Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 11 - May 2020 /// Kendra Morris - Mockingbird

Hmm I can't remember the first one I bought for myself BUT I could tell you that I grew up with my parents crates of records and when I got my own place for the first time I took some of their records with me and listened to these on repeat:
Tower Of Power Bump City
Half Pint In Fine Style
Jackson 5 Third Album
WAR Deliver The Word
Crosby Stills & Nash.

If I was picking an album of the month I'd actually tell you to go listen to my friend Julia Haltigans new album TROUBLE because its an incredible work and more people who've never heard of her need to check her out.. she's a true New Yorker that really found a way to blend her influences of riding motorcycles while growing up in New York, Rock n Roll, little bit of gritty soul, obsession with the apocalypse ..She's a truly unique artist and storyteller. I just think as an independent artists its really hard to get new eyes on your music without a label, lots or money, playlists , publicists.. so when a friends album is well deserving to be heard I gotta say,... check it out! but I guess since its a guessing thing maybe you guys would get stuck figuring who it is!!!,... so then second choice..

Beach Boys Pet Sounds.. my favorite!
Done!

Order placed a few minutes ago :) Thank you again @AndySlash for picking this album and of course @KendraMorris for spending some of your time with us yesterday. I am now looking forward to receiving my records and give it a first spin :)
sorry @Skalap to barge into the conversation re: Kendra Morris
did you order from her website and paid the 20USD shipping?
I saw @AndySlash message about a 20USD international fee and (naively) thought about it being the cost of the album + shipping....
only to realise that the album is 25USD alone.....
so, would it be 45 USD total?

wow, that's a bit steep (but the album is impossible to find anywhere else...)

I saw @AndySlash message about a 20USD international fee and (naively) thought about it being the cost of the album + shipping....

I ordered from her website yes and added Banshee, $70 shipped. After all it's a 2xLP in a gatefold sleeve for $45 shipped. It's pricey yes but still below a certain record that is selling at $40 + $15 shipping and is a single LP in a standard sleeve :p (and it's not even the original artwork).

I ordered from her website yes and added Banshee, $70 shipped. After all it's a 2xLP in a gatefold sleeve for $45 shipped. It's pricey yes but still below a certain record that is selling at $40 + $15 shipping and is a single LP in a standard sleeve :p (and it's not even the original artwork).
I had not looked at that one till now. So, they’re still giant asshats.

you can contact her at kendramorris.info @ gmail .com and she is willing to work something out with international folks to get the record in your hands.

again, my apologies to our members outside the u.s. for violating rule #1 and not closely checking prices before choosing this record.

i've seen a few people order banshee- i'm glad people are checking out her own material, that was my hope with this, by introducing her sound and vocal talents with her covers record, that people would be compelled to check out her own material, which i think is great. it's not like her catalog is huge, so i wanted to give people an entry point into discovering her music on their own. i've had some feedback that made me realize some folks have very strong opinions on covers - something i didn't really anticipate though perhaps should have - and that maybe i should have considered using banshee or babble instead. but in the end, other than my unintentional international cost gaffe, i think i'm satisfied with my choice, and i appreciate everyone giving her music a chance and participating in this thread.

i've seen a few people order banshee- i'm glad people are checking out her own material, that was my hope with this, by introducing her sound and vocal talents with her covers record, that people would be compelled to check out her own material, which i think is great. it's not like her catalog is huge, so i wanted to give people an entry point into discovering her music on their own. i've had some feedback that made me realize some folks have very strong opinions on covers - something i didn't really anticipate though perhaps should have - and that maybe i should have considered using banshee or babble instead. but in the end, other than my unintentional international cost gaffe, i think i'm satisfied with my choice, and i appreciate everyone giving her music a chance and participating in this thread.

I don't mind the fact that it's a cover album as long as it's well done with a personal touch. It's your pick and if you feel that it was the right record to show us, then it was the right record. End of discussion.

The few songs I listened were really good and my girlfriend asked me what we were listening to. I took this opportunity to say: "oh it's Kendra Morris, an American singer and I ordered her record.........s"

from the ama:

I'm so proud of the intricate rounds and harmonies on the verses to the song Old Photos off my record BANSHEE.. it came to me super quick but then when I had to relay all the parts for the final vocal.. I was stumped!!! It was a lot harder than I had realized it was when it came to me!!! I still listen back to that song and am proud..

here is that song

and as i've mentioned, i think headphone listening enhances the experience of listening to how she harmonizes with herself and layers her vocals on top of each other. try it with this track if you can.

Back