Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 11 - May 2020 /// Kendra Morris - Mockingbird

so is it being announced tomorrow to the day after tomorrow

look i just need to see if i like it before i buy it

An album by the Boo Radleys?
giant steps (where the lightning mcqueen clue fits) costs 50 bucks on discogs
so it must be wake up or everythings alright forever as they have MOV pressings (i remember last year i thought music on vinyl was a bootlegger)

but aparently they are on bandcamp... which the boo radleys aren't

also tbh listening to the first song... maybe its just super late and im not used to brit pop but its just... ok... i dunno why it was called shoegaze on wikipedia but wake up isn't hitting me

also tbh listening to the first song... maybe its just super late and im not used to brit pop but its just... ok... i dunno why it was called shoegaze on wikipedia but wake up isn't hitting me
I looked in Andy's discogs collection for any Boo Radleys and found none so, unless he took precaution and took it out of his collection ahead of time (which I did with Clarence, so not out of the question), I'm unsure

in the next couple hours. the artist has a couple live stream things going on this afternoon/evening i want to share so that those interested can view.
i dont see that for the boo radleys.. i see it for cashmere cat, 100 gecs, charli xcx, and benny blanco, but i dunno how those would fit the clues

Without further ado, the May 2020 Needles & Grooves Album of the Month is:

KENDRA MORRIS - MOCKINGBIRD

51DZyuXlN9L.jpg

Wax Poetics Records ‎– WPR028
Released: 2013

Purchase a vinyl copy of the record DIRECT FROM KENDRA for $25 plus shipping at

If you are considering purchasing the record (and I really hope you do), please note that Kendra Morris sells copies of this album and her other music/merch directly through her website. She will be mailing out the records herself. As she is in New York City, which as most everyone knows is currently one of the biggest hotbeds of covid and is in lockdown, she may not be able to ship orders as quickly as she would like.

To that end, she is offering to provide a free digital copy (320kbps mp3) of the album via a download link to you. In order to receive the download, pleasy copy your basic order information (like order # and time/date via email text/screenshot) and your email address and send to my PM inbox and I will share the link with you in a reply. This method will be quicker in getting the actual music to you than Kendra having to make time in her schedule to respond to everyone who orders. Anyone that *does* purchase the 'Mockingbird' album from Kendra directly will be entered into a drawing to win a 'prize pack' of additional Kendra Morris music/merch. Deadline to buy/enter will be whenever the June AotM is announced.

Of course, you are free to purchase wherever you would like. It seems this album can be had at most of the usual online shops for roughly similar prices. But I sure would love it if you purchased it from Kendra herself. She'll even sign the record if you'd like.

WHY I PICKED THIS RECORD

Kendra Morris' music blends genres - soul, rock, psychedelic, funk, and more - with a sound that is both retro and modern. My main goal here is to simply introduce her music to our community, one that I know would appreciate this type of sound, and then let you explore her catalog if you liked what you heard. I felt that by choosing 'Mockingbird', a full-on covers album, I'd give Needles & Grooves members a relatively accessible entry point into her overall sound and vocal talents as she interprets songs we all know and love. On top of that, I feel Kendra Morris is low-key one of the most hard working artists I follow, with her creative endeavors extending beyond just the music she produces.

When you listen to 'Mockingbird', I'd encourage you to do so on good headphones so you can hear her many vocal harmonies that aren't necessarily evident on computer speakers through Spotify/YouTube/etc. Afterward, explore her other music, from her debut 'Banshee', also on Wax Poetics, to her self-released Babble. She has numerous singles on Bandcamp and Soundcloud. There is a lot of Kendra Morris music out there, and hopefully your journey in discovering it all starts right now.

KENDRA MORRIS INFORMATION

Insta: KENDRA MORRIS (@kendramorris) • Instagram photos and videos
Twitter: KendraMorris (@KendraMorris) | Twitter
YouTube: Kendra Morris
Bandcamp: Ride On, by Kendra Morris
Soundcloud:
Facebook: Kendra Morris

TONIGHT (4/24/20) ONLY

Kendra is doing two livestream type events tonight.

One is a 20-minute live performance for an Alice Magazine Virtual Happy Hour event via Zoom Meetings. Kendra is scheduled to be on from 6:25-6:45 EDT. A L I CE M A G A Z I NE (@alice_magazine) • Instagram photos and videos

The other is one of Kendra's frequent late night Karoake Happy Hours she hosts on her Instagram page. During this time of social distancing and being in lockdown, Kendra has been having fun performing karoake for her followers to help find fun diversions from current daily life. Karaoke Happy Hour is scheduled at 10p EDT and has a theme of 'TV Movie Night'.

