Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

this is why you are cool

even if i disagree with you on some things you filthy capitalist
V9jC927_d.jpg

This Khemmis album is amazing and has me rethinking my assumptions that I don't like metal. I need some more recommendations like this please.

Depending on what you like about it, we can direct you to the right places. In the meantime, Khemmis has 2 other albums that are similar enough. Their debut is more straightforward fuzzy doom and their follow up to Hunted has more traditional heavy metal elements.

Pallbearer is similar in tone with a singer that actually has some good pipes on him. Really good stuff through all their output IMO.

Spirit Adrift is really good, and they have more of the traditional heavy metal elements to their sound as well.

Visigoth - Revenant King is amazing.

Haunt - If Icarus Could Fly is a newer release of some interesting/fresh trad. Heavy Metal revival.

This Khemmis album is amazing and has me rethinking my assumptions that I don't like metal. I need some more recommendations like this please.

Check out Witch. Their self titled is great and should be right up your alley. View attachment 11329

Great recommendation. Also, the drummer is J Mascis, if that does anything for you.

I wish more metal had non-stereotypical metal vocals, like this one seems to, to me. If anyone has any recommendations that fit that bill, let me know.

I'm not really that into metal, but listening to this right now just because that vinyl looks beautiful. I'm enjoying it! Definitely will be picking this up if it is the AOTM
Whoever took that picture really did a good job of making it look extra cool on that back-lighted pic on the left.

As @Goatfish mentions, Pallbearer has a very similar sound and is how I found Khemmis. Other bands l like that I consider in similar vein are Bell Witch, Windhand, and King Woman.

As @Goatfish mentions, Pallbearer has a very similar sound and is how I found Khemmis. Other bands l like that I consider in similar vein are Bell Witch, Windhand, and King Woman.

Doom in general is full of great music with non-growls/screams.

Great resource for people interested in great, usually accessible new metal:

rethinking my assumptions that I don't like metal.
Metal is like any other genres or styles of music; It casts such a wide net it can be a bit presumptuous to assume you don't like it based of one band, or album, or song. For example, I am not super big on death metal but love Doom and Thrash. All of these styles of metal are quite different (in general though; like lots of things, there are hybrids) but still all considered metal. That goes with all genre of music really and something that I wish I realized earlier in life.

Back