Movies

Finally watched Dunkirk last night. Nolan is very hit or miss for me and I’m not as crazy about Oppenheimer as most (and will be annoyed when it sweeps the Oscars).

It was… very good? Not quite a 5 star film because the character work is basically non-existent. But that almost works in the films favor considering my issue with Nolan is usually his dialogue and / or the overwhelming sense that his film’s think they are smarter than they actually are.

Dunkirk just lets Nolan’s skills as a filmmaker tell a simple story and does it exceedingly well. And it knows when to end.

Finally watched Dunkirk last night. Nolan is very hit or miss for me and I’m not as crazy about Oppenheimer as most (and will be annoyed when it sweeps the Oscars).

It was… very good? Not quite a 5 star film because the character work is basically non-existent. But that almost works in the films favor considering my issue with Nolan is usually his dialogue and / or the overwhelming sense that his film’s think they are smarter than they actually are.

Dunkirk just lets Nolan’s skills as a filmmaker tell a simple story and does it exceedingly well. And it knows when to end.
It’s one that shows more than tells. I initially tried to watch while doing something else and had to restart when it had my complete focus. Once it had my full attention I absolutely love it though.

It’s one that shows more than tells. I initially tried to watch while doing something else and had to restart when it had my complete focus. Once it had my full attention I absolutely love it though.
It's top tier Nolan for me.

Referring more to brain damaged takes like this that are everywhere.

View attachment 193574

LMAO. Robbie deserved to be nominated but you'd think that critics would understand that SAG is separate from the rest of the academy and does whatever the fuck it wants.

As to Greta not getting nominated-- I have not yet seen Anatomy of a Fall (female director) nor The Zone of Interest so I will refrain from declaring anything. However, my issues with Oppenheimer (and by issues I mean the things preventing me from calling it a masterpiece) are related to the script. Meanwhile, Lorgos and Scorsese also deeply deserved their noms and Glazer, despite not being a household name, is one of the best filmmakers around. Under the Skin was a cold-cut masterpiece, I'm expecting Zone of Interest will be the same.

My personal snubs = Efron not getting nominated for the Iron Curtain or really anything related to the Iron Curtain. I also adored A Thousand a One and would have loved to see Teyana Taylor nominated. But despite it being 100x the film Coda was-- that was also never going to happen.

Also-- guess I gotta watch Maestro after all.

Last edited:
I hadn’t seen Tombstone in a long while and am watching it now. Just realized that Billy Bob Thorton was in it.
I actually just watched this earlier this week. i've seen this before but have forgotten it. I dont know what it is about this movie but it was hard to grasp what's going on in it. I also kept mixing up Kurt Russell & Val Kilmer's characters.

I actually just watched this earlier this week. i've seen this before but have forgotten it. I dont know what it is about this movie but it was hard to grasp what's going on in it. I also kept mixing up Kurt Russell & Val Kilmer's characters.
Val's Doc Holiday is one of my all time favorite acting jobs.

Yeah, Agreed. And I guess the thing with Nolan-- is that too often he gets talky and attempts to clumsily disperse his themes (Oppenheimer) or convoluted sci-fi (Inception). Or when the character work happens they don't quite feel like real people (The Prestige or even Memento).

And I'm somebody that loves talky btw. Linklater and Bombach are both foundational to my taste in film. Kevin Smith too for that matter. I just think Nolan is pretty bad at writing dialogue.

I think I'd go:

1) The Dark Knight
2) Dunkirk
3) Memento
(gap)
4) Oppenheimer
5) Interstellar
6) Batman Begins
7) The Prestige
(gap)
8) Insomnia
9) Dark Knight Rises
(gap)
10) Following
11) Inception

But I fucking loathe Inception for reasons that probably have as much to do with my hate of certain overhyped bands as it does the film itself.

Last edited:
Yeah, Agreed. And I guess the thing with Nolan-- is that too often he gets talky and attempts to clumsily disperse his themes (Oppenheimer) or convoluted sci-fi (Inception). Or when the character work happens they don't quite feel like real people (The Prestige or even Memento).

And I'm somebody that loves talky btw. Linklater and Bombach are both foundational to my taste in film. Kevin Smith too for that matter. I just think Nolan is pretty bad at writing dialogue.

I think I'd go:

1) The Dark Knight
2) Dunkirk
3) Memento
(gap)
4) Oppenheimer
5) Interstellar
6) Batman Begins
7) The Prestige
(gap)
8) Insomnia
9) Dark Knight Rises
(gap)
10) Following
11) Inception

But I fucking loathe Inception for reasons that probably have as much to do with my hate of certain overhyped bands as it does the film itself.
The fact that you rated Inception last makes me think you may have left Tenet off this list on purpose.

The fact that you rated Inception last makes me think you may have left Tenet off this list on purpose.
I actually haven't seen Tenet. Was holding out hope of someday seeing it in theaters.

Edit: Side note, can anybody explain to me how Hugh Jackman's character in the Prestige had the $ to pay Tesla for his research? I watched the film with my dad over the holidays and he quite liked it but was immediately asking that question. And I can't recall it ever explaining it either.

Too many mustaches maybe? I don’t know I didn’t have a similar issue. I will say while watching, I kinda followed along via Wikipedia just to see how close it was to the actual story and it is fairly on point though the final shoot out between Doc and Johnny Ringo is up for debate. While I enjoyed the movie I will say I feel like they didn’t do a great job of expressing the passage of time. The whole movie takes place over a number of years but you would be hard pressed to think that the whole thing took place over a couple weeks.

Back