Music Festivals

Railbird's schedule is up and the overlaps suck.

oooooffff. I was strongly considering this one but this pretty much confirms I'm not going. 2-day passes are literally $30 less than what I paid for a weekend at pitchfork (and single day passes are $150 w/ fees???). And with this much overlap????? Yikes.

Aaaaannndddd it's cancelled again.

Yeah was really looking forward to going this year. My wife’s best friend is a surgeon down there and we were going to go with her but we had a feeling it might get bumped when she started telling us about how bad it is at her hospital now. Still bummed, but ultimately the right choice

Aaaaannndddd it's cancelled again.

Feel so bad for yall. I'm curious (dreading) if this is mainly because LA has some of the worst covid numbers in the world or if it's more of a domino effect. If I were to harbor a guess, I'd imagine it's going to be an event to event decision based on location.

Feel so bad for yall. I'm curious (dreading) if this is mainly because LA has some of the worst covid numbers in the world or if it's more of a domino effect. If I were to harbor a guess, I'd imagine it's going to be an event to event decision based on location.
I'm pretty sure this has to do with our case counts.

there will be more.

not quite all, like 2020, but I'm getting told a lot of "hold these dates" with no guarantees. will depend on state, promoter, and size.

there will be more.

not quite all, like 2020, but I'm getting told a lot of "hold these dates" with no guarantees. will depend on state, promoter, and size.
Yeah, I imagine the big ones in the south, like Roo, may not make it. I'm holding out hope for Pitchfork since it's not very big, and in a well-vaccinated state. Still plan on going with precautions.

if roo happens i am going, but i kinda hope it doesn't at this point. not sure what needs to happen for that to be the case, but i'm just waiting for artists to start pulling out for there to be any definitive movement in that direction, and with three weeks to go i'm not sure that will happen on a large enough scale.

if roo happens i am going, but i kinda hope it doesn't at this point. not sure what needs to happen for that to be the case, but i'm just waiting for artists to start pulling out for there to be any definitive movement in that direction, and with three weeks to go i'm not sure that will happen on a large enough scale.
I'm comfy with Pitchfork, because they, in addition to the other fests in Chicago like Lolla and Riot are requiring vaccination proof, in addition to masks. As far as I can tell rn, Bonnaroo is only requiring masks part of the time, so idk.

If you're vaccinated, the risk is still much lower than if you weren't, but hopefully they initiate some kind of vaccine mandate for additional safety. It's coming up pretty quick.

Unless something crazy happens I think we may be alright. Max attendance for P4k is literally 5% the amount of people that attended Lolla. Crowd size + required vaccines + required masks has me feeling decent about it. I plan on masking up for a full week and getting tested on return for good measure. We'll see how it pans out.

Unless something crazy happens I think we may be alright. Max attendance for P4k is literally 5% the amount of people that attended Lolla. Crowd size + required vaccines + required masks has me feeling decent about it. I plan on masking up for a full week and getting tested on return for good measure. We'll see how it pans out.
I have worked one music festival in the past year in a half- and it was in Chicago in July, with those requirements and similar size to Pitchfork.
it felt fine. crowds at night during the headliner got a little too squishy for my comfort, but since I was working, I never had to be in the crowd- and technically those attending did not have to be in a crowd either. my team was all vaccinated and we all took tests when we got back home. I laid low for a little bit after to be on the safe side- but it really felt okay.

my team at Lolla said they basically never left their office BOH because yikes.

I don't think roo is getting cut so close- it's in Tennessee after all. I hope they are talking about having testing on site at least. I'll say that Lolla had greater daily attendance than roo 2021, and roo is rural and has more than double the acreage of Grant Park. doesn't stop Delta, but the spacious all-outside setting sounds less worrying than the packed urban park where people also eat at indoor restaurants, stay in hotels, take cabs, etc.

Last edited:
it's something, at least

Bonnaroo 2021 Entry Protocols
The safety of our patrons and staff is our number one priority. As such a full COVID-19 vaccination or negative COVID-19 test will be required to attend Bonnaroo 2021.

Bonnaroo strongly encourages vaccination. The last day to receive the second shot of Moderna or Pfizer, or a single dose of Johnson and Johnson is Thursday, August 19th.

For patrons who are not fully vaccinated, a negative COVID-19 test result must be obtained within 72 hours (3 days) of first entering Centeroo. Bonnaroo requests that unvaccinated individuals wear a mask at all times while on The Farm.

