N&G AOTM Year 5: General Thread & Archive

28 names on the wheel; spinning on day 29...

View attachment 196575View attachment 196576

...and @gaporter takes it by a millimeter!
If you're still up for it, you'll be running the April guess thread for our May AotM!
I have to be honest, I feel somewhat conflicted because I haven't been active at all in the AOTM threads (or much of the forum as a whole) in quite some time. Life has been doing a number on me recently and my interaction with this wonderful corner of the internet has been far more sparse than I would like. Thankfully, though, I'm about to go on break from work and school for the next two weeks (thank god), which should hopefully give me some time to not only plan for my thread, but try to catch up on the other Year 5 picks so far (to see what I'm up against 😉). I've really wanted to be more active on here again lately, so maybe this will help with that!

I have to be honest, I feel somewhat conflicted because I haven't been active at all in the AOTM threads (or much of the forum as a whole) in quite some time. Life has been doing a number on me recently and my interaction with this wonderful corner of the internet has been far more sparse than I would like. Thankfully, though, I'm about to go on break from work and school for the next two weeks (thank god), which should hopefully give me some time to not only plan for my thread, but try to catch up on the other Year 5 picks so far (to see what I'm up against 😉). I've really wanted to be more active on here again lately, so maybe this will help with that!
Fortunately, you got a month to prep, or procrastinate like I did :cool: for this month's guess thread!

Fortunately, you got a month to prep, or procrastinate like I did :cool: for this month's guess thread!
The most difficult thing right now is trying to decide what to pick... I've had one album in mind for a while that I told myself I'd pick if I was ever up for this again, but of course now that it's actually happening I'm having second thoughts!

VOL. 54
DECEMBER 2023
Scharpling & Wurster – Rock, Rot & Rule
Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings – It's A Holiday Soul Party
Special Interest – Endure
Yoko Ono – Fly
The Replacements – Tim
Chosen by @Mrs. Frank McGuirk

VOL. 55
JANUARY 2024
Little Wings - Wonderue
Chosen by @TenderLovingKiller®

VOL. 56
FEBRUARY 2024
Lisa O’Neill - All Of This Is Chance
Idlewild - The Remote Part
Chosen by @Joe Mac

VOL. 57
MARCH 2024
Steely Dan - Can’t Buy A Thrill
Chosen by @Lee Newman

VOL. 58
APRIL 2024
Angelo Badalamenti - The Music of Twin Peaks
Chosen by @Fillip J Phry

VOL. 59
MAY 2024
TBA
Chosen by @gaporter

I got a $200 rebate for my contacts so I can see. So naturally, I need to treat my ears. To get caught up on the N&G AotM I just ordered:

@Dirtbag Auntie ... keep changing your name! lololo...
Yoko Ono - Fly ... I've always wanted a Yoko record, but never had the guts to pull the trigger.
Scharpling & Wurster - Rock, Rot & Rule ... this one was the most intriguing to me. The others will have to wait... hahaha

@TenderLovingKiller®
Little Wings .... I have to admit the first few times I tried to listen, it just didn't click. Hopefully I'll be in the right state of mind when it arrives!

@Joe Mac
Lisa O'Neill - All Of This Is Chance ... this one was the most intriguing. The other one will have to wait :p

@Lee Newman
Already got yours a while ago! It's great to have a clean copy!

@Fillip J Phry
Angelo Badalamenti - The Music of Twin Peaks ... I never got into the show, looking forward to the music!

@gaporter
Laura Stevenson - Cocksure ... looking forward to it!

For those that chose multiple albums, uh ... politely I am not going to get all of them (impolitely :mad:) hahaha. But, I should be caught up on having at least one album for all the AotMs! I know, it doesn't mean anything. I just enjoy finding new music and thank you all for finding it for me! 🍻

EDIT: I ordered these all at the same time, so we'll see which arrives first!

Oh shit! Newman changed his name too! @TrainFan73

TrainFan73

I got a $200 rebate for my contacts so I can see. So naturally, I need to treat my ears. To get caught up on the N&G AotM I just ordered:

@Dirtbag Auntie ... keep changing your name! lololo...
Yoko Ono - Fly ... I've always wanted a Yoko record, but never had the guts to pull the trigger.
Scharpling & Wurster - Rock, Rot & Rule ... this one was the most intriguing to me. The others will have to wait... hahaha

@TenderLovingKiller®
Little Wings .... I have to admit the first few times I tried to listen, it just didn't click. Hopefully I'll be in the right state of mind when it arrives!

@Joe Mac
Lisa O'Neill - All Of This Is Chance ... this one was the most intriguing. The other one will have to wait :p

@Lee Newman
Already got yours a while ago! It's great to have a clean copy!

@Fillip J Phry
Angelo Badalamenti - The Music of Twin Peaks ... I never got into the show, looking forward to the music!

@gaporter
Laura Stevenson - Cocksure ... looking forward to it!

For those that chose multiple albums, uh ... politely I am not going to get all of them (impolitely :mad:) hahaha. But, I should be caught up on having at least one album for all the AotMs! I know, it doesn't mean anything. I just enjoy finding new music and thank you all for finding it for me! 🍻

EDIT: I ordered these all at the same time, so we'll see which arrives first!

I’m really interested hear what you make of the Lisa O’Neill album, it has a real timeless quality and it was definitely right up there in my favourites of last year.

Not to be a narc but shouldn’t Kris be taken off the list since they did a month less than a year ago? Or at least set aside for the next round so us last stragglers get a go first.

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

View attachment 201618

Looks like @WhiteDahlias will be leading the June guess thread for our July AotM. Looking forward to seeing what we get!
oh wow that was quick, haha.

I have a few in mind that I could pick, I just need to make sure any of them are widely available. I'm away for a bit at the end of this month so I will have to get to planning.

Not to be a narc but shouldn’t Kris be taken off the list since they did a month less than a year ago? Or at least set aside for the next round so us last stragglers get a go first.

That was Kris's first go at the AotM though, and the current list is all second-timers, with the exception of WhiteDahlias, who was just drawn, rendering that point moot.

Were there more interest in the AOTM threads, and more people signed up it wouldn't run the risk of Kris getting a second pick so soon after the first, but as it stands we don't currently have enough people signed up to even see us through to the end of this calendar year - so I don't see it as being much of an issue. But I can also ensure you go before Kris if you'd like, and nobody else objects. That's easy enough to do too.

Back