Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 11 - May 2020 /// Kendra Morris - Mockingbird

kendra morris did an in-studio band performance/interview for paste magazine, performing a few songs from the new record, and opening with her great concrete waves. new album songs played are who we are, this life (with tech difficulties!), and a solo penny pincher performed on her 69 fender mustang.

we got a giveaway going on courtesy of @KendraMorris herself!

we got a giveaway going on courtesy of @KendraMorris herself!

10 days left for this! get your entry in!

also, new video:

I've having some technology issues that I'm too lazy to figure out, but I did buy the LP. I mention it not to snake an entry, but to continue showing my support for the artist. Looking forward to getting it!

kendra's guest spot with the band night owls on a cover of average white band's 'school boy crush' that was previously released on a 7" is now the opening track to their lp covers collection 'versions'

1. School Girl Crush (feat. Kendra Morris) 04:44
2. Groovin (feat. Jamie Allensworth) 03:09
3. You Got To Be A Man (feat. Sy Smith) 03:16
4. Gimme Little Sign (feat. Chris Dowd) 02:45
5. Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) (feat. Terin Ector) 03:39
6. Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get (feat. Alex Désert, Jesse Wagner & Malik "The Freq" Moore) 03:30
7. Aht Uh Mi Hed (feat. John Arthur Bigham) 03:24
8. Gossip (feat. Malik "The Freq" Moore) 02:50
9. Me and Baby Brother (feat. Kevin Sandbloom) 03:17
10. There's A Break in the Road (feat. Afrodyete) 03:02
11. Put On Train 03:23
12. Let's Stay Together (feat. Destani Wolf) 03:30
13. This Christmas (feat. Durand Jones) 03:22

Since their debut 45 back in 2019, Night Owls have consistently taken the bar up a notch re-imagining classic funk & soul with a Jamaican twist. With eight sold out 45’s in a span of three years and regular airplay on BBC6, KCRW and more, we’re happy to announce this much anticipated LP “Versions” comprising all their groove filled singles to date.

This all-star production team comprised of Dan Ubick (The Lions, Connie Price and the Keystones, De La Soul) on Guitar & Percussion, Blake Colie (Arise Roots, The Lions, Hollie Cook) on Drum Kit, Dave Wilder (The Lions, Ziggy Marley, Macy Gray) on Bass, and Roger Rivas (The Aggrolites, Jason Mraz, LBDA) on Organ & Piano, team up with many of today’s top soul singers to bring their signature take on beloved chart topping hits and deep cuts. Featuring vocalists Afrodyete (Breakestra), Terin Ector (Orgone), Durand Jones (The Indications), Malik “The Freq” Moore (The Lions), Alex Désert (Hepcat, The Lions), Jesse Wagner (The Aggrolites), Jamie Allensworth (Jungle Fire), Sy Smith (Macy Gray, Sheila E.), Chris Dowd (Fishbone), John Arther Bigham (Fishbone, Soul Of John Black), Kevin Sandbloom, Kendra Morris and Destani Wolf (Matisyahu, The Pharcyde), each track was carefully selected by producer Dan Ubick to match the featured vocalists strength resulting in a heavy soul and dub infused LP that surely won’t want to leave your turntable!

“What an amazing rendition of the song “Gossip” by Night Owls. Great work on a song that I wrote and produced, almost 50 years, ago, for Cyril Neville. Amazing.” - Leo Nocentelli (The Meters)

“Sounds funky good!” - Lonnie Jordan (War)
credits
releases March 25, 2022

Produced by Dan Ubick and Night Owls. Recorded and Mixed by Dan Ubick for DanUbe Productions at The Lions Den in Topanga, CA. Mastered by Golden Mastering

kendra's guest spot with the band night owls on a cover of average white band's 'school boy crush' that was previously released on a 7" is now the opening track to their lp covers collection 'versions'

1. School Girl Crush (feat. Kendra Morris) 04:44
2. Groovin (feat. Jamie Allensworth) 03:09
3. You Got To Be A Man (feat. Sy Smith) 03:16
4. Gimme Little Sign (feat. Chris Dowd) 02:45
5. Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler) (feat. Terin Ector) 03:39
6. Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get (feat. Alex Désert, Jesse Wagner & Malik "The Freq" Moore) 03:30
7. Aht Uh Mi Hed (feat. John Arthur Bigham) 03:24
8. Gossip (feat. Malik "The Freq" Moore) 02:50
9. Me and Baby Brother (feat. Kevin Sandbloom) 03:17
10. There's A Break in the Road (feat. Afrodyete) 03:02
11. Put On Train 03:23
12. Let's Stay Together (feat. Destani Wolf) 03:30
13. This Christmas (feat. Durand Jones) 03:22

Since their debut 45 back in 2019, Night Owls have consistently taken the bar up a notch re-imagining classic funk & soul with a Jamaican twist. With eight sold out 45’s in a span of three years and regular airplay on BBC6, KCRW and more, we’re happy to announce this much anticipated LP “Versions” comprising all their groove filled singles to date.

This all-star production team comprised of Dan Ubick (The Lions, Connie Price and the Keystones, De La Soul) on Guitar & Percussion, Blake Colie (Arise Roots, The Lions, Hollie Cook) on Drum Kit, Dave Wilder (The Lions, Ziggy Marley, Macy Gray) on Bass, and Roger Rivas (The Aggrolites, Jason Mraz, LBDA) on Organ & Piano, team up with many of today’s top soul singers to bring their signature take on beloved chart topping hits and deep cuts. Featuring vocalists Afrodyete (Breakestra), Terin Ector (Orgone), Durand Jones (The Indications), Malik “The Freq” Moore (The Lions), Alex Désert (Hepcat, The Lions), Jesse Wagner (The Aggrolites), Jamie Allensworth (Jungle Fire), Sy Smith (Macy Gray, Sheila E.), Chris Dowd (Fishbone), John Arther Bigham (Fishbone, Soul Of John Black), Kevin Sandbloom, Kendra Morris and Destani Wolf (Matisyahu, The Pharcyde), each track was carefully selected by producer Dan Ubick to match the featured vocalists strength resulting in a heavy soul and dub infused LP that surely won’t want to leave your turntable!

