Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 17 - November 2020 /// Les Discrets Septembre et Ses Dernières Pensées

In French? I need some artists to check out here!
I mostly meant they have an affinity for it, not that it's at all native. I'll defer to our French friends for recommendations, as the artists I heard were in backyards in Haguenau. certain areas just seem to have a hefty appreciation for banjo and twang- lots of Willie & Waylon-style covers, or swingy Bob Wills takes. I think there is a large yeehaw festival near Toulouse, as well.

there's pedal steel in Francis Cabrel tracks sometimes, and plenty of French-Canadians to scratch the language itch though- I think Las Fréres Cheminaud and Canailles are fun.

I mostly meant they have an affinity for it, not that it's at all native. I'll defer to our French friends for recommendations, as the artists I heard were in backyards in Haguenau. certain areas just seem to have a hefty appreciation for banjo and twang- lots of Willie & Waylon-style covers, or swingy Bob Wills takes. I think there is a large yeehaw festival near Toulouse, as well.

there's pedal steel in Francis Cabrel tracks sometimes, and plenty of French-Canadians to scratch the language itch though- I think Las Fréres Cheminaud and Canailles are fun.

5DC4ABF1-5861-4539-96CA-8CFBF3475305.jpeg

if Canada counts, Lisa LeBlanc fuckin' shreds on the banjo- both English and French. a little bit country, a lotta bit rock n roll.

often in a unicorn skater skirt. TRY IT OUT, GOML JOE.

also, very excited to dive into this album. thanks, Bliss.

What does GOML mean? I’m not very good with these internet acronyms, I need someone to explain each one the first time I see it...

That sounds like the kinda chaos I’d buy into when I’m not feeling lethargic...

Reactions: Tyr
i'll order this one later.. christmas saving and all means i wont buy as much vinyl but i will buy this AND what was one of my contenders for my ROTM (jay reatards blood visions, its not that just so you know) together

I have no idea what the title of tracks are, but there was like one song that sounded shoegazey to me. I’m certainly no an expert there or in metal in general though. I did quite enjoy it though.

View attachment 70921

Now comes the hardest part of all of this, putting into words why this album was selected. I don't even know where to begin. I remember when I first started collecting vinyl, only buying albums from artists I knew. It wasn't until a visit to Ralph's Record store in Lubbock did I stumble across an album that would change everything. As I picked up the Rambler, I knew nothing about Gabor or his music, but the album cover was enticing and for $5 it was worth the gamble. There was something about the cover that connected with me and opened my eyes to a new way of exploring music especially after so long of "finding them on the internet" and downloading them onto my ipod. It was hard to justify buying vinyl when you could listen for free. But it was after that moment of finding the Rambler that I began buying records not just because I knew their music but because of the experience they provided. It was easier to gamble on some records before the vinyl boom sent prices soaring, luckily you can still find gems here and there. So now when I buy vinyl I am seeking out those artists who can go above and beyond and provide the whole package. From the artwork to the inner sleeves, I especially love it when a poster is included. So my number one priority was finding a record that stuck to those principles, a project that was as equally focused on the auditory and visual concepts of art.

So, you may be wondering how does Les Discrets come into play? I came across Fursy Teyssier when the American Dollar put out The Technicolor Sleep, Fursy had the opportunity to design the cover and in my opinion it was the perfect accompaniment to the music. As a huge American Dollar fan learning about Fursy was a treat in and of itself. It also provided me the opportunity go outside of America and enter France. In 2007 I did not know much about France's music scene but knowing Fursy I felt like I had a great introduction to the scene, all I had to do was follow his influences and expand. So, as I narrowed down my selections I wanted to highlight a project that encompasses everything I love about music and Les Discrets fits that description. Watching as Fursy got closer with Neige with Amesoeurs, I was thrilled when he finally took the opportunity to create his own project with Les Discrets.

Both the auditory and visual influences that surround you as you put on an album is part of the overall journey you have with that piece of art. Whether it's putting on `insert a band you enjoy here` while climbing mountains, or sitting back holding the album in your hands as you sit back and enjoy them on the comforts of your couch, or even getting the opportunity to go to a venue and see them live, each vantage point provides a different experience. When my name was selected to be the selection of November I had to take everything that 2020 threw at me and provide an album that encompasses this period of time. A pandemic, a divided nation (for some of us), so much chaos and yet we are forced to find bliss in these moments when everything looks bleak. As I picked up Septembre et Ses Dernières Pensées the cover was what sold me as the selection.

Septembre et Ses Dernières Pensées is the debut album from Les Discrets and it incorporates the holy trinity of life: nature, love and death as the underlying concept of the album. If there's anything that 2020 has done to me is show me how much those themes run across my mind on a daily basis. Les Discrets pushes the envelope and experiments with many different genres and does a nice job blending them together into a single cohesive album. As fall fades into winter Les Discrets is my selection to accompany you as you sit next to your fireplace during these cold days.

Purchase here:
(US) Prophecy US | Les Discrets - Septembre et ses dernières pensées Vinyl Gatefold LP | Violet | purchase online
(EU) Prophecy | Les Discrets - Septembre et ses dernières pensées Vinyl Gatefold LP | Violet | purchase online
(GER) Prophecy | Les Discrets - Septembre et ses dernières pensées Vinyl Gatefold LP | Violet | online kaufen
Nice write up!

Back