Music News / Reviews

Sadly, Kikagaku Moyo is calling it quits, but they're doing a final tour

Walter Martin (former Walkmen) announced a new album and released an advanced single The Bear.

I knew Leithauser would rise from the ashes of the Walkmen, but Walter Martin's career has been the one that has spoken to me the most. Maybe because I'm a similar vintage, spent my 20s running around NYC, and then moved away, had kids, and grew up fast... But from his children's album (which hit when I had a toddler) to the more recent wistful Randy Newman-esque stuff about trying to figure out your place in the world while entering your 40s, his stuff really speaks to me. (see Ride Down the Avenue from Reminisce Bar and Grill).

Anyway, I think the new track is great.

After 2020, when I started getting back to our local store in Tucson (Wooden Tooth Records), it seemed that they were busier then I remembered. I asked one of the owners if they'd had more business than pre-2020, and he responded with "oh yeah, it's been crazy!" So that makes me happy.
I loved Wooden Tooth when I was down there to visit pre-2020. I think I was the only one in there so that's good to hear. I miss those cozy record stores as everything I've been to lately has felt massive and gentrified (not to mention mostly only new sealed records). If I don't smell a lick of must in the air then I know I'm not gonna find some hidden gems.

Back