Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 28 - October 2021 /// Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons

your description was amazing... probably will buy the vinylmnky (remember when they were the hip alternative to VMP... that was good) pressing of it, i don't even know anything about blonde redhead but you made me interested in the description of it as a musical roarschach

(its the kind of writing i wish everyone could do... also loved you giving up the albums you wanted but sadly couldn't do.. i kinda wish i gave that for mine)

Not entirely sure who it is but if I were to venture a guess I’d say it’s the lead singer of Karate, Geoff Farina.

I would say is safe to assume it’s not Scott, these isn’t any mention for BTS within this issue.

You may be right, but Scott played with a TON of other groups... Any mention of The Spinanes or Team Dresch, for example?

You may be right, but Scott played with a TON of other groups... Any mention of The Spinanes or Team Dresch, for example?
If they were mentioned I haven’t noticed and they weren’t the main focus of any of the content. The portion focused 90s Indie Rock mostly covers Numero Group reissue artists, Duster, Karate, Seam, and Blonde Redhead.

Since I already have this months ROTM I went ahead and filled out my Blonde Redhead a bit more…
View attachment 111637

In preparation for this month, I got Fake Can Be Just As Good... I am surprised it took me so long.

Once that Numero pre-order arrives, I will have the first five in my collection. Surprised the 4AD stuff is not as easy to come by.

this is a very good record, I remember when this came out and being blown away. side A is unbelievable. the b sides/EPs around this time are very good.

I shared my experiences with this album and this band in the right up, I'm just curious where other people are at.

Is there anyone who had this album already and wants to speak about it?

Is there anyone who would forgotten about this album and is rediscovering it?

Is there anybody who is unfamiliar with us and is coming to it for the first time?

I would love to hear what everybody thinks!

I shared my experiences with this album and this band in the right up, I'm just curious where other people are at.

Is there anybody who is unfamiliar with us and is coming to it for the first time?

all I will say, at the time this came out , for me, no one sounded like this. The sonic youth comparisons (being on smells like records didn't help a few years back before touch n go signed them) faded away. I can't pinpoint the feeling, it's a bleak record.

It is also funny because the did almost make sure you remember their name came from DNA (how “mother” sounds)

Last edited:

I remember reading and hearing about Blonde Redhead in the early 2000s but initially didn’t give them much of a chance. It wasn’t until a few years ago, as I began filling out my Sonic Youth vinyl collection; did I revisit them in earnest. I picked up both Misery Is A Butterfly and …Damaged Lemons at the same time on wax I had the opportunity to purchase deluxe Damaged Lemons with the alternate artwork and colored vinyl but opted for an earlier used repress instead mainly because it was pressed at RTI. I listened to both a great deal for a few months afterwards but hadn’t listened to either much recently. While neither of these albums in particular sound like Sonic Youth, they sound like a band that would have opened for SY. Stellar guitar work and beautiful vocals. As someone who missed the boat upon their initial run it’s nice to know that, in an era where there’s a dearth of guitar centric indie rock; there are untapped gems still around like Blonde Redhead to scratch that itch.

I remember reading and hearing about Blonde Redhead in the early 2000s but initially didn’t give them much of a chance. It wasn’t until a few years ago, as I began filling out my Sonic Youth vinyl collection; did I revisit them in earnest. I picked up both Misery Is A Butterfly and …Damaged Lemons at the same time on wax I had the opportunity to purchase deluxe Damaged Lemons with the alternate artwork and colored vinyl but opted for an earlier used repress instead mainly because it was pressed at RTI. I listened to both a great deal for a few months afterwards but hadn’t listened to either much recently. While neither of these albums in particular sound like Sonic Youth, they sound like a band that would have opened for SY. Stellar guitar work and beautiful vocals. As someone who missed the boat upon their initial run it’s nice to know that, in an era where there’s a dearth of guitar centric indie rock; there are untapped gems still around like Blonde Redhead to scratch that itch.
Those early records on smells like records (Steve shelly’s label) unfortunately got labeled sonic youth clones (also if I remember and I believe this is also in the numero box, the demo got passed to Steve at like a 7-11?)

this record and butterfly arguably broke them away from the SY comparisons. Though I love those SLR releases.

Back