N&G AOTM Year 3: General Thread & Archive

kR0RWYz.gif

Before I dive too deep into finalizing my pick, what do non-US N&Gers consider to be reasonable/unreasonable as far as international shipping goes?
In most cases we have been able to get picks from a local store/online shop, so we've worked around it. If we can only get it from the artist I'm sure we would buy direct if we loved the album, or work with someone in the US to get it sent over.

Whew, this is hard. I'm not trying to do super obscure or anything but all my leading contenders are sold directly from the artist and according to a few quick google searches... nowhere else. There is one release that actually isn't in the U.S. and will be easy for N&Gers who live in [REDACTED] but other folks who live outside of [REDACTED] might be looking at paying around 40 bucks. I'm not trying to Vinyl Me, Please y'all with this...

Whew, this is hard. I'm not trying to do super obscure or anything but all my leading contenders are sold directly from the artist and according to a few quick google searches... nowhere else. There is one release that actually isn't in the U.S. and will be easy for N&Gers who live in [REDACTED] but other folks who live outside of [REDACTED] might be looking at paying around 40 bucks. I'm not trying to Vinyl Me, Please y'all with this...

I suppose the position would be we as a group would rather you didn’t pick something too hard get hold of or that is very geographically limited or that is too expensive BUT people have in the past. Those of us who have been heavily involved have ultimately organised it and set guidelines but we don’t have any kind of power over the AoTM pickers themselves and to be honest, speaking for myself, don’t want it either!

If it’s slightly more expensive to say either Americans or Europeans but still reasonably close to the limit and the label is able to supply I say go for it. If it’s going to be fine for one set but extortionate for the other then you’ve gotta understand that a bunch of people won’t be able to support the artist and may limit their interaction to streaming or even skip the month entirely.

So I suppose it really is your call but a lot of the success of the pick can be determined by how easily we can actually get the record.

Fear not, I've now come up with a Plan A that should be fairly accessible as well as a Plan B that is also quite accessible! I have a Plan C that might not be quite as accessible but maybe after my big reveal I'll just throw that one out there as a "check this out too if you're not feeling my pick but still want to drop some cash."

Maybe try sending an email to the artist asking if he/she/they would like to make a special shipping rate for those of us out of the US? IIRC Nicole Atkins and Calliope Musicals did this so maybe...

Maybe try sending an email to the artist asking if he/she/they would like to make a special shipping rate for those of us out of the US? IIRC Nicole Atkins and Calliope Musicals did this so maybe...

I considered this and even had an email fully drafted and was about to hit send… but then I worried “What if they say no” and decided I could find something else I enjoy just as much that I already know is affordable on both sides of the pond.

Edit: it's also a limited pressing and I fretted that they might run out of copies by August/September... I might still reveal it at some point as a "swap" option or just have it out there so if anyone is interested in it. But yeah, it's not gonna be our feature presentation.

Last edited:
Fear not, I've now come up with a Plan A that should be fairly accessible as well as a Plan B that is also quite accessible! I have a Plan C that might not be quite as accessible but maybe after my big reveal I'll just throw that one out there as a "check this out too if you're not feeling my pick but still want to drop some cash."
Over the last 48 hours both Plan A and Plan B have gone from "widely available on multiple sites across multiple continents" to "sold out next restock maybe never????" shit shit shit shit

Will you tell us what they were once whatever replaces them is revealed?
Yes. By this time next month you still might find copies here and there at reasonable prices but it's looking extremely unlikely I can drop an Amazon/Bandcamp/Record Label's site/whatever link and have there be enough copies available for everyone.

Edit: I'm waiting to hear back from one of the labels to find out if a restock is planned, so fingers crossed. Otherwise... maybe I will reach out to the Plan C artist and see how much they still have in stock/international shipping prices.

I guess it's better that this happened a week before my thread began as opposed to the week after... otherwise I'd have to just throw up my hands and go "Everybody go buy Abbey Road."

Last edited:
Yes. By this time next month you still might find copies here and there at reasonable prices but it's looking extremely unlikely I can drop an Amazon/Bandcamp/Record Label's site/whatever link and have there be enough copies available for everyone.

Edit: I'm waiting to hear back from one of the labels to find out if a restock is planned, so fingers crossed. Otherwise... maybe I will reach out to the Plan C artist and see how much they still have in stock/international shipping prices.

I guess it's better that this happened a week before my thread began as opposed to the week after... otherwise I'd have to just throw up my hands and go "Everybody go buy Abbey Road."

It happened before with Volume 4. There was plenty of stock but it turned out it was a Spanish RSD and it evaporated a week or so in to the guess thread. It did eventually come back in 2 or 3 months later with a second RSD BF pressing in November and is also one of the most loved AoTMs so take form that what you will 😂

Back