Music News / Reviews

Not a fan of Migos but man this sucks...over a goddamn dice game.

EDIT: There's some pretty disturbing pics in the link so be warned. Also, there's some REALLY disturbing videos making their way around the internet this morning so FYI if you want to search for more info.

Damn.

Mimi Parker of Low has died.

I saw Low play a shitty and tiny coffeeshop/bar in West Palm Beach in 1999 on the Secret Name tour. I dragged my friend Robert with me -- he drove because I was working third shifts back then and I was so dead tired that driving was Not A Good Idea. I'd heard them because they'd toured with Godspeed and there was an mp3 making the rounds -- the internet really was smaller in those days, shut up -- of GYBE! doing a 30 minute version of "Do You Know How To Waltz?" with Low, and it was heart-wrenchingly beautiful but also tore your face off. I don't think Robert'd even heard them or heard of them, he just took me at my word that they were awesome (this also worked with Legendary Pink Dots. Cat Power lowered my cachet after she spent 15 minutes onstage in Little Havana asking the audience to help her tune). We got there and you had to walk through a narrow hallway into the larger room of the venue. When we walked in, on the sofa along the hallway were Alan, Mimi and Zak (the bassist at the time), sitting on the sofa, watching the audience filter in, laughing. All three of them were tall -- although of course you couldn't tell until they hit the stage and were standing -- Alan tallest, but Mimi was playing the drums standing up and in my memory just shy of his height. Mimi's vocals were just like the record -- strong and steady and without irony one could hear why they get called angelic. She was achingly pretty and kind of aloof and it was clear then and in any video where you see them interacting that Alan was just absolutely smitten with her. This is hitting me a lot harder than I thought it would.

Last edited:

Back