N&G AOTM Year 5: General Thread & Archive

for a second there i thought we were saying we would cap off AOTMs (no, its fun to have) but I am fine with it being limited to just one album

Unless we can convince some new pickers to join I think we are edging closer to that. It doesn’t work if it ends up being the same 10-15 people constantly rotating, it’ll go stale.

Unless we can convince some new pickers to join I think we are edging closer to that. It doesn’t work if it ends up being the same 10-15 people constantly rotating, it’ll go stale.
I think there's enough diversity in music taste between those for it not to go stale, but there still are more than that any way. The problem is that a lot of people don't participate in the guess threads even when there are new pickers. And they don't discuss anything about it either. So while it certainly could be better, I don't think it makes sense to kill what it is either for those who do enjoy it while still trying to get more to join in. I think @avecigrec did a good job recruiting more folks to pick. But the bigger issue is getting more to participate in the other parts of it.

Limiting to one album does at least make sense though since most of us aren't going to buy more than one random album a month that we're not familiar with. Even that is tough for a lot of folks with current prices. Why buy something to explore if you can only afford a couple a month, and if there is no QC or bonus stuff to make it actually worth the risk? It's only good for exploration of new music. Stuff that's too familiar or popular doesn't really work because of this either. But I do think that there is a lot of musical knowledge and diversity even if it was only 15 rotating pickers.

I think there's enough diversity in music taste between those for it not to go stale, but there still are more than that any way. The problem is that a lot of people don't participate in the guess threads even when there are new pickers. And they don't discuss anything about it either. So while it certainly could be better, I don't think it makes sense to kill what it is either for those who do enjoy it while still trying to get more to join in. I think @avecigrec did a good job recruiting more folks to pick. But the bigger issue is getting more to participate in the other parts of it.

Limiting to one album does at least make sense though since most of us aren't going to buy more than one random album a month that we're not familiar with. Even that is tough for a lot of folks with current prices. Why buy something to explore if you can only afford a couple a month, and if there is no QC or bonus stuff to make it actually worth the risk? It's only good for exploration of new music. Stuff that's too familiar or popular doesn't really work because of this either. But I do think that there is a lot of musical knowledge and diversity even if it was only 15 rotating pickers.

Oh yeah I’m not throwing shade. I ran it for a year myself and it wasn’t easy to get people involved after the initial burst of interest when the site was new. I suppose I just remember it being thousands of posts every month on threads and a list of 40 odd pickers and it’s died back a little now. Nothing to do with anyone running it or picking it but I think the more pickers involved and the less repetition of them the more lively it feels.

Oh yeah I’m not throwing shade. I ran it for a year myself and it wasn’t easy to get people involved after the initial burst of interest when the site was new. I suppose I just remember it being thousands of posts every month on threads and a list of 40 odd pickers and it’s died back a little now. Nothing to do with anyone running it or picking it but I think the more pickers involved and the less repetition of them the more lively it feels.
Oh I know, didn't mean to have a tone that sounded that way. Just trying to add some thoughts to it. Sorry if I sounded like a dick.

Oh I know, didn't mean to have a tone that sounded that way. Just trying to add some thoughts to it. Sorry if I sounded like a dick.

Oh no you didn’t at all. All perspectives are welcome, debate and other ideas are always healthy!

Also I’ve definitely been guilty of not being involved in the guess threads as much myself so I’m definitely being a little hypocritical. A mixture of running the thread and covid burned me out on them, even though I did try to keep abreast of the records, and I’ve been meaning to try and get more involved again.

Trick or treat...

View attachment 186089View attachment 186090

Looks like @TenderLovingKiller® will be leading our guess thread through the darkest month while we determine what he's chosen to be the first AotM for 2024.

@Mrs. Frank McGuirk will be opening the guess thread for the December AotMs tomorrow and I, for one, am excited to start guessing!
I knew this was coming up but I don’t think I put together that the January guess thread needed to be up going in December until a couple minutes ago.

Anyways, here’s the thread…
Needles and Grooves AotM///Vol 56-January 2024///Rad!

Back