Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 0 - June 2019 /// MARK DE CLIVE-LOWE - Heritage Vol.1

e
This is tremendous, a hearty thanks to @Skalap for such an inspired first pick, and for launching this new initiative. I am going in mostly blind on this one, currently listening to the first track on bandcamp and the red vinyl has been ordered.

My only regret? That all of this didn't happen sooner...I just checked, and it looks as though Mark played my favorite jazz club here in Portland just six weeks ago. Oh well, here's hoping he will roll back through town again.

On that note, a heads up to our friends in California...he is playing at LACMA in L.A. tonight, and will be playing the San Francisco Jazz Festival in a couple of weeks. He will also be playing in Chicago late August.

Going to the show at LACMA later today!

Excellent choice @Skalap as the others have said. I picked this (and vol 2) up back when you recommend it to me on the old forum after I was praising Ronin Arkestra.

Also thanks for running a fun guess thread. You've definitely set the bar high!

Who's up for June?
already up

Spinning my copy today so thought I would share my views on it.

Firstly, fantastic pic @Skalap. It's a great record to show off the current jazz scene and I actually think it's pretty diverse in what it offers, with the mellow 'calmer' parts breaking out into the much heavier rhythms (with Brandon Combs doing a fantastic job on the drums). I was surprised to read that it was a live session performed at Marks home, the whole session is super slick and the musicians play off one another really well. I love the Japanese influences on the album as well, its subtle enough to merge well with the more contemporary electronic additions.

On a side note, I thoroughly recommend checking out Teodross Avery's (who plays Tenor Sax on Heritage) latest release 'After the Rain: A Night for Coltrane'. I posted about it a while back on the Jazz thread and I'm currently waiting for my copy to arrive. It's a fantastic album which is limited to 500 copies (so grab it quick!).

Looking forward to the next pick!

For my UK/Europe team, theres a number of sealed copies of the red 'Heritage i' on discogs for £10 (plus £3 postage). I put an order in yesterday so can update once I receive it.

Here's the link for those that want a great deal!

Edit: There's also the Heritage ii on eBay at £14 inc postage. Only caveat is that its from the states so the estimated delivery is between 10th-28th June. I put an order in for that as well, I think it was one of those listings that has several copies available
One of those rushed occasions when a drunk holiday purchase that went wrong actually works out for the best. Arrived home today realising id ordered Heritage II - So could now take advantage of the red version of Number 1 on Discogs. Thanks @Selaws !

Back