Bonnaroo 2021 Entry Procedures:
  1. Comply with the Bonnaroo Fan Health Pledge
  2. Complete the Bonnaroo Health Verification as detailed below and receive a Health Check Wristband
  3. Bring your festival wristband and a mask

Bonnaroo Fan Health Pledge:

We ask that you not attend the festival if any of the following is true for you or anyone in your party:
  • Within 14 days before attending the festival you have tested positive, or been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
  • Within 48 hours prior to attending the festival, you have experienced symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., a fever of 100.4 or higher, cough, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, chills, repeated shaking muscle pain/achiness, headache, sore throat, loss of taste or smell, nasal congestion, runny nose, vomiting, diarrhea, fatigue, or any other symptoms associated with COVID-19 identified by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.)
  • Within 14 days prior to attending the festival you have traveled to any international territory identified by federal or applicable state or local governments as being subject to travel or quarantine advisories due to COVID-19.

Bonnaroo Health Verification:
  • Present a valid ID AND proof of vaccination or negative COVID-19 test within the past 72 hours to any campground medical tent and receive a Health Check Wristband. The Health Check Wristband will allow entry into Centeroo along with your festival wristband for the duration of the festival. Both a festival wristband AND Health Check Wristband are required to gain entry into Centeroo.
  • Forgot to test, lost your vax card, or are outside of the 72-hour window? No problem. COVID-19 Rapid Antigen testing will be available at Bonnaroo at any Plaza Medical Tent for $40. Health Check Wristbands will be issued upon negative test.
  • Positive Test Protocol
    • Should someone test positive on site they will be given a second (complimentary) test for confirmation. Medical staff will notify the individual of their test status, remove their festival wristband, and provide them a pre-printed card with instructions on how to request a refund for their ticket.
    • Patrons who test positive are not allowed to remain on site and will be asked to collect their belongings and exit the site immediately.

Based on the latest advice from the CDC, Bonnaroo will require masks in any indoor spaces, regardless of vaccination status.These areas include the General Store, Plaza Barns and all enclosed activations.

In addition, Bonnaroo will have increased hand sanitizer stations on site, and cleaning crews will do frequent cleanings in high touch areas.

I feel like if you've been to a pitchfork fest, you know the stage layout and approximate set times for them so it makes sense to me. it's always just about who plays where, not necessarily when.

Some TOUGH overlaps here, but overall pretty good. Friday will be nuts.

View attachment 108575
I'm going to miss Kelly Lee and that kills me
Some really tough choices here but I think this is my schedule

Friday- Armand Hammer, Dogleg, Dehd/djnate, Hop Along, Fiery Furnaces, ANCO, big thief until yaeji starts, phoebe

Sat - bartees strange, maxo kream, amaarae, Waxahatchee, ty/Georgia, woods, Jay Electronica,

Sun- whatever til Yves, Danny brown, flylo, badu

I'm going to miss Kelly Lee and that kills me
Some really tough choices here but I think this is my schedule

Friday- Armand Hammer, Dogleg, Dehd/djnate, Hop Along, Fiery Furnaces, ANCO, big thief until yaeji starts, phoebe

Sat - bartees strange, maxo kream, amaarae, Waxahatchee, ty/Georgia, woods, Jay Electronica,

Sun- whatever til Yves, Danny brown, flylo, badu
I haven't seen AnCo yet, but I feel like I will have more opportunities to see them than Kelly Lee, so I'm going with her.

Here's mine:

Friday: Armand Hammer -> Dogleg -> Hop Along -> Black Midi -> Fiery Furnaces -> Kelly Lee -> Big Thief -> Phoebe

Saturday: Bartess -> Maxo Kream -> Faye/Waxahatchee Split -> Jamila Woods -> Angel Olsen -> St Vincent

Sunday: Special Interest -> Caroline Polachek -> Thundercat/Yves Tumor (split maybe?? I would really like to see both) -> Danny -> Flying Lotus -> Erykah

I haven't seen AnCo yet, but I feel like I will have more opportunities to see them than Kelly Lee, so I'm going with her.

Here's mine:

Friday: Armand Hammer -> Dogleg -> Hop Along -> Black Midi -> Fiery Furnaces -> Kelly Lee -> Big Thief -> Phoebe

Saturday: Bartess -> Maxo Kream -> Faye/Waxahatchee Split -> Jamila Woods -> Angel Olsen -> St Vincent

Sunday: Special Interest -> Caroline Polachek -> Thundercat/Yves Tumor (split maybe?? I would really like to see both) -> Danny -> Flying Lotus -> Erykah
I've seen AnCo about a dozen times give or take and have never seen Kelly Lee, but there's a reason I've seen them that much. It really hurts as she's a top 5 act for me at this fest, but AnCo is my #1.

Missing Kim, Thundercat, and Cat Power also sucks but I've seen all of them before.

Back