Movies

I want to watch it, but the whole squick factor of the premise has made me hesitate so far... (I know, I know)
Haven’t seen it yet, but is the squick factor more pervasive in this one? I’ve seen all his “weird” ones and feel he built on uncomfortability with one defining disgusting or unconscionable moment. Regardless, will eventually check it out.

Edit: Haven’t seen The Favourite, that one might be weird too

Haven’t seen it yet, but is the squick factor more pervasive in this one? I’ve seen all his “weird” ones and feel he built on uncomfortability with one defining disgusting or unconscionable moment. Regardless, will eventually check it out.

Poor Things is much more accessible (less squick) than both Killing of a Sacred Deer and The Lobster. Still weird, but there's a reason it's passed 100 mil at the box office.

I guess it's the whole "child-brain woman being taken advantage of by men" that makes me hesitate...

I guess it's the whole "child-brain woman being taken advantage of by men" that makes me hesitate...
Then you'll miss the payoff but I can't get into it without spoiling things. It's good. Give it a shot. It's not simply the description you give it. Plus, you'll want to see why Emma Stone wins the Oscar if she does receive the award tomorrow.

100% uncomfortable as intended for the entirety of the first act, but as other have alluded to it surpasses the squick in a really satisfying way. I feel like what negative reactions I've seen fail/refuse to recognize how much the movie indicts those squick factors once you get deeper.

This should make the Best Original Screenplay Oscar even more interesting if The Holdovers wins it.

From what comparisons I've seen, the line-by-line plagiarism accusation seems like a reach. There are similarities to the plot structure, but I'm not sure there's really enough for a strong case. Movies (and art at large) have borrowed and stole since the beginning of time.

In any case, Anatomy of a Fall is probably going to win og screenplay tomorrow, anyway.

Watched Anatomy of a Fall last night. While I place it below many of the Oscar movies this year, I will be in no way sad if Sandra Huller wins Best Actress. I enjoyed the movie left it to the viewer to decide and really it was more about how you fill in the gaps much like how Daniel did. I definitely would not like to be tried by the French justice system. The prosecutor was very punchable.

Absolutely loved the movie and Sandra Huller easily gave my favorite performance of last year. The argument scene really stuck with me long after watching it. I really wish she was more in the conversation for tonight’s Oscars

Back