N&G Secret Santa - 2020

YESSSS!! They got there! Merry Christmas! 🎅

I was very surprised that you didn't have Carrie & Lowell which was a glaring hole in your collection. You have A LOT in your collection so I felt like I had a lot of options on what to get you. Stars of the Lid are, based on your musical listening, very different. Go in with an open mind and patience.

Ballasted Orchestra is the most similar but I wouldn't listen to that one next. I'm still not a huge fan of that one, personally, outside of the last 3 tracks. I was going to gift "and their Refinement of the Decline" but my local had it for $40 and I didn't really want to give only one album (well technically 3LPs) with that price point. I'd recommend that one next because it's the most accessible sounding. Much more prominent melodies and keeps moving throughout fairly well for being 2 hours~ long.
Thank you again!

Got home from Christmas with the in-laws and dashed to the supermarket to get a parcel from my local. Looks swanky...

20201230_171343.jpg

And contains pure 🔥! Thanks 🎅 - this is a fabulous gift. Bit embarrassed I didn't already have it, but happy to correct that now. Hope you had a great Christmas yourself. Looking forward to spinning this tonight.

20201230_171428.jpg

Finally settled back from the Christmas holiday rush! I was so happy to find my Secret Santa. Thank you @foks for the great gift! I've always greatly enjoyed this album and have kept putting off purchasing it.

Looking forward to taking it for the first spin tomorrow! So happy to have had the chance to participate this year.

Attachments

• 20201225_185153.jpg
    20201225_185153.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 9
Finally settled back from the Christmas holiday rush! I was so happy to find my Secret Santa. Thank you @foks for the great gift! I've always greatly enjoyed this album and have kept putting off purchasing it.

Looking forward to taking it for the first spin tomorrow! So happy to have had the chance to participate this year.
Hell yeah! Glad it got there okay - enjoy and happy new year :D

Santa came today! And oh boy, they nailed it! What a surprise of a Sunday delivery when I was just out the door. I'll be back in a few hours to show off the goods as I just gave a quick peek, grabbed a box of toffee (!) from it, and had to take off. Don't oust yourself yet santa, I need to read your note and see if I can figure it out myself later!

Here's what I scored from Santa @RoxCity !20210103_210747.jpg

The top 2 are North Carolina themed, and personal picks from Santa. I can't wait to play these, and is exactly what I wanted out of my Santa. Seeing the big cardinal on the cover when I opened the box was amazing as seeing a cardinal is a sign of our lost love ones coming to visit in our family.

Then 2 classic jazz records. 'Go' is one I've been meaning to get. I actually do have a copy of Getz/Gilberto, but it is an old beat up copy that could definitely use replacing. Such a fantastic album. And toffee from NC! There was one more box, but I ate it already.

The note was wonderful. Especially for a good incite into Elizabeth Cotton. I enjoyed reading it!

Thanks again, @RoxCity . This is amazing. Happy new year!

Here's what I scored from Santa @RoxCity !View attachment 82413

The top 2 are North Carolina themed, and personal picks from Santa. I can't wait to play these, and is exactly what I wanted out of my Santa. Seeing the big cardinal on the cover when I opened the box was amazing as seeing a cardinal is a sign of our lost love ones coming to visit in our family.

Then 2 classic jazz records. 'Go' is one I've been meaning to get. I actually do have a copy of Getz/Gilberto, but it is an old beat up copy that could definitely use replacing. Such a fantastic album. And toffee from NC! There was one more box, but I ate it already.

The note was wonderful. Especially for a good incite into Elizabeth Cotton. I enjoyed reading it!

Thanks again, @RoxCity . This is amazing. Happy new year!

So happy that the package arrived safely! Hate that it took until the New Year for me to get all the pieces assembled!

Glad you liked the picks and the toffee is definitely phenomenal. These are albums that I love. If you ever find yourself looking for more NC centric recommendations, just let me know!

Happy listening and Happy New Year!

A8FC3A9C-E0CC-4EB0-B847-46E07795F1F1.jpeg
I think Santa arrived? I for sure didn’t order these. Great picks by my mystery Santa who I can only assume is maybe @gaporter based on sender location, but otherwise have no clue.

The Haul:
1) my 2nd Christmas album and first pre-89 rap, Christmas Rappin by Kurtis Blow.
2) the first Action Bronson album in my collection, his latest release Only For Dolphins
3) a scented hanger for my car (which desperately needs it)
4) a few stickers that have already been applied to my music shelf
5) a fake $8 bill with McCain’s face on it that honestly makes me uncomfortable with how intrigued I am by it.

Thanks Santa! You killed it!

Edit: if this is someone else, I direct this entire post at you, mystery Santa.

Last edited:
View attachment 82482
I think Santa arrived? I for sure didn’t order these. Great picks by my mystery Santa who I can only assume is maybe @gaporter based on sender location, but otherwise have no clue.

The Haul:
1) my 2nd Christmas album and first pre-89 rap, Christmas Rappin by Kurtis Blow.
2) the first Action Bronson album in my collection, his latest release Only For Dolphins
3) a scented hanger for my car (which desperately needs it)
4) a few stickers that have already been applied to my music shelf
5) a fake $8 bill with McCain’s face on it that honestly makes me uncomfortable with how intrigued I am by it.

Thanks Santa! You killed it!

Edit: if this is someone else, I direct this entire post at you, mystery Santa.
As much as I would like to take credit...

Back