Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 11 - May 2020 /// Kendra Morris - Mockingbird

kendra supplied vocals and other things for a cover of tina turner's 'thunderdome' by the band the push and pull

We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)
by The Push and Pull feat. Kendra Morris

"
Two years ago, I grabbed the 3 train Mon-Thurs, 6:10am to teach music in Brownsville. I had this song on repeat.

Half-laughing, half-crying, I fantasized about distilling the lyrics from the context of the movie, the synth arrangement (...which I do love...). Just hard-hitting soul.

What better message to address the current scene in the White House? The upcoming elections? The amplified divisiveness that could allow a man with no moral compass a free pass in the executive branch?

"Out of the ruin, out from the wreckage, can't make the same mistake this time..."

Fast-forward to last February. News of Covid spread and I called up J.B. and Chris to track the rhythm before things went south. Next thing we knew, the city was in lockdown. Studios were shutting down. I thought of Kendra and Jeremy. With her setup, Kendra knocked out those vocals so good it gives me chills. Jeremy shaped that mix! Gave life to some raw tracks off the 1/4 inch tape.

"Love and compassion, their day is coming, all else are castles built in the air..."

I don't think of this as a political track. It doesn't take sides. I think it takes a step back and looks at the roots of power; warning of the cult of personality, while cultivating our role as the source of the body politic.

Hope you enjoy the track! Thanks to everyone involved in our humble rendition!

Gabriel"

Funny you should ask! I was originally set to leave for a midwest tour starting tomorrow! my best bud and artist pal Julia Haltigan was supposed to go too as well as That Handsome Devil .. that changed real fast!!! waaahh..

my band lineup is we are a 4 piece ( Jeremy Page; who also produced my last albums on guitar, Jeremy Siegel on bass or our friend Nikhil if Jeremy Siegel can't do it and Andy Bauer on drums.. ) for any other sounds like keyboards..we use a track.. we have had a fair share of keyboardists over the years but it gets expensive and it's just one more personality on the road and can get tricky.. ..

Things I do on the road to keep sane.. make weird B horror movies on my phone.. especially if Julia is on tour with us.. her and I have a B horror movie instagram for all our weirdo movies so we'll shoot and edit in the van on our downtime.. I also eat a lot of candy.. too much.. gross amounts.

Daily life effects of Covid.. well.. im home ALL the time now! It's just balancing! I have a 5 year old maniac too so in the first part of the day it's me trying to keep her brain stimulated.. then I work on writing, or a visual project then at night I try to connect with my fans and friends with my now 5 nights a week karaoke happy hour variety show on instagram live that in a ways feels like crate digging because I try to find great sings to cover every day now!!! oh yeah.. and I wear my mask all over the place
I picked up Julia’s album because of you saying that you were going to tour with her and I very much like this:
DEEBD99C-6950-4F77-BE7A-01401867D28F.jpeg

Finally getting around to this one and really enjoying it. Going to put in an order soon. Kind of surprised that I haven't come across her music before. I love all the backing vocals and harmonies and how these covers are fresh and distinctive without losing what made the originals special. Great pick @AndySlash !

thank you. i'll reiterate to anyone reading this now that if you get a chance, give this (and her music in general) a headphone listen. a big part of the appeal of Kendra's music for me is what @Ericj32 mentioned- how she layers her vocals and harmonizes with herself in most if not all of her songs.

Back