Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

Why did I find this surprizing in Elis' wiki?

"Elis Regina died at the age of 36 in 1982, from an accidental cocaine, alcohol, and temazepam interaction. "

What I found surprising is the variety of steeet names for that drug in its wiki

Street terms for temazepam include king kong pills (formerly referred to barbiturates, now more commonly refers to temazepam), jellies, jelly, Edinburgh eccies, tams, terms, mazzies, temazies, tammies, temmies, beans, eggs, green eggs, wobbly eggs, knockouts, hardball, norries, oranges (common term in Australia and New Zealand), rugby balls, ruggers, terminators, red and blue, Geoff's Big Shoe, no-gos, num nums, blackout, green devils, drunk pills, brainwash, mind erasers, neurotrashers, tem-tem's (combined with buprenorphine), mommy's big helper, vitamin T, big T, TZ, The Mazepam, Resties (North America) and others.

My personal favorite is “mommy’s big helper”

What I found surprising is the variety of steeet names for that drug in its wiki

Street terms for temazepam include king kong pills (formerly referred to barbiturates, now more commonly refers to temazepam), jellies, jelly, Edinburgh eccies, tams, terms, mazzies, temazies, tammies, temmies, beans, eggs, green eggs, wobbly eggs, knockouts, hardball, norries, oranges (common term in Australia and New Zealand), rugby balls, ruggers, terminators, red and blue, Geoff's Big Shoe, no-gos, num nums, blackout, green devils, drunk pills, brainwash, mind erasers, neurotrashers, tem-tem's (combined with buprenorphine), mommy's big helper, vitamin T, big T, TZ, The Mazepam, Resties (North America) and others.

My personal favorite is “mommy’s big helper”

Don't the Eskimos have a 100 words for snow because it's so important in their culture?

Hahaha I knew someone would catch this. I initially wrote "his" because English is not my first language and I'm pretty bad at gender-neutral English. In all honesty the "his" was just a bad translation of the genre-neutral "su" in Spanish.

Or it could have been a Freudian slip, who knows? *shrugs*
I am always amazed at how perfect you and @gafacaode and @Skalap are with your English, assuming you are all non first language speakers.

Edit: and probably others on here. I don't think I can tell that anyone on this forum is a non native English speaker. I am always surprised to learn that about people here.

Please know I don't mean that from a condescending place, but rather from a place where at this point the idea of myself ever being half as good at a second language is a fantasy.

I have a live guess and don't wanna spam, but FYI if anybody wants it: Elis Regina in London has been reissued.

EDIT: And I love the cover.

EDIT squared: Most of her stuff has been reissued at one point or another!
That's a solid guess. It would fit with the "country of origin" thingy. I took it as the album's country of origin is different from the artist's country.

I wonder if that means I'm making a bad job at giving you the clues. At the beginning of this I asked myself what would happen if no one guessed the record, and did my best to give clues that would lead you to the pick without giving it away in a very obvious manner.
I think if we had it already you would be doing worse at your job!

Edit: Realized I phrased that like you are doing bad but could be worse. Not what I meant! Stumping us is good.

Last edited:
I wonder if that means I'm making a bad job at giving you the clues. At the beginning of this I asked myself what would happen if no one guessed the record, and did my best to give clues that would lead you to the pick without giving it away in a very obvious manner.
Nah, you're doing a great job. We still have two weeks, right?

Just depends on if we are interpreting them correctly. Right now, we think the clues are: (1) artist played at a festival (was one of over 1,000 performances) (2) album was released on the Philips label (3) the artist is dead (4) the album was released before 1982 (5) genre is world music (6) the album has words and (7) mystery clue involving a location in NYC.

EDIT: I worded that very badly. I meant to say, you have given us plenty to go on, but there are a lot of interesting variables regarding clue interpretation.

You're doing great! I'm so looking forward to this album, whatever it may be!

Back