de la Sultana : another high moment of this album..

Nana del caballo grande : what is this sitar doing here?!! It mixes very well with Camaron's voice, it's a powerful and dark song that close perfectly the album.

Funnily, front cover matches perfectly with the album. It's mostly deep and dark but there's some light here and there. I have no knowledge about Flamenco so I can't understand how it became a revolutionary album for this musical genre (except for the introduction of new instruments). It's an excellent album and a perfect introduction to Flamenco. I am Portuguese so, as a neighbour, I always knew what Flamenco is but never knew where to start without having to worry about what IS Flamenco, in a traditional way, and what IS NOT Flamenco, because some old guys decided it was not Flamenco (and it actually happened with this album). It's also the kind of album that you can share saying: "hey, wanna discover some great Spanish music" without having to play Los del Rio. My favorite songs are La Leyenda del tiempo, a punch in the face, and Viejo Mundo, a punch in the heart. It definitely needs more plays but these are my first thoughts.

Track by track review :

La Leyenda del tiempo : incredible song, it exploses from everywhere with drums, hand claps, guitars, the amazing keys, electric guitar and, of course, Camaron's voice. My favorite song of the album! When I first streamed the album, I stopped right after this one because I wanted to discover the rest on vinyl. This song could have been 10 minutes long and I would never get tired of.

Romance del amargo : a more classic Flamenco song (from my perception of what is Flamenco), a quite song after the storm, a good time to catch its breath.

Homenaje a Frederico : my favorite song, or better, my favorite lyrics. I can imagine these olive fields in my mind and this poor and sad boy receiving a no but still looking at her, etc... I also love how it ends, in a totally different rythm. One of the best songs of the album imo.

Mi niña se fue a la mar : so far it's the song that shows better how powerful is Camaron's voice.

La Tarara : built the "same way" as the first song with different instruments at different moments of the songs, in a different rythm tough. It's almost soul-jazz and a maybe more accessible song (and it's not an insult at all).

And now, side B!
Volando voy : a more danceable song, it's rumba, lyrics are of course lighter than any other song of the side A. It's strange to start side B like this but let's see what comes next, not that it's bad but side A put me in a mood completely different and I was not prepared for this ahahah

Bahia de Cadiz : an happier song full of hand claps and vivas, then it's stop, silent, guitar+voice, dramatic moment? Not at all, happiness comes back just after. Fresh song

Viejo Mundo : un poco de pan y un poquito de agua fresca, la sombra de un arbol y tus ojos resultan mas feliz que ellos, ni mendigo mas pobre... Wow <3 Best poem so far and a real contender as favorite song of the album.

Tangos de la Sultana : another high moment of this album..

Nana del caballo grande : what is this sitar doing here?!! It mixes very well with Camaron's voice, it's a powerful and dark song that close perfectly the album.

Funnily, front cover matches perfectly with the album. It's mostly deep and dark but there's some light here and there. I have no knowledge about Flamenco so I can't understand how it became a revolutionary album for this musical genre (except for the introduction of new instruments). It's an excellent album and a perfect introduction to Flamenco. I am Portuguese so, as a neighbour, I always knew what Flamenco is but never knew where to start without having to worry about what IS Flamenco, in a traditional way, and what IS NOT Flamenco, because some old guys decided it was not Flamenco (and it actually happened with this album). It's also the kind of album that you can share saying: "hey, wanna discover some great Spanish music" without having to play Los del Rio. My favorite songs are La Leyenda del tiempo, a punch in the face, and Viejo Mundo, a punch in the heart. It definitely needs more plays but these are my first thoughts.
Wow, thanks so much for taking the time to listen the album and write this. I share a handful of your views about the tracks. I had never thought about the cover art in terms of the way it reflects the tone of the album, but now that you mention it, it makes total sense. The dark/light duality is pretty prominent both in the music and the lyrics, and La leyenda del tiempo and Viejo mundo are for sure two of the best tracks in the record.

Remembered it! Cancelled too 😢
€28.50 plus €10 is steep too, I’ll have to have a bit of a think, i do want to get it though!
Ooh, that's a shame :( I understand the price being too high... I actually wasn't expecting that many people being interested in the album even if it was cheap, so the fact that it is so steep is def pushing some people back. Let's hope we can find some other source, or wait for a repress soon :) In the meantime, I encourage y'all to try one of the swaptions. Camarón was a great artist, and records like Como el agua or Potro de rabia y miel are easier to get, and are superb too.

Ooh, that's a shame :( I understand the price being too high... I actually wasn't expecting that many people being interested in the album even if it was cheap, so the fact that it is so steep is def pushing some people back. Let's hope we can find some other source, or wait for a repress soon :) In the meantime, I encourage y'all to try one of the swaptions. Camarón was a great artist, and records like Como el agua or Potro de rabia y miel are easier to get, and are superb too.

I nearly broke on the eBay one and it seems that rather than being nice and agreeing to a lower price he’s actually put it up by €4 to €32.50 sensing an opportunity!

Well, it seems that it’s now or never that VMP need to start getting ideas from browsing the forum, uh, sorry Discogs and cool covers !
I actually pitched the idea to Cam a couple of times, and once to Clay. It may be the fan in me talking, but I legitimately think this album fits their "essential" definition perfectly: It is a record people should have in their collections (like I said in my write-up, iif you're having a single flamenco record, this is the onne), and they sure can tell a hell of a story with it in order to get people interested. Egon posted this record on his IG once, so I guess there is a slight chance it may eventually get to Cam's radar.

Back