N&G Favourite DRUMMER of All Time

This was fun, and I’m sure I am leaving off a ton of great musicians!

Tony Williams: 12
Elvin Jones: 12
Jack Dejohnette: 7
John Bonham: 7
Stephen Perkins: 4
Chris Bear: 4
Jojo Mayer: 4
Mark Guiliana: 7
Pete La Roca: 7
Mitch Mitchell: 10
Ringo: 4
Billy Martin: 4
Tony Allen: 4
Carlton Barrett: 10
Marcus Gilmore: 4
Shit I completely forgot about Joe Chambers. I’m swapping Joe in for Pete La Roca.
@avecigrec

Sorry, it's probably me. Of all of the thousands and thousands of records he has played on, I thought it was funny that you put 801 as the band he is associated with. My favorite work is probably with his own bands, of course, as Protocol in all of its incarnations is killer.

I know he played with a lot of bands, but since he was never the first drummer of the band, he's rarely associated with any of them. Plus 801 Live is my favorite album, so that's what I associate with him.

Most people never think.. "Oh Simon Phillips - he was the drummer for The Who"

10- Keith Moon
10- Pete Thomas
10- Art Blakey
10- Ringo Starr
10- Janet Weiss
5- Benny Benjamin
5- Uriel Jones
5- "Pistol" Allen
5- Levon Helm
5- John Bonham
5- Philly Joe Jones
5- Stevie Wonder
5- George Hurley
5-Jaki Liebezeit
5- Charlie Watts

I somehow left Levon Helm off my list initially, so rectified. Thanks to @BjorgenFjorgen 's list, I realized my wicked oversight.

@avecigrec

Last edited:
Sorry, it's probably me. Of all of the thousands and thousands of records he has played on, I thought it was funny that you put 801 as the band he is associated with. My favorite work is probably with his own bands, of course, as Protocol in all of its incarnations is killer.
If anything, I'm glad @LeeVing put me on to 811. I quite like this album (the only they put out I believe). On Spotify it seems it's under Phil Manzanera.

I know he played with a lot of bands, but since he was never the first drummer of the band, he's rarely associated with any of them. Plus 801 Live is my favorite album, so that's what I associate with him.

Most people never think.. "Oh Simon Phillips - he was the drummer for The Who"
Thanks for sharing this perspective. I've long loved this obscure record and Simon's work since I first heard him play with Jeff Beck (which blew my mind with his Cobham hybrid thing) and Gary Boyle's The Dancer. So many, many great sessions but again, his own work is phenomenal. He even has one live gig on LP for the vinyl fetishists among us.

Sorry @avecigrec - I've been losing sleep over this heinous omission so I gotta clear my conscious and come back in and add Jim Fox to my list. That will adjust my points from the devil's number to 6.25 each.

Link is disabled from sharing but watch this thing on YouTube. Jimmy is nuts and so much fun. Finesse and brute force...

Last edited:
Sorry @avecigrec - I've been losing sleep over this heinous omission so I gotta clear my conscious and come back in and add Jim Fox to my list. That will adjust my points from the devil's number to 6.25 each.

Link is disabled from sharing but watch this thing on YouTube. Jimmy is nuts and so much fun. Finesse and brute force...

Good thing I shit the bed on tallying this in time! ;)

Life and family have kicked my ass a bit. Will get this sorted and my own list up over the next couple days...

Well if it's not too late...

15 – Brann Dailor (Mastodon)
15 – Glenn Kotche (Wilco, Loose Fur)
10 – Levon Helm (The Band)
10 – Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)
10 – Patrick Hallahan (My Morning Jacket)
10 – Butch Trucks (The Allman Brothers Band)
10 – Rickie Mazzotta (mewithoutYou)
10 – Bill Kreutzmann (Grateful Dead)
5 – Mickey Hart (Grateful Dead)
5 – Georgia Hubley (Yo La Tengo)

Back