Movies

IMG_1628.jpeg
Watching Gremlins 2: The New Batch and I forgot how great it is. It’s demented and cynical and referential, continually breaking the 4th wall. It feels like it was written by Conan O’Brien era Simpsons writers staff but that’s only part of the fun. The creature special effects are so damn awesome. It makes CGI just seem lazy by comparison. Gremlins 2 was released in 1990 and by 1993 we had Jurassic Park which feels like the turning point from analog to digital/CGI special effects. I understand that that CGI is way cheaper and offers endlesss possibilities but the real thing is so much more viscerally entertaining I wish they still occasionally did creature movies this way with minimal CGI.

i just assumed you were going to go through all of the "_________ day" movies.
I didn't even notice it until after i had seen Training Day 😄 I think the only "day" movies that are readily available to me that i can think of are Friday the 13th collection (which i got a couple of weeks ago) and Die Another Day but i would be getting way too ahead of myself with those.

Due to technical difficulties i had to stream the theatrical version on Disney+. It seems my blu-ray copy has a crack from the "spindle hole" to 1mm into the playing surface. It's below the surface in a way but apparently enough for the disc to not work at all. So now i gotta find a replacement disc on evilBay 😑
It's my least favorite of the original Apes movies but the extended cut is better. Pretty dumb you can't stream different cuts and another reason physical media is better.

IMG_7494.jpeg

Back