Movies

secretly kinda liked Knock at the Cabin
Loved the preview for that and Old.
Hah! I just randomly watched "The Visit" today. I think that solidified what I've been thinking that all his movies are dark comedies. If it weren't why did they include that random terrible freestyle rap at the end. Overall, I actually thought it was great tho - almost my favorite from him maybe.

I've been watching a lot of M Night the past few years enough to do a ranking (lol). I've not seen some of these since they came out so probably would change if i rewatched some of these:

The Sixth Sense > The Visit > The Happening > Split > Devil > Glass > Knock at the Cabin > Unbreakable > The Last Airbender > Old > Signs > The Village

Last edited:
MV5BNmYyZGQzM2YtYTY3My00NGE5LWIzMmQtMDIxMTFhMGIxZDhhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY0Njc2MTUx._V1_.jpg

Thin characters, utterly predictable and thin plot, but Sweeney turns in a performance that saved it from being total crap.

Just finished it and it was a blast. Just wild, inventive silliness from start to end.
I'm eager to watch it! I saw a gif out of the blue on Twitter the other day and guessed correctly that it was by the creators of Lake Michigan Monster. LMM was quirky, quaint and fun (it got bonus points from me for being a production out of my native state of WI). That crew definitely has a signature style, and I'm excited to see how they do with dialing the slapstick up a few more notches.

Swinging through to say I really enjoyed Civil War.

The use of tone and cinematorgraphy are both phenomenal. The performances are excellent. And the longer I sit and meditate on its themes, the more it grows on me.

I went in nervous about the critiques that it nueters its politics but came away finding those accusations absurd. The film has a subtlety to what it's doing, but is hardly apolotical.

Civil War makes it clear that much of rural America is more than willing to ignore what is happening. The film makes it clear via Dunst's backstory that MAGA (either the president's government or his supporters) both massacred Anti-Fa and were firmly behind the 3rd term that led to war. The backstory is just quitely laced into conversational moments in a (very Garland) way that leaves a lot of room for interpretation.

More importantly, film's primary interest is in the role that journalists have played in getting us to this point. It acknowledges that journalism is vital to democracy and keeping a populace grounded in reality... but also that many journalists have completely lost their integrity and are willingly sacrificing their ethics in the name of maintaining a career.

Last edited:
Back