EXPLANATION OF CLUES

clue #1: it's not beck

clue #2: it's not paula abdul

-------------

clue #3: Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder)
CunbwL0.gif

clue #4: Ride The Lightning
V4S961U.jpg

clue #5: Walk On By
click here, image won't embed for some reason

clue #6: Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Q3sNP08.jpg

clue #7: Black Hole Sun
fYg6FPb.jpg

clue #8: Walk On The Wild Side
EG6rHbn.gif

clue #9: Wicked Game
C8qKPzC.jpg

clue #10: Cry Me A River (you were on to something there, @Murfocakes...)
stand-gif.41148

clue #11: As Long As I've Got You
911-gif.41247

clue #12: Karma Police
drL0DOy.gif

clue #13: Miss You
you-gif.41573

clue #14: I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) (@TCell knew what's up)

clue #15: Space Oddity (@Mr Moore recognized the reference...)
guitar-jpg.42051

-------------

clue #16: This copy of 'The Talented Mr. Ripley' is on the table on the album cover.
highsmith-jpg.42270

clue #17: Mockingbird is a covers album

clue #18: The album is on Wax Poetic Records
genre-jpg.42545

clue #19: it's not the pharcyde (or bloc party), and it's not hip-hop, though the artist has recently worked with some hip-hop artists that some of you might know. (Czarface)

clue #20: The album is called 'Mockingbird'. Listen to that.
tokill-gif.42855

Without further ado, the May 2020 Needles & Grooves Album of the Month is:

KENDRA MORRIS - MOCKINGBIRD

51DZyuXlN9L.jpg

Wax Poetics Records ‎– WPR028
Released: 2013

Purchase a vinyl copy of the record DIRECT FROM KENDRA for $25 plus shipping at

If you are considering purchasing the record (and I really hope you do), please note that Kendra Morris sells copies of this album and her other music/merch directly through her website. She will be mailing out the records herself. As she is in New York City, which as most everyone knows is currently one of the biggest hotbeds of covid and is in lockdown, she may not be able to ship orders as quickly as she would like.

To that end, she is offering to provide a free digital copy (320kbps mp3) of the album via a download link to you. In order to receive the download, pleasy copy your basic order information (like order # and time/date via email text/screenshot) and your email address and send to my PM inbox and I will share the link with you in a reply. This method will be quicker in getting the actual music to you than Kendra having to make time in her schedule to respond to everyone who orders.

Of course, you are free to purchase wherever you would like. It seems this album can be had at most of the usual online shops for roughly similar prices. But I sure would love it if you purchased it from Kendra herself. She'll even sign the record if you'd like.

WHY I PICKED THIS RECORD

Kendra Morris' music blends genres - soul, rock, psychedelic, funk, and more - with a sound that is both retro and modern. My main goal here is to simply introduce her music to our community, one that I know would appreciate this type of sound, and then let you explore her catalog if you liked what you heard. I felt that by choosing 'Mockingbird', a full-on covers album, I'd give Needles & Grooves members a relatively accessible entry point into her overall sound and vocal talents as she interprets songs we all know and love. On top of that, I feel Kendra Morris is low-key one of the most hard working artists I follow, with her creative endeavors extending beyond just the music she produces.

When you listen to 'Mockingbird', I'd encourage you to do so on good headphones so you can hear her many vocal harmonies that aren't necessarily evident on computer speakers through Spotify/YouTube/etc. Afterward, explore her other music, from her debut 'Banshee', also on Wax Poetics, to her self-released Babble. She has numerous singles on Bandcamp and Soundcloud. There is a lot of Kendra Morris music out there, and hopefully your journey in discovering it all starts right now.

KENDRA MORRIS INFORMATION

Insta: KENDRA MORRIS (@kendramorris) • Instagram photos and videos
Twitter: KendraMorris (@KendraMorris) | Twitter
YouTube: Kendra Morris
Bandcamp: Ride On, by Kendra Morris
Soundcloud:
Facebook: Kendra Morris

TONIGHT (4/24/20) ONLY

Kendra is doing two livestream type events tonight.

One is a 20-minute live performance for an Alice Magazine Virtual Happy Hour event via Zoom Meetings. Kendra is scheduled to be on from 6:25-6:45 EDT. A L I CE M A G A Z I NE (@alice_magazine) • Instagram photos and videos

The other is one of Kendra's frequent late night Karoake Happy Hours she hosts on her Instagram page. During this time of social distancing and being in lockdown, Kendra has been having fun performing karoake for her followers to help find fun diversions from current daily life. Karaoke Happy Hour is scheduled at 10p EDT and has a theme of 'TV Movie Night'.

Track 5 is a stand out

Back