Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Also, that might be the best episode of the US Office (Which is kinda strange since not much of it takes place at the actual office).

It’s my personal favorite. So many great lines, and that volatile relationship between Jan and Michael was like a bad car wreck.

I think we’ve all been third wheels to disaster relationships like that, and the slow burn was great. It was done in almost a horror movie kind of way where they were all held hostage by these monsters. A+ writing.

does the show get better after episode 1

because im not really enjoying episode 1.. just a bit too awkward

If the awkward humor isn't for you, you aren't going to enjoy the show. The quality improves drastically as it goes along, but the awkwardness gets far more intense. There are points where there is relief, but that's what the show's writing revels in.

My wife can't stand the show for this reason - she hates the anxiety generated from awkward humor. I personally love it but I understand it's not for everyone.

The first few episodes of the American version tried to basically copy the British version of the show. It...wasn't the way to go. They fix some of those problems and warm up the characters in subsequent seasons.

Definitely liked the more American approach. I can get down with British humor usually, but I loved the "warmness" of the American version with human stories and a shared bond and camaraderie that wasn't there with the British version. It was too "mean" for me.

does the show get better after episode 1

because im not really enjoying episode 1.. just a bit too awkward
If the awkward humor isn't for you, you aren't going to enjoy the show. The quality improves drastically as it goes along, but the awkwardness gets far more intense. There are points where there is relief, but that's what the show's writing revels in.

My wife can't stand the show for this reason - she hates the anxiety generated from awkward humor. I personally love it but I understand it's not for everyone.
I remember feeling that way watching it the first time as it was airing but now it is only the really awkward ones like the episode you posted that make me cringe (but in a good way?). I think it was the Office that got me to appreciate that kind of humor a lot more.

First episode I watched was S2 E10 "Christmas Party" while it was first airing and that got me into it. Season 2 is definitely the way to go over Season 1 IMO.
do i miss anything skipping season 1 or is it all just episodic

also what is the episode that clip was from so i can watch that one as well

just so i know if it isn't just that the show isn't or me

Definitely liked the more American approach. I can get down with British humor usually, but I loved the "warmness" of the American version with human stories and a shared bond and camaraderie that wasn't there with the British version. It was too "mean" for me.

Did Ricky’s latest show, After Life make its way over there? It’s one of my favourite shows of the past year. It’s full of typical Gervais mean spiritedness and bad taste black humour but it’s balanced perfectly with the tragedy of loss and mourning and the most warm lovely moments. Highly recommended if it’s available over there.

Did Ricky’s latest show, After Life make its way over there? It’s one of my favourite shows of the past year. It’s full of typical Gervais mean spiritedness and bad taste black humour but it’s balanced perfectly with the tragedy of loss and mourning and the most warm lovely moments. Highly recommended if it’s available over there.

I wasn’t aware of it but it’s on Netflix so I’ll give it a go!

do i miss anything skipping season 1 or is it all just episodic

also what is the episode that clip was from so i can watch that one as well

just so i know if it isn't just that the show isn't or me

Clip was from the Dinner Party S4 E13. I wouldn’t recommend that one until you’ve gotten to know the characters a bit better. There are episodic themes and relationships, but they are (although essential to fully appreciating the show) secondary to the humor.

so where should i start
I would recommend just powering through the first season. It’s rough but has its moments. You will be rewarded by some of the character development the first season sets in motion. The 2nd season is where it really hits its stride.

Season 1: Bad but worth watching

Season 2 thru Season 5: Peak Office.

Season 6 thru Season 7: Pretty Good (but definitely a step down from their prime)

Season 8 thru Season 9: Bad. Watch at your own risk

Last edited:
Back