Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

ngl read the last paragraph in my mind with this voice:

source.gif
Do you hear it though Goatfish? Like this song sounds like someone committing an unexpected, violently wild action. Like I imagine a rich white posh woman in her mansion starting to lose her mind slowly after she finds out dreadful news - and when she can’t handle the reality, she goes nuts and kills her family, but in a numb, steady, non-dramatic way.

I love A Little Crazy! It’s a stellar song! Rarely can a song make you imagine such a strange setting/event. There’s something really special about A Little Crazy, it’s a one-of-kind song. There’s something so believable and convincing about the song too, but in such a surreal way.

Do you hear it though Goatfish? Like this song sounds like someone committing an unexpected, violently wild action. Like I imagine a rich white posh woman in her mansion starting to lose her mind slowly after she finds out dreadful news - and when she can’t handle the reality, she goes nuts and kills her family, but in a numb, steady, non-dramatic way.

I love A Little Crazy! It’s a stellar song! Rarely can a song make you imagine such a strange setting/event. There’s something really special about A Little Crazy, it’s a one-of-kind song. There’s something so believable and convincing about the song too, but in such a surreal way.

I’ll let you know when I dive in. I’ve only heard the song a couple times digitally and I was never all that focused or engaged. I’ll def be by with my full review though soon (now that I have the vinyl courtesy of @Colonel_Angus / @Teeeee - thanks guys!)

I cannot wait to talk about this album in depth! I have very strong opinions on this album listening to it four times. Once, while driving, and, and the other three times in my bedroom on vinyl - including just laying in bed and really focusing on the album and letting my mind wander and be imaginative.

But before I talk about this album, there’s one thing I want to say! It’s a little bit wild but I’m sure some of you might have felt the same when I heard this song!

Do any of you get serial killer vibes/someone about to get killed/stabbed from the first track on the album - A Little Crazy.

A Little Crazy is a very cinematic song. There’s something suspenseful, sultry and regrettable about the delivery and sound in the opening verse both musically and vocally. And then climax with the chorus feels gloriously sorrowful, but the music feels uplifting yet simultaneously sounds like the damage has been done.

I imagine A Little Crazy being played in a movie scene where someone is getting killed during the chorus, or when a psychopath is touching a dead body during the verse and then dances and makes out with the dead body when the chorus hits. This song sounds like either an alcoholic has gone crazy and is helpless and is really begging for forgiveness or just like a serial killer doing disturbing serial killer things.

Did you ever think about starting a music blog? I'm thinking the title should be "Nathan Ricaud Over Reacts" It would be the most entertaining music blog ever. No hedging bets or hiding behind subtle metaphors. No cold removed pointing out of genre influences, just raw uncut Nathan Ricaud opinions.

Did you ever think about starting a music blog? I'm thinking the title should be "Nathan Ricaud Over Reacts" It would be the most entertaining music blog ever. No hedging bets or hiding behind subtle metaphors. No cold removed pointing out of genre influences, just raw uncut Nathan Ricaud opinions.

Raw and Uncut Nathan? Sign. Me. Up.

I am loving all the discussion! LOVING IT! I'm so happy people are having different experiences with A Little Crazy. Cinematic is the PERFECT word for it. Would you all describe Nicole's voice as smokey? I'm trying to come up with a one or two word description of her voice and can't quite nail it.

And yes, @NathanRicaud , I can totally see that song being used in a serial killer movie. I'm down for a Nathan is THE MOST blog.

I am also excited to announce that Nicole has agreed to do an AMA!!!! We are still firming up the date. It will probably be the week of Sept 9 (she's headed to Sweden in a few days and will be there until around then. Do we have any members from Sweden? Member. Hehe). @agutierrezb has been gracious enough to allow the AMA to occur during his hint dropping month. I'll be sure to give everyone a few days notice and to get a thread started. If you can't join at the time Nicole chooses, I'll have the thread open a bit before so you can still submit questions. I think this could be a really great AMA based on all the discussions and emotions and ideas the album is eliciting from you all.

This really warms my heart, all. I've had a rough go of things lately and this thread and the music and all the discussion and laughs we have had in here has been so good for my soul. I squealed with glee when Nicole responded to me. This has been such a fun idea - for N&G to pick albums. Thank you to everyone that got it going, I'm not even sure who it all was - but I know @ChristoBee was key. Thank you for all your participation. Just thank you for being so great! (No, I'm not drunk or stoned, just happy).

Also, I keep telling people to watch the Listen Up video. It honestly did not even occur to me to just link it in here. SMH. Sometimes I confuse myself with how inane I can be. But here it is!

I am loving all the discussion! LOVING IT! I'm so happy people are having different experiences with A Little Crazy. Cinematic is the PERFECT word for it. Would you all describe Nicole's voice as smokey? I'm trying to come up with a one or two word description of her voice and can't quite nail it.

And yes, @NathanRicaud , I can totally see that song being used in a serial killer movie. I'm down for a Nathan is THE MOST blog.

I am also excited to announce that Nicole has agreed to do an AMA!!!! We are still firming up the date. It will probably be the week of Sept 9 (she's headed to Sweden in a few days and will be there until around then. Do we have any members from Sweden? Member. Hehe). @agutierrezb has been gracious enough to allow the AMA to occur during his hint dropping month. I'll be sure to give everyone a few days notice and to get a thread started. If you can't join at the time Nicole chooses, I'll have the thread open a bit before so you can still submit questions. I think this could be a really great AMA based on all the discussions and emotions and ideas the album is eliciting from you all.

This really warms my heart, all. I've had a rough go of things lately and this thread and the music and all the discussion and laughs we have had in here has been so good for my soul. I squealed with glee when Nicole responded to me. This has been such a fun idea - for N&G to pick albums. Thank you to everyone that got it going, I'm not even sure who it all was - but I know @ChristoBee was key. Thank you for all your participation. Just thank you for being so great! (No, I'm not drunk or stoned, just happy).

Also, I keep telling people to watch the Listen Up video. It honestly did not even occur to me to just link it in here. SMH. Sometimes I confuse myself with how inane I can be. But here it is!

I hope things will go better for you very quickly! Concerning the AMA, these are fantastic news. Thanks again for your time and work on this thread :love:

Back