Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 18 - December 2020 /// Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Michael Brook – Mustt Mustt

Such a great album - the first N&G AOTM I already owned. He's got a great (and huge) discography to explore - if people are looking for more, both Shahen-Shah and Live at WOMAD 1985 have had recent reissues and are well worth checking out.

thanks a ton for your additional recommendations!
I have to confess that I only own Mustt Mustt of his extremely extended discography and I go back to this quite regularly!
Night song is the second album published with Michael Brook and possible a second option to explore his work.

@Poly-Rythmo feel free to add more on Nusrat discography if you have the time.
I, for one, would like to learn more, and would benefit from an experienced guide!

one more note if you like how this album sounds.... or if you find it too different....

Victoria Bergsman (the girl singing the chorus in the famous "young folks" single by Peter, Bjorn and John, and lead singer for the Concretes) published, under the name Taken by Trees, an album East of Eden in 2009 inspired by her travels to the middle East, and specifically Pakistan.

While not an album of original Pakistani music, it definitely is inspired by the country sounds, and could be a nice passage to Nusrat's music if the jump from your/our westernized ears is too big.
the music is mellow, and has a nice vibe.
and if you need an additional hook... it has few members from Animal Collective involved too (+ a cover).
Enjoy!

thanks a ton for your additional recommendations!
I have to confess that I only own Mustt Mustt of his extremely extended discography and I go back to this quite regularly!
Night song is the second album published with Michael Brook and possible a second option to explore his work.

@Poly-Rythmo feel free to add more on Nusrat discography if you have the time.
I, for one, would like to learn more, and would benefit from an experienced guide!
Mustt Mustt is a really fantastic album. I probably should have put it in my top 50 all-time albums. It's a great "fusion" album in that Michael Brook takes the traditional Sufi songs of Nusrat and plays around with them just a bit. Night Song involves more playing around (if I remember correctly - it's a while since I heard it as I don't like it as much) and is worth checking out. I'm a big fan of Nusrat's more traditional songs, which are largely improvised and can stretch to 10-15-20 minutes. It's devotional music where you can feel the passion in it. There are literally hundreds of cassettes and CDs from Pakistan of him. The easiest traditional stuff to get by him on vinyl are the albums either side of Mustt Mustt on Peter Gabriel's Real World records. Shahen-Shah came out in 1989 and was reissued a couple of years back, I picked up a cheap OG of Shahbaaz which came out after Mustt Mustt in 1991 - both are excellent and seem to be reasonably easy to find. Even more recent is the 1985 concert from WOMAD that introduced him to western audiences. It's also wonderful. One I haven't checked out on Real World is Last Prophet from 1994. I also have Dust to Gold on CD, which I haven't listened to in ages but think are pretty much his last performances before he died in 1997. Anyway, if you enjoy Mustt Mustt - which you should! - there's a lot else to explore.

Had 3 or 4 mad days and still i’m the middle of it. But had to drop in and say -

another excellent N&G pick. Been listening to this when walking to various appointments and i dig it ! ... And expect it to arrive in a few days 🕺🏼

Such a great album - the first N&G AOTM I already owned.

same. there's also some nusrat on passion:sources which is a sort of mixtape/record that peter gabriel listened to as inspiration when recording "passion" the soundtrack to the last temptation of christ, which was my personal introduction to "world" music, ages and ages ago.

we're almost in January 2021 AoTM territory (@duke86fan will be the one to manage that responsibility!)
Over a week has passed since the (not so) surprising reveal party.
I assume we all have had some time to digest the album and hopefully give it one spin or more.
What's your favorite track?
What's the impression of the entire album?
Keep posting pics of your copy as it is being delivered...

unfortunately I'm not able to arrange an AMA, since the good old Nusrat passed way back in 1997.
I've recently learned that his nephew Rahat has been touring the world and playing Nusrat music, only to end up in a legal battle with Nusrat daughter about it... so I'll skip this controversy and leave you to explore (if interested) his original catalogue.

we're almost in January 2021 AoTM territory (@duke86fan will be the one to manage that responsibility!)
Over a week has passed since the (not so) surprising reveal party.
I assume we all have had some time to digest the album and hopefully give it one spin or more.
What's your favorite track?
What's the impression of the entire album?
Keep posting pics of your copy as it is being delivered...

unfortunately I'm not able to arrange an AMA, since the good old Nusrat passed way back in 1997.
I've recently learned that his nephew Rahat has been touring the world and playing Nusrat music, only to end up in a legal battle with Nusrat daughter about it... so I'll skip this controversy and leave you to explore (if interested) his original catalogue.
I’m still waiting on my copy.

I got the order in today!!!

...and the company sent the WRONG DAMN ALBUM!!!
I'm sure whoever ELDER are, they make fine music, but NOT what I ordered.

Working with them to figure this out.
Prog-metal of the highest caliber. They have a bandcamp if you want to have a taste.

Back