“What an amazing rendition of the song “Gossip” by Night Owls. Great work on a song that I wrote and produced, almost 50 years, ago, for Cyril Neville. Amazing.” - Leo Nocentelli (The Meters)

“Sounds funky good!” - Lonnie Jordan (War)
credits
releases March 25, 2022

Produced by Dan Ubick and Night Owls. Recorded and Mixed by Dan Ubick for DanUbe Productions at The Lions Den in Topanga, CA. Mastered by Golden Mastering

I knew I recognized the band name. I have a seven inch i bought from Colemine with Durand Jones on vocals.

Added all the singles to date to my listening queue...

in case you missed it, @KendraMorris is touring with monophonics later this year. this will be my first time seeing her ever after 10 years or so of being a fan, so i am excited for that.

Thu, SEP 15 - Music Box - San Diego, CA
Fri, SEP 16 - Fonda Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
Sat, SEP 17 - The Independent - San Francisco, CA
Sun, SEP 18 - Catalyst - Santa Cruz, CA
Wed, SEP 21 - Imperial Theater - Chinatown De Vancouver, Canada
Thu, SEP 22 - The Crocodile - Seattle, WA
Fri, SEP 23 - Wonder Ballroom - Portland, OR
Sun, SEP 25 - BING CROSBY THEATER - Spokane, WA
Wed, SEP 28 - Soundwell - Salt Lake City, UT
Thu, SEP 29 - Fox Theatre - Boulder, CO
Fri, SEP 30 - Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom - Denver, CO
Sat, OCT 1 - The Wave Outdoor - Wichita, KS
Mon, OCT 3 - Fine Line Music Cafe - Minneapolis, MN
Wed, OCT 5 - Shank Hall - Milwaukee, WI
Thu, OCT 6 - Chop Shop - Chicago, IL
Fri, OCT 7 - Madison Theater - Covington, KY
Sat, OCT 8 - Buckhead Theatre - Atlanta, GA
Sun, OCT 9 - Music Farm - Charleston, SC
Wed, OCT 12 - Salvage Station - Asheville, NC
Thu, OCT 13 - The Underground - Fillmore Charlotte - Charlotte, NC
Fri, OCT 14 - 9:30 Club - Washington, DC
Sat, OCT 15 - Music Hall of Williamsburg - Brooklyn, NY
Sun, OCT 16 - Middle East Downstairs - Cambridge, MA

in case you missed it, @KendraMorris is touring with monophonics later this year. this will be my first time seeing her ever after 10 years or so of being a fan, so i am excited for that.

Thu, SEP 15 - Music Box - San Diego, CA
Fri, SEP 16 - Fonda Theatre - Los Angeles, CA
Sat, SEP 17 - The Independent - San Francisco, CA
Sun, SEP 18 - Catalyst - Santa Cruz, CA
Wed, SEP 21 - Imperial Theater - Chinatown De Vancouver, Canada
Thu, SEP 22 - The Crocodile - Seattle, WA
Fri, SEP 23 - Wonder Ballroom - Portland, OR
Sun, SEP 25 - BING CROSBY THEATER - Spokane, WA
Wed, SEP 28 - Soundwell - Salt Lake City, UT
Thu, SEP 29 - Fox Theatre - Boulder, CO
Fri, SEP 30 - Cervantes Masterpiece Ballroom - Denver, CO
Sat, OCT 1 - The Wave Outdoor - Wichita, KS
Mon, OCT 3 - Fine Line Music Cafe - Minneapolis, MN
Wed, OCT 5 - Shank Hall - Milwaukee, WI
Thu, OCT 6 - Chop Shop - Chicago, IL
Fri, OCT 7 - Madison Theater - Covington, KY
Sat, OCT 8 - Buckhead Theatre - Atlanta, GA
Sun, OCT 9 - Music Farm - Charleston, SC
Wed, OCT 12 - Salvage Station - Asheville, NC
Thu, OCT 13 - The Underground - Fillmore Charlotte - Charlotte, NC
Fri, OCT 14 - 9:30 Club - Washington, DC
Sat, OCT 15 - Music Hall of Williamsburg - Brooklyn, NY
Sun, OCT 16 - Middle East Downstairs - Cambridge, MA
I'll plan on catching one of the NC shows. Do you happen to know if Kendra is cool with taping?

Salvage station for the win. Are you in WNC? If so, keep. an eye out for Riverbreeze event center here in Knoxville. My good friend is opening that venue in Sept.

Looks like a cool spot. I'm about 3.5 hours away from Knoxville so not exactly in my back yard but also not out of the question for the right band.

Back when we were in the planning stages of 'Nine Lives" with Kendra, she swung by our studio in Loveland and recorded a few stripped down versions of tracks from her then forthcoming LP. While here, she also recorded a moody version of "Come Wander With Me", a song featured in a 1964 episode of 'The Twilight Zone'. We worked on several tunes while she was here that had Cincinnati roots and this felt on point as 'The Twilight Zone' had its roots in Cincinnati when it was known in the mid-50s as Rod Serling's 'The Storm'.

Filmed by Mitch LaGrow, Whitney Pelfrey, and Leroi Conroy
Edited by Whitney Pelfrey
Engineered by Leroi Conroy

Back