Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

They sent you that by mistake? Lol. At least it isn't Sepultra - which I got once instead of Lily Hiatt.
Yes, they did. I would have kept the Selpultura and reordered Atkins.

Last time they sent me a wrong record it became a whole thing. I ordered a Jobim record and got some prog rock album I can't remember, Florence and the Machines and some other record I already owned. Then they wanted me to repurchase it with super fast shipping they would refund (I declined) and then charged me for the item even though I had returned them all and they had acknowledged receipt.

Last edited:
Here's some further listening:

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis. Nicole is clearly influenced by Dusty. And this is getting a 45 rpm repress.

Another great singer/songwriter-esque albums from 2017. Her voice is gorgeous and these are really soothing songs.

Arum Rae - Sub Rosa

A pop album I almost chose but didn't because I believe that other club has had it in their store and that, to me, meant a lot of people would have been aware of it. This isn't the typical pop, but more piano pop. I don't know, just let me have that description!

Jessie Ware - Glasshouse

And this was my 2nd pick for AOTM, but is rather rare on vinyl. This is not pop. This is an all female 90s indie band out of England.

Electrelane - Axes.

@Lee Newman and @anyone else that may order through Amazon -

I sent this to 2 of our friends. They both received the album and ….. it was Jason Isbell! It seems like Amazon has an incorrect label on something somewhere. I'm getting it sorted out, just beware - if you order from Amazon, open your package immediately and check that you actually got Nicole and not Jason.

2 great artists for sure! But man, Amazon, smh.

Dusty Springfield - Dusty in Memphis. Nicole is clearly influenced by Dusty. And this is getting a 45 rpm repress.

Another great singer/songwriter-esque albums from 2017. Her voice is gorgeous and these are really soothing songs.

Arum Rae - Sub Rosa

A pop album I almost chose but didn't because I believe that other club has had it in their store and that, to me, meant a lot of people would have been aware of it. This isn't the typical pop, but more piano pop. I don't know, just let me have that description!

Jessie Ware - Glasshouse

And this was my 2nd pick for AOTM, but is rather rare on vinyl. This is not pop. This is an all female 90s indie band out of England.

Electrelane - Axes.

Love this Electrelane album. Great add-ons :)

I sent this to 2 of our friends. They both received the album and ….. it was Jason Isbell! It seems like Amazon has an incorrect label on something somewhere. I'm getting it sorted out, just beware - if you order from Amazon, open your package immediately and check that you actually got Nicole and not Jason.

Fun. My second copy is supposed to arrive today. Will update. If I go through all three I'll contact my local.

Arum Rae - Sub Rosa

Jessie Ware - Glasshouse

Electrelane - Axes.
That Dusty is a top ten all time record for me (and just got added to my stack for the day). I'll be sure to check the others out.

Earlier this year, I sent copies of Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry Sing to two forumites. One got a blues record (at least - was John Lee Hooker or something) and the other guy got Father John Misty. Both were happy with what they received though.... maybe you really mean to pick Isbel?

The '33-1/3 series' book about this album, by Warren Zanes (of the Del Fuegos) is a really great and quick read. I recommend the book more than the album. :D Son of aPreacher Man is fantastic song but it's an outlier on the album which sounds more like easy listening lounge music to me. Will re-spin it again anyway, because @Teeeee says so.

Back