Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

Skipping has always been a thing though, be it people jumping up to move the needle to the next band, cassette players that had auto search functions to find a blank spot to start back at, to it becoming easy with CDs. The record companies have pushed forth the single mentality with Now That’s Music Compilations and the restructuring of charts to account for streams. more and more recording artists seem to be building their greatest hits.

It’s also important to remember that the album has its origins in singles being collected.

It’s cyclical and as much as people want to cry out that the album is dying, there a lot of people making concept albums or still using the album to a potential instead of filler around bangers.

I know I’m just a grump. I do think that adding streams to the charts has murdered the single as an art form rather than the album. Every track of Ed Sheerans album being the top 10 leaves the singles charts devoid of any meaning!

I know I’m just a grump. I do think that adding streams to the charts has murdered the single as an art form rather than the album. Every track of Ed Sheerans album being the top 10 leaves the singles charts devoid of any meaning!
You can make an argument either way. Clearly if that’s happening, people are connecting with his albums more...

You can make an argument either way. Clearly if that’s happening, people are connecting with his albums more...

As someone who sees albums and singles as two different, and equally important, art forms I find it a tad depressing. Also just the fact that I bought singles and albums and played them to the point of destruction as a teenager. It only counted once...

As someone who sees albums and singles as two different, and equally important, art forms I find it a tad depressing. Also just the fact that I bought singles and albums and played them to the point of destruction as a teenager. It only counted once...
I get that. There are also plenty of albums you and I bought that we only listened to once as well. All those used albums we own, only counted once.

There is not and probably never will be a way to get a true picture of what everyone is listening to.

I like my personal data more than charts anyhow. It’s like a living journal. I can see trends. Helps me know what I truly like.

I get that. There are also plenty of albums you and I bought that we only listened to once as well. All those used albums we own, only counted once.

There is not and probably never will be a way to get a true picture of what everyone is listening to.

I like my personal data more than charts anyhow. It’s like a living journal. I can see trends. Helps me know what I truly like.

Completely fair. I just have a nostalgia of the charts and radio containing good songs subverting the mainstream and charting high, going out to buy singles by your favourite band not just for the b sides, or even the single, but also to try and get them to number 1 and the just cultural phenomenon that was top of the pops growing up.

Considering the age I had a kid, I'll hopefully be in my 70's when my have grandkids. Past the time I can take care of a toddler safely. It's exhausting and I'm in my 40's and relatively healthy.

I was exhausted when I had a toddler in my twenties.

I’m exhausted after half a day with my 2 year old niece and both of her parents present! Still it was a whole load of fun!

Checking in.
Thanks for the pick @Teeeee !
I’ve really been enjoying this one.
qFA9uyJ.jpg

I know I've been quiet the last few days. Just letting people get their albums in hand. I'm so happy to see so many people were unfamiliar with her and are diving in! Looking forward to some discussion next week!!!

@duke86fan - I haven't forgotten the list of further listening. I'll get those up later today. And try to clean up the first few posts of the thread. 😘

Back