Music News / Reviews

Stupid Justin Hawkins, opening up rabbit holes for me. He did a video on The Strokes - Last Night. In it he stated that the tune is based on the structure of American Girl by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. He kind of discounted the similarities after that. However, I've never really been interested in the Strokes. They were firmly in the it's fine camp for me. So on the way to work, I put on Tom's first album. I immediately noticed the whole sound of The Strokes. Now I'm listening to Is This It and now all I can hear is the similarities to Tom Petty and now I'm like FUCK YEAH! I don't need a rabbit hole Justin, you dick!

Stupid Justin Hawkins, opening up rabbit holes for me. He did a video on The Strokes - Last Night. In it he stated that the tune is based on the structure of American Girl by Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers. He kind of discounted the similarities after that. However, I've never really been interested in the Strokes. They were firmly in the it's fine camp for me. So on the way to work, I put on Tom's first album. I immediately noticed the whole sound of The Strokes. Now I'm listening to Is This It and now all I can hear is the similarities to Tom Petty and now I'm like FUCK YEAH! I don't need a rabbit hole Justin, you dick!

...and now I'm down the Justin Hawkins Rides Again rabbit hole. Dammit Justin.

I'm pretty sure I had listened to Freedom by Amen Dunes back in 2018 when it came out. (My last.fm confirms this). However, it didn't really strike a chord with me then. I'm guessing that my mom passing in February is informing my listen this evening, but it's getting me in the feels. I'm absolutely certain it would have spent about as much time as Brandi Carlile's In These Silent Days helping me work through it all. This all a long-winded way of thanking @Ghost for causing me to reexamine it. It's funny what time can do to music...

I have a musician friend who's suffered a serious health setback and wanted to give everyone who is so inclined the info they need to help.

Lee Bains of Lee Bains III & The Glory Fire had a significant injury that's forced him to cancel a planned tour with John Moreland and will keep him off the road for at least a few months. As most of you know, as the music business has evolved, no touring = no income as the majority these days comes from shows and merch. Couple that with the last few years of limited opportunities due to Covid and no healthcare system for working musicians and you've got a recipe for total disaster.

If you like Lee's music, if you'd like to get to know Lee's music, if you know someone who you'd like to gift some music to, or a shirt, or a tote bag, everything can be purchased direct from Lee via the link below.

Thanks for looking and send good vibes to Lee.

Last edited:
I have a musician friend who's suffered a serious health setback and wanted to give everyone who is so inclined the info they need to help.

Lee Bains of Lee Bains III & The Glory Fire had a significant injury that's forced him to cancel a planned tour with John Moreland and will keep him off the road for al least a few months. As most of you know, as the music business has evolved, no touring = no income as the majority these days comes from shows and merch. Couple that with the last few years of limited opportunities due to Covid and no healthcare system for working musicians and you've got a recipe for total disaster.

If you like Lee's music, if you'd like to get to know Lee's music, if you know someone who you'd like to gift some music to, or a shirt, or a tote bag, everything can be purchased direct from Lee via the link below.

Thanks for looking and send good vibes to lee.

I knew there was a reason I hadn't ordered the new album already. snagged that and a tee.

Hope he recovers quickly.

I'm pretty sure I had listened to Freedom by Amen Dunes back in 2018 when it came out. (My last.fm confirms this). However, it didn't really strike a chord with me then. I'm guessing that my mom passing in February is informing my listen this evening, but it's getting me in the feels. I'm absolutely certain it would have spent about as much time as Brandi Carlile's In These Silent Days helping me work through it all. This all a long-winded way of thanking @Ghost for causing me to reexamine it. It's funny what time can do to music...
Everything, particularly powerful music, finds you exactly when it needs to. So sorry for your loss buddy but happy you're finding a new friend in that album. Thanks for tagging me <3

Are they? All I see are articles on his arrest and then articles of the charges being dismissed.
Oh wow, totally misremembered the result in court, thanks for correcting me.

He also has a protective order against him from his ex-wife for stalking and harassing her, so he's still no saint, but I'm glad his kid wasn't a victim.

Oh wow, totally misremembered the result in court, thanks for correcting me.

He also has a protective order against him from his ex-wife for stalking and harassing her, so he's still no saint, but I'm glad his kid wasn't a victim.
Thanks, I really wasn't sure, that's why I asked. Not something I knew anything about, wanted to know. Still terrible then. You're probably right about the band not wanting to be involved again..

Not a fan of Migos but man this sucks...over a goddamn dice game.

EDIT: There's some pretty disturbing pics in the link so be warned. Also, there's some REALLY disturbing videos making their way around the internet this morning so FYI if you want to search for more info.

Last edited:
Back