Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 1 - July 2019 Lou Reed - The Blue Mask

Ok, here’s a clue, because i’m nice. David Fricke’s 100 Greatest Guitarists list for Rolling Stones has a couple of brilliant guitarists on it which would make any album a real good one. If no greater a source than Rolling Stone magazine agrees with me we’re on to a winner

http://itemequalstotem.blogspot.com/2011/11/rolling-stone-100-greatst-guitarists.html?m=1

From a cursory glance I’d be shortening the odds on any Sonic Youth guesses considerably...

If I understood this clue correctly, we can rule out Metallica and AC/DC as both bands have only one guitarist on the Rolling Stone list.

Sonic Youth has a couple of guitarists on it, but how are they related to Jethro Tull?
If we're right about the clue that it has no other instrumentation besides 2 guitars, bass, and drums I think it would have to be Bad Moon Rising if it was Sonic Youth. Confusion is sex has zither, EVOL and Sister have synth, Daydream Nation has piano and is also in those guys' collections. No idea how it connects to the Tull video though.

the real thing we need to know if its the more progressive ...and justice for all, the cultural magnum opus master of puppets, or the cult classic ride the lightning

I love how you are helping me to run this thread. And I love to see that these hints are pointing to music I normally don't give attention to. Thanks (y)

the real thing we need to know if its the more progressive ...and justice for all, the cultural magnum opus master of puppets, or the cult classic ride the lightning

Nice summary of these three. All of them are great albums. Fans of melodic or progressive rock that haven’t delved into Metallica have much to discover.

I love how you are helping me to run this thread. And I love to see that these hints are pointing to music I normally don't give attention to. Thanks (y)

The guessing is better than the revealing. You are both doing a great job.

Having a hard time pairing any other two guitarists for 80s albums. Maybe that isn't what the clue meant. Can we say Iron Maiden is out at least?

If the least I can do is say Maiden is out then I will say that. But no more clues for you naughty members until Wednesday.

Unless you play nice. Then I might give another.

The list is weird AF. Mostly the ordering but also some of the mentions and the unmentioned. Peter Green but not Buckingham for example.

You speak wisely oh wise one. I’ve always rated Buckingham above Green. No disrespect to Green at all who was a phenomenal songwriter/guitarist/singer who broke boundaries. But that little fluttery solo on Gypsy or the new wave funky thump on Not That Funny or the acoustic Big Love puts LB high on my guitarist list.

Back