Movies

It's currently $4.99 on the iTunes store to promote the 4k Remaster just released earlier this week.
At this point it’s kind of a novelty that I haven’t seen it.

Plus it’s like 3+ hours (a double VHS). I think I get Gist; Jack & Rose, naked painting, l’m king of the world, My Heart Will Go On, The Heart Of The Ocean, boat hits iceberg, rose lives the Jack drowns, old Rose tosses necklaces in ocean.

Fin.

That’s what I’ve gleaned from pop culture references, history, and The Simpsons over the past 25 years. Now I’m free to use those 3+ hours to mindless scroll through cats on instagram, watch reality TV, or look up Wikipedia fact about President’s facial hair.

Plus it’s like 3+ hours (a double VHS). I think I get Gist; Jack & Rose, naked painting, l’m king of the world, My Heart Will Go On, The Heart Of The Ocean, boat hits iceberg, rose lives the Jack drowns, old Rose tosses necklaces in ocean.

Fin.

That’s what I’ve gleaned from pop culture references, history, and The Simpsons over the past 25 years. Now I’m free to use those 3+ hours to mindless scroll through cats on instagram, watch reality TV, or look up Wikipedia fact about President’s facial hair.
I’d say you’re missing out on the sheer believability of it all. The practical effects are really stunning and some of the scenes of the boat filling up with water are just so frightening and simultaneously enchanting to behold.

I haven’t seen it in over a decade probably but I remember so vividly how delicious that icey water looked filling up them hallways. I wanted to drink it all 🤣

Fin.

Its length basically packs in both a romance film and a disaster film, allowing you to get lost in one or the other, or both. If you want to watch a movie that tries to pull this off, but does so poorly, see: Pearl Harbor.

Regardless, from the moment the iceberg hits around halfway through the movie, your eyes are glued to the screen.

I think I initially resisted to be a bit a contrarian snob. Most of you are around my age and were teenagers in the 90s. The movie being everywhere and that song being everywhere made me resist watching it out of spite. Obviously I am well beyond the point of caring about those things at this point in my life but being someone over 40 that hasn’t seen Titanic feels kind of like being Millennial with no tattoos or piercings. Very few things in my life differentiate me from any other middle-aged white dude. I take the tiny victories where I can get them.

That all being said. I wouldn’t walk out of a room if Titanic were on but I don’t think I would go out of my way to watch it either. I would probably just rewatch The Poseidon Adventure if I ever get the urge to watch a boat disaster flick.

I think I initially resisted to be a bit a contrarian snob. Most of you are around my age and were teenagers in the 90s. The movie being everywhere and that song being everywhere made me resist watching it out of spite. Obviously I am well beyond the point of caring about those things at this point in my life but being someone over 40 that hasn’t seen Titanic feels kind of like being Millennial with no tattoos or piercings. Very few things in my life differentiate me from any other middle-aged white dude. I take the tiny victories where I can get them.

That all being said. I wouldn’t walk out of a room if Titanic were on but I don’t think I would go out of my way to watch it either. I would probably just rewatch The Poseidon Adventure if I ever get the urge to watch a boat disaster flick.
I was in a similar boat going in, but damn if I didn’t have a great time. Jim Cameron understands how to shoot action.

I got to see Pearl in the theater the other day. Didn’t enjoy X so I didn’t want to see Pearl initially. But hey A24 gave me a free ticket so I took a chance…and I loved it. It’s miles better than X. Fun, funny, horrifying…it’s all my favorite moods for a horror movie.

Dune in IMAX tonight!

Back