Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 23 - May 2021 // Harmony Woods - Make Yourself at Home

So, it appears that, in addition to Wilson Phillips listening party, we prob need a knife handling/etiquette session led by @cul8er and @avecigrec in this thread sometime in May.

Ha Ha! :D

I would love to show off my knife collection (not a euphemism, I swear).

Here is probably one of the best storage systems. It is a magnetic strip that can be mounted on the wall, or in my case just laid in a drawer. The knives will then stick to the magnet and never touch each other. The black box labeled Spyderco is a great sharpening system. It sets sharpening stones at the proper angles, 40° edge V for most blades, 30° edge V for the Japanese knives (they actually can be even smaller angle).

PXL_20210430_205042099.jpg

Another just as good option is the standard wooden block. Again, the idea is to not have the knives touch each other.

PXL_20210430_205427553.jpg

For actual cutting techniques, there are hundreds of videos for the style of chopping/slicing that you may need. I really like this one.

Last edited:
Yet another Harmony Woods livestream this Sunday.

View attachment 97601
Fair warning to anyone planning to check this out...this is literally the same pre-recorded set that she contributed to The Alternative a couple weekends ago. Solid set, but not a new one.

Charity thing though, so it was reused for a good cause at least :)

Last edited:
Also, if you haven't picked up your copy of the album yet, what better time to bite the bullet than on Bandcamp Friday?....vinyl copies on the bandcamp page...also recommend Harmony Woods' other albums, Nothing Special and GRACEFUL RAGE, which are also both available on bandcamp in digital and physical formats:)

It’s like Phoebe made a jangly indie pop record with some bite to it. Like if Punisher continued from the vibe of I Know the End... this would not be out of place. In fact, I’d say it scratches that itch quite well. There are times it is verging on pop punk but it never crosses into the cheesiness of say Blink 182 or later Green Day. Seems confessional (lyrics are never my first draw, a first listen usually has me lose myself in the soundscape). There are times the melodies approach a country aesthetic, I also get shades of Alanis. Still not sure emo is for me but this will get respins for sure.

Since it's still May for a bit, I feel I shouldn't completely abandon this thread.

Here's a link to a Harmony Woods voice memo demo from 2018, which probably would have been around the time Make Yourself at Home was being written/recorded (can't say that for certain though). Either way, it's material that doesn't appear on any of the albums:)

Back