Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 1 - July 2019 Lou Reed - The Blue Mask

£24.99 does seem artificially high but then £9.99 is a bargain too 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hotter Than July is a great album which gets frequent spins in my house. I think it can usually be found around £12.99, £9.99 is the best price so far. I’ve found Stevie’s albums easy to find second hand. I picked up a bundle with everything from Where I’m Coming From to Hotter Than July for under £25. All that stuff is classic. The least celebrated, Secret Life Of Plants, is a beautiful album that if it wasn’t surrounded by such utter amazement would be held up as the top work of an auteur who knew no boundaries.

Hotter Than July is a great album which gets frequent spins in my house. I think it can usually be found around £12.99, £9.99 is the best price so far. I’ve found Stevie’s albums easy to find second hand. I picked up a bundle with everything from Where I’m Coming From to Hotter Than July for under £25. All that stuff is classic. The least celebrated, Secret Life Of Plants, is a beautiful album that if it wasn’t surrounded by such utter amazement would be held up as the top work of an auteur who knew no boundaries.

Yeah given the crazy expensive city I live in I just think of anything below €20 for a record to be cheap haha!

Yep I’ve picked up most of Steve’s stuff cheap second hand , except for the secret life of plants , is it worth checking out ? I got hotter than july for £2

Secret Life is an absolute beauty. It confused people at the time by being almost prog sounding in parts. Really beautiful melodicism throughout it. It has a few standard ‘songs’ like Black Orchid, which are lovely, but it’s mostly instrumental. With Stevie though I could listen to his harmonica piano or synth playing all day.

The one I play most by him is Fulfillingness’ First Finale which is superb, a little darker/more moody than its predecessors, tighter than Songs In The Key Of Life. Songs like Creepin’, Too Shy To Say and It Ain’t No Use are among his finest. They Won’t Go When I Go is his finest. Such a deeply emotional track, it touches near Chopin levels of sophistication and his vocals are spine tingling.

Secret Life is an absolute beauty. It confused people at the time by being almost prog sounding in parts. Really beautiful melodicism throughout it. It has a few standard ‘songs’ like Black Orchid, which are lovely, but it’s mostly instrumental. With Stevie though I could listen to his harmonica piano or synth playing all day.

The one I play most by him is Fulfillingness’ First Finale which is superb, a little darker/more moody than its predecessors, tighter than Songs In The Key Of Life. Songs like Creepin’, Too Shy To Say and It Ain’t No Use are among his finest. They Won’t Go When I Go is his finest. Such a deeply emotional track, it touches near Chopin levels of sophistication and his vocals are spine tingling.

Music Of My Mind is the other one for me. So ahead of its time. His rawest and funkiest album. We are lucky to still have him on our planet, Music was just flowing out of him in the 70s though. Apparently he has asked that all his unreleased work and sessions be destroyed after he dies so we probably won’t get a vault style release like Prince’s estate will do from now until the end of time.

Love Mr Wonder , gotta them all on vinyl in between Music of my mind to Hotter Than July except Plants , so the two you’ve mentioned I shall be on a mission to track down

Fulfilliness’ First Finale comes between Innervisions and Songs In The Key Of Life and is often passed over as it isn’t the same type of a socio/political statement. It’s simply ten brilliant songs, sung brilliantly, produced brilliantly and performed brilliantly.

Ok, here’s a clue, because i’m nice. David Fricke’s 100 Greatest Guitarists list for Rolling Stones has a couple of brilliant guitarists on it which would make any album a real good one. If no greater a source than Rolling Stone magazine agrees with me we’re on to a winner

http://itemequalstotem.blogspot.com/2011/11/rolling-stone-100-greatst-guitarists.html?m=1

If I understood this clue correctly, we can rule out Metallica and AC/DC as both bands have only one guitarist on the Rolling Stone list.

Sonic Youth has a couple of guitarists on it, but how are they related to Jethro Tull?

Back