Needles & Grooves AotM///Vol. 32 February 2022/// The Faint - Wet From Birth

ALBUMS THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT, BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO: (continued)

11) !!! - Myth Takes (2007)

Why it could have been ROTM: !!! are the most fun band. Absolute high energy dance party. I've always been surprised they didn't become bigger than they did. !!! is pronounced by repeating thrice any monosyllabic sound. "Chk Chk Chk" is the most common pronunciation. A must-listen-to-band for fans of dance-punk, funk, disco-rock, etc.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: All My Heroes Are Weirdos

12) Buddy Guy - Stone Crazy! (1979)

Why it could have been ROTM: Buddy absolutely rips here. Fucking RIPS his guitar. And vocals. I feel like someone must have told Buddy he wasn't that good at playing + singing, and he answered with his most aggressively powerful album yet. The last few years have been the years of blues for me, and Buddy has absolutely become my favorite. Look for more blues here soon...

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: I Smell A Rat

13) Rivers Cuomo - Alone: The Home Recordings (2007)

Why it could have been ROTM: Sometimes, I can’t tell if this album pushed me over the edge or saved my life. It came out when I was at my lowest. An amazing collection of songs (and skits/samples) from Weezer’s Rivers Cuomo. Most of my favorite songs by him exist on this record (Longtime Sunshine, Superfriend, Lover In The Snow, I Was Made For You, Chess). If you’re even a slightly casual Weez fan, this is a must.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Longtime Sunshine

14) Hot Hot Heat - Make Up The Breakdown (2002)

Why it could have been ROTM: Most know Hot Hot Heat [Canada] from their 00's hit "Bandages", and that was how I accidentally stumbled upon them. Their music hit the right buttons at the right time. It was impossible to pick between their S/T album and Elevator, but this one gets the edge based on being their debut, and the one that solidified my love for indie rock. Next to The Strokes, HHH are usually next in line as my personal favorite indie rock bands.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Naked In The City Again

15) J Boog - Hear Me Roar (2007)

Why it could have been ROTM: One of my all-time favorite reggae albums. This hinges more on the pop-reggae side of things, and you've probably heard at least one of his songs by accident before. J Boog's debut album hit my ears at the peak of my own reggae band's touring and performing and I haven't put it down since! Please listen to this album.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Aye OK

16) Rancid - ...And Out Come The Wolves (1995)

Why it could have been ROTM: This record is a mixture of blazing punk rock mixed with anthems about life on the road. Rancid was right alongside NOFX when I first discovered the world of punk rock music. This album got so much play during high school that I'm sure I broke through a few CDs. I tried to match my attire with the music and clearly did NOT fit in! As a bass player-in-training, I couldn't get over the unique and creative basslines mixed with the rest of the music. Rancid will always hold a special place in my musical heart, and this is their best.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Roots Radical

17) No Use For A Name - All The Best Songs (2007)

Why it could have been ROTM: This might be a cop out.. but I had to pick a Greatest Hits album. Here's why: No Use For A Name helped NOFX and the likes make Fat Wreck Chords the record label it is today. Tony Sly (singer) and Fat Mike (NOFX) were best friends and trudged a really cool path from the mid 90s into the 2000's. I was fortunate enough to see them at least once in 2003-2004 (foggy). No Use For A Name put out an excellent run of albums from 1995 until 2008. Tony's songwriting and lyrics are among the best I've heard anywhere. Unfortunately, Tony Sly passed away suddenly in 2012. This Greatest Hits album commemorates his memory as well as amazing songs. Rest In Peace, Tony Sly.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Coming Too Close

18) Her's - Invitation To Her's (2018)

Why it could have been ROTM: The story of Her's is absolutely beautiful and equally tragic. Nonchalant, whilst wonderfully buoyant, the debut album from Her’s (Liverpool, England) features some almost perfect glitch pop ballads. Easy for you to fall into a fantasy of your own, Invitation to Her’s experiments with 60s aesthetics of cute falsetto vocals, funky synth patterns and thrilling lyrics. Her's career was cut short when both members and their manager died tragically in a car crash while driving to their next concert venue. Her's leaves a large legacy behind with this beautiful album. Rest In Peace, Stephen Fitzpatrick, Audun Laading, and Trevor Engelbrektson.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Harvey

19) Beulah - Yoko (2003)

Why it could have been ROTM: Beulah is another darling of a band from the Elephant Six collective. Fuck, they are just so good. This band and also is so fucking good. I love them. 10/10 on three albums straight (When Your Heartstrings Break, The Coast Is Never Clear, and this album). Do yourself a favor and listen to Beulah.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: A Man Like Me

20) Bryan Scary & The Shredding Tears - Mad Valentines EP (2009)

Why it could have been ROTM: This one is a ride! Beethoven meets Queen meets The Beatles meets everything! Bryan Scary is known for his virtuoso playing and arranging, creative imaginative lyrics and flurry of different sounds. I always listen to this on my flights to Vegas - some weird tradition now. Anyways! This is one of two EPs that made this list (NOFX) and I highly suggest checking them out! I am trying to help get this one pressed on wax!

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Andromeda's Eyes

21) Dogs Die In Hot Cars - Please Describe Yourself (2004)

Why it could have been ROTM: The best album from the band with the worst name. Think of their name as a PSA and it'll help you cope with it! DDIHC are a unique blend of pop from Scotland. They only put out one album, and it's really fun. I think I'm a sucker for silly pop - especially if there's a piano!

