Needles & Grooves AotM///Vol. 32 February 2022/// The Faint - Wet From Birth

First of all, I quite enjoy my first listen.

this record is one of those things that makes me curious about all the micro genres going on. What differentiates Dance Punk from New Wave. This album starts out very much new wave and ends that way. The first side builds to a full on electro pop sound by Erection which continues until the industrial onslaught of Dropkick the Punks. It then returns to a new wave sound. It honestly reminds me of early industrial - think Ministry’s With Sympathy or Land of Rape and Honey.

I also find it fascinating that folks with music degrees gravitate or make this kind of music. Not that it’s not interesting and complex but it’s just not the music I think most would associate with someone who studied music.

Kind of wish I had listened to it to ask better questions for the interview.

First of all, I quite enjoy my first listen.

this record is one of those things that makes me curious about all the micro genres going on. What differentiates Dance Punk from New Wave. This album starts out very much new wave and ends that way. The first side builds to a full on electro pop sound by Erection which continues until the industrial onslaught of Dropkick the Punks. It then returns to a new wave sound. It honestly reminds me of early industrial - think Ministry’s With Sympathy or Land of Rape and Honey.

I also find it fascinating that folks with music degrees gravitate or make this kind of music. Not that it’s not interesting and complex but it’s just not the music I think most would associate with someone who studied music.

Kind of wish I had listened to it to ask better questions for the interview.
Very glad you enjoyed it! Most of the music grads/nerds I know have a large musical palette. We have to study everything from Gregorian chant to Beethoven to jazz to modern popular music. I stumbled into a music degree because I was a musician with little direction, and it helped me further my overall knowledge of all music - and why / how it works - which made me appreciate my favorite styles of music even more

Hey. Today, I interviewed Todd Fink from The Faint. Their album, 'Wet From Birth', is our AotM #32. Please make sure to check out the interview, as well as the band!

If you never got a chance to watch this or listen to the album, I’d love it if you did!

I’ve been listening to a lot of Saddle Creek bands lately. Hell, even VMP is putting out a Bright Eyes record!

xoxo

Back