Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

I listened to the first few songs from the Rosalía album and I like it a lot! I think I’m going to have to get it!

EDIT: Just bought it! The amazon US was all import such that I was going to have to pay shipping, and I didn’t like any of the 3rd party vendor ratings (less than 95%) so I ordered from Amazon Spain. Again.

Last edited:
it sucks that this is super hard to get... i can make it up by buying one of the further listens you think is the most essential of the further listens you gave us

@agutierrezb, got any ideas for a secondary ROTM
I know, this whole situation sucks, and I'm very sorry for bringing this mess to the club 😥

Given that my goal for this month mas to highlight flamenco and Camarón specifically, I guess we could see October as a multi-ROTM month ;) La leyenda del tiempo is the best introduction to the genre, but there are other outstanding records that are great gateways to Camarón and to flamenco:

Como el agua
This is the album Camarón recorded immediatly after La leyenda, and the first in which he is backed by both Tomatito and Paco de Lucía. It is an essential because the title track is perhaps Camarón's most popular song, and because it features not onlye the partnership that changed the history of flamenco (Paco and Camarón), but also the young guitarist Tomatito, who picked the torch from both of them and as led the genre for the last 20 years.

Potro de rabia y miel
This album may not be at the top of many flamenco fans' ranking, but I consider it to be a very special record. This was Camarón's last recording, one he did while struggling with lung cancer. On this album, he works once again with both guitar geniuses, and the fact that he was able to nail such powerful and sentiment-heavy vocal takes while terribly ill makes it a great parting gift from him.

Go buy whichever atracts you the most, and please come back to discuss the album once you have listened to it :)

I know, this whole situation sucks, and I'm very sorry for bringing this mess to the club 😥

Mate, I refuse that you feel bad about something you could not have foreseen or acted to rectify. The hints were great, the pick is awesome, your insight and bonuses are bonkers. We have streaming, we have physical alternatives, we have a discussion about great music we didn’t know before because of you, you are a star.

Mate, I refuse that you feel bad about something you could not have foreseen or acted to rectify. The hints were great, the pick is awesome, your insight and bonuses are bonkers. We have streaming, we have physical alternatives, we have a discussion about great music we didn’t know before because of you, you are a star.
I liked that post so hard I had to use the 🔥. I agree with everything one billion percent

Hey, thank you for your words. I just can't shake off the feeling that this whole situation could have been avoided, and that it could have been a hell of a month if more people could have gotten their hands on the record. I hope people are enjoying the journey like you are, even if they can't get the record on vinyl, and I have my fingers crossed for a repress soon.

Given that my goal for this month mas to highlight flamenco and Camarón specifically, I guess we could see October as a multi-ROTM month ;) La leyenda del tiempo is the best introduction to the genre, but there are other outstanding records that are great gateways to Camarón and to flamenco:

Como el agua
This is the album Camarón recorded immediatly after La leyenda, and the first in which he is backed by both Tomatito and Paco de Lucía. It is an essential because the title track is perhaps Camarón's most popular song, and because it features not onlye the partnership that changed the history of flamenco (Paco and Camarón), but also the young guitarist Tomatito, who picked the torch from both of them and as led the genre for the last 20 years.

Potro de rabia y miel
This album may not be at the top of many flamenco fans' ranking, but I consider it to be a very special record. This was Camarón's last recording, one he did while struggling with lung cancer. On this album, he works once again with both guitar geniuses, and the fact that he was able to nail such powerful and sentiment-heavy vocal takes while terribly ill makes it a great parting gift from him.

Go buy whichever atracts you the most, and please come back to discuss the album once you have listened to it :)
I’m still waiting on the cd, and I’ll listen on the big system like it was a record and give thoughts and whatnot.

Which one of the two above would you buy if you could only buy one?

I'm a little late to the party, but... This album is outstanding! Fantastic pick. God, it makes me so happy listening to it.
Thanks!

Absolutely, this album gives me so much joy, even when a handful of the sounds and lyrics are actually pretty dark. It's just such a honest album, and, just like life, the happy moments are preceded by hard/sad ones. Did you get a chance to read the lyrics translation I linked to on the second post? I believe subsequent listens will give you a deeper appreciation of the album if you are able to understand the imagery the lyrics evoque.

I'm so glad you enjoyed it :) thanks for listening and commenting.

A seller had it on eBay for €32.50 + €8 postage which was a bit much for my cash strapped pockets. When I went on today the cheeky so and so has raised the price further as it’s now €39.50 + €10 postage. 7 watchers so I guess it’s some of you kind folk

He originally had it at €28.50 until @agutierrezb contacted him to do a deal and that seems to have sent him into full on dickhead mode

He originally had it at €28.50 until @agutierrezb contacted him to so a deal and that seems to have sent him into full on dickhead mode

Very disappointing. We should buy them from him and give him the ‘heads up’ that next month’s album of the month is Gary Glitters Greatest Hits so he best purchase a couple of 100 copies to cope with demand. Let’s see him offload those for €5 nevermind €50

Back