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Lounger

22) Olivia Tremor Control - Dusk at Cubist Castle (1996)

Why it could have been ROTM: The final Elephant 6 appearance from two of the co-founders. With the exception of the "random bursts and transient noise" of "Green Typewriters", Dusk at Cubist Castle is "an embarrassment of pop riches, a mildly psychedelic, lavishly melodic quasi-masterpiece. I used to listen to this one falling asleep all the time. I told Bill Doss this before his untimely passing, which made him chuckle. This is a great psych-pop-rock album from two amazing songwriters who have had a huge impact on me. Rest In Peace, Bill Doss.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Jumping Fences

I hit another character limit! Continue the list here.

Last edited:
Prizes: A few people in this thread did a stand-up job with clues, participation, etc. The following members will receive a free copy of the album from me. Please send me your deets:

@Jan - First correct guess!View attachment 124297
@cul8er - Got the OMAHA clueView attachment 124297
@mgp - Crossword hero, coupon code confirmationView attachment 124297
@avecigrec - High quality sleuthing and guesses based on multiple hints ✔️
FYI - These orders have been placed! Message me when you get it!

16) Rancid - ...And Out Come The Wolves (1995)

Why it could have been ROTM: This record is a mixture of blazing punk rock mixed with anthems about life on the road. Rancid was right alongside NOFX when I first discovered the world of punk rock music. This album got so much play during high school that I'm sure I broke through a few CDs. I tried to match my attire with the music and clearly did NOT fit in! As a bass player-in-training, I couldn't get over the unique and creative basslines mixed with the rest of the music. Rancid will always hold a special place in my musical heart, and this is their best.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Roots Radical

Yes! Coincidentally, we're currently dogsitting our friend's dog Ruby, so this album has gotten a lot of play in the house this week with both of my kids wandering around singing Ruby Soho. And just when my head was just about to explode from the mind-numbing amount of Encanto they had been singing.

I've found that a lot of the punk music that I listened to in my teenage years has not held up very well, but NOFX, Rancid (/op ivy) are all things I come back to pretty often. Great pick.

Yes! Coincidentally, we're currently dogsitting our friend's dog Ruby, so this album has gotten a lot of play in the house this week with both of my kids wandering around singing Ruby Soho. And just when my head was just about to explode from the mind-numbing amount of Encanto they had been singing.

I've found that a lot of the punk music that I listened to in my teenage years has not held up very well, but NOFX, Rancid (/op ivy) are all things I come back to pretty often. Great pick.
Hell yeah! Very happy to hear at least someone is looking at these picks! I love Rancid and Op Ivy and Tim's solo stuff. Did you ever listen to Tim Armstrong's solo album "A Poet's Life"? So good.

I think I'll add another punk rock band today.

Day 17 of ALBUMS THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT, BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO has been posted above.

BTW - if you missed the original post, I am posting these albums for your aural pleasure as they were all legitimate contenders to be AotM. I had a REALLY hard time picking one album, as we all do, so this is how I will sleep at night knowing I didn't leave anyone out :)

More focus on The Faint soon!

Day 17 of ALBUMS THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT, BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO has been posted above.

BTW - if you missed the original post, I am posting these albums for your aural pleasure as they were all legitimate contenders to be AotM. I had a REALLY hard time picking one album, as we all do, so this is how I will sleep at night knowing I didn't leave anyone out :)

More focus on The Faint soon!
Thats the One i actually bought to have NUFAN on vinyl. It's got many of their best songs an some of my favourite albums are a bit hard to find.
And agree on the rancid pick. I think let's go to life won't wait is a great run of albums with wolves their best. I include life won't wait which is a little bloated in comparison to the two before but I like how their expand their sound palette and work with collaborators like buju banton or Dickie Barrett on that one

Last edited:
Hell yeah! Very happy to hear at least someone is looking at these picks! I love Rancid and Op Ivy and Tim's solo stuff. Did you ever listen to Tim Armstrong's solo album "A Poet's Life"? So good.

I think I'll add another punk rock band today.

NUFAN is another one that actually holds up (to my ears)! The night before my first day of college I went to see NUFAN and Lagwagon, and I ended up staying out way too late and skipping my first college class. A psychology probably major wasn't in my cards anyway.

I've listened to A Poet's Life, but I don't know it well. I'll revisit.

NUFAN is another one that actually holds up (to my ears)! The night before my first day of college I went to see NUFAN and Lagwagon, and I ended up staying out way too late and skipping my first college class. A psychology probably major wasn't in my cards anyway.

I've listened to A Poet's Life, but I don't know it well. I'll revisit.
Nice! We are definitely in sync. Lagwagon may or may not make an appearance. Again, one of my favs. That whole early Fat Wreck lineup!

My thoughts are not too far from yours, except I am not high. Lol. I think my friends might like this, too.

"There's violins in this shit?"
"What the hell is making that sound? Is that a guitar or a synth"
"What the fuck is he singing about here? An erection?"
"Holy shit, how do I replicate that bass fuzz?"
"This is a great dance party album"
"I'm so high right now, and this music is perfect"
"If I tell my friends about this band, are they going to think I am crazy or love it?"

I really like the energy and electronic funk. This would be a great live show.

Back