N&G AOTM Year 3: General Thread & Archive

gaporter

Greetings all! I have been passed the torch by the great and wonderful @Joe Mac to carry on the duty of thread runner for Year 3 of the Needles & Grooves AOTMs. Hence - this thread!

You all probably know the drill by now, but just in case any newcomers are interested, here's the rundown:
  • Each month, someone from the forum chooses a record for the rest of the forum to go out and purchase.
  • The thread dedicated to their AOTM is typically started the month before whatever month they are picked for (for example, if you are picking the record for August, your thread will be started in July, and so on).
  • The choice of record is almost entirely dependent on the person choosing, though there are some stipulations put in place to try to keep things balance for everyone. The most important thing to make sure of is that anyone can secure a copy of your AOTM (preferably for under $30), regardless of what country they are in. Keep in mind that multiple people from different countries participate in these threads. As long as you can be reasonably sure everyone will be able to get a copy of the album you choose without issue, the sky's the limit!
  • For each thread, the person responsible for picking the AOTM is also responsible for coming up with hints for the rest of the forum to use to guess the record they have chosen. This is the main component of the individual AOTM threads; trying to keep the rest of the forum guessing while still providing enough info for it to be solved! Or, if the forum fails to solve the album, it is revealed via an announcement for the person who picked it.
  • The announcement date for the record is largely up to person picking; typically in the past, the chooser has composed a write-up to go more into detail for why they picked the record, what they like about it or other assorted info about the record- though one shouldn't feel obligated to do a massive write-up for the record they chose if they're not comfortable doing so!
  • After the current month's thread has been wrapped up, whoever has previously been drawn for the following month will then start their thread. Though just because an AOTM's month has ended doesn't mean that discussion of that record should cease - feel free to use it to provide further updates about developments with the record or what the artist is currently up to!
  • It has become customary that the person choosing the record runs their own thread, but for the following year while I am in charge of running the general thread, I'm offering to those who wish to pick an AOTM, but perhaps don't feel up to running the entire thread, a helping hand. If you want me to run your thread for you, I will be happy to do so and hopefully make the task of coming up with hints and whatnot easier and less stressful. But, if you want full control over your thread, then that is also welcome!
  • And of course, the final rule: be nice. :)
And with that, I think all the bases are covered in terms of explaining the AOTMs. I realize much of that is redundant for those who have been in the game since June 2019, but even if only one new person hops aboard this year, I'll want them to be able to know what's going on with the AOTMs, so hopefully I've explained it thoroughly enough for anyone unfamiliar. 😊

One last note for this introductory post is a point I wish to stress: we are, for the most part, a very open minded community when it comes to music on N&G. In just the first two years of doing AOTMs, we have had jazz, metal, singer-songwriter, flamenco, Irish music, glitch pop, punk rock, blues, a covers album, classical, a live album, French post-rock, ambient and much, much more. As you can tell just from that sampling, these AOTMs aren't pinned down by a specific genre or country of origin. I say this to alleviate fears some may have of their record not fitting a certain type of mold or not being accepted by the forum. If you love the album and want to pick it, then pick it!

And with that mouthful out of the way, let's get this show on the road for Year 3!

PREVIOUS YEARS
Year 1 General Thread & Archive
Year 2 General Thread & Archive

YEAR 3 AOTMS
VOL. 25

JULY 2021
Dota - Kaleko
chosen by @Jan

VOL. 26
AUGUST 2021
Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
chosen by @Gavaxeman

VOL. 27
SEPTEMBER 2021
Jneiro Jarel - After a Thousand Years
chosen by @NewsFedora

VOL. 28
OCTOBER 2021
Blonde Redhead - Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons
chosen by @MadLucas

VOL. 29
NOVEMBER 2021
GOAT - Requiem
chosen by @AC Slaughter

VOL. 30
DECEMBER 2021
The Bright Light Social Hour - Space is Still the Place
chosen by @Tj.

VOL. 31
JANUARY 2022
La Femme - Paradigmes
chosen by @sarcasticfairyprincess

VOL. 32
FEBRUARY 2022
The Faint - Wet From Birth
chosen by @scotthilk

VOL. 33
MARCH 2022
Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness
chosen by @ayayrawn

VOL. 34
APRIL 2022
Sandro Perri - Impossible Spaces
chosen by @BjorgenFjorgen

VOL. 35
MAY 2022
TBA
chosen by @Speedracer

VOL. 36
JUNE 2022
TBA
chosen by @debianlinux

FUTURE PICKERS
1. @Waitressboy
2. @A Lost Highway
3. @chrb98
4. @TenderLovingKiller®
5. @Mr Moore
6. @tonythegamer
7. @GelloJive
8. @wmeugene
9. @RowBearToe
10. @johnpisme
11. @hatfieldpdx
12. @Poly-Rythmo
13. @Fleetwood-Matt
14. @debar22
15. @Ericj32
16. @avecigrec
17. @Hemotep
18. @Tys1

Last edited:
PREVIOUS YEARS
Year 1 General Thread & Archive
Year 2 General Thread & Archive

YEAR 3 AOTMS (simplistic list for now until I can flesh it out a bit more)
  • VOL. 25 (JULY 2021) - TBA
  • VOL. 26 (AUGUST 2021) - TBA
  • VOL. 27 (SEPTEMBER 2021) - TBA
  • VOL. 28 (OCTOBER 2021) - TBA
  • VOL. 29 (NOVEMBER 2021) - TBA
  • VOL. 30 (DECEMBER 2021) - TBA
  • VOL. 31 (JANUARY 2022) - TBA
  • VOL. 32 (FEBRUARY 2022) - TBA
  • VOL. 33 (MARCH 2022) - TBA
  • VOL. 34 (APRIL 2022) - TBA
  • VOL. 35 (MAY 2022) - TBA
  • VOL. 36 (JUNE 2022) - TBA
FUTURE PICKERS
1. @Waitressboy
2. @A Lost Highway
3. @BjorgenFjorgen
4. @chrb98
5. @scotthilk
6. @TenderLovingKiller®
7. @MadLucas
8. @Mr Moore
9. @tonythegamer
10. @GelloJive
11. @wmeugene
12. @AC Slaughter
13. @RowBearToe
14. @Speedracer
15. @debianlinux
16. @johnpisme
17. @hatfieldpdx
18. @Gavaxeman
19, @Tj.
20. @NewsFedora
21. @Jan
22. @ayayrawn
23. @Poly-Rythmo
24. @Fleetwood-Matt
25. @debar22
My heart skipped a beat w this tag thinking I was picked!

And only a day away from next Thread ! Anticipating more head scratching and general bewilderment + feelings of self loathing due to my complete inability at Clue solving.

I read all the Sherlock Stories again last year (ignoring bloated novels). But inspiration was lacking.

And only a day away from next Thread ! Anticipating more head scratching and general bewilderment + feelings of self loathing due to my complete inability at Clue solving.

I read all the Sherlock Stories again last year (ignoring bloated novels). But inspiration was lacking.

It’s going to be a month of eeeeeeeemo! So borrow your missus’ eyeliner and get that angular fringe brushed over one eye!

hey there,

I'd like to see the N&G AoTM Year 2 review thread, for us to comment on the last 12 AoTM selected.
If you wish I can create the thread myself.

Hey @panino we haven’t had all 12 albums picked for year two yet. The may thread for the June album will be the last one. I had been planning on setting up a Year 2 review in mid June to give the last album a few weeks to settle in before people try to come to conclusions.

Back