Movies

Watched Night Moves tonight (great thriller) and now I've seen every Kelly Reichardt feature! One of my favorite working directors, I think.

My ranking:
1. First Cow
2. Meek's Cutoff
3. Certain Women
4. Night Moves
5. Wendy and Lucy
6. Old Joy
7. Showing Up
8. Leaves of Grass
I’ve gotta watch more Reichardt. I adored both First Cow and Showing Up.

Humane_film_poster.jpg

A decent, if predictable, directorial debut by Caitlin Cronenberg.

MV5BNjUzOWFiNDgtNmEzMi00ODU2LTkwZTQtZWI1YjgyZjI2ZTczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjY0MTgwOQ@@._V1_.jpg

Caught this newish, contentious gem yesterday. Punk as fuck, autobiographical, trans coming-of-age that's also a scathing takedown of elite and insular comedy scenes.

Still gathering my thoughts on Civil War, mainly in the sense that I'm struggling to square 1) the online discourse drummed up by the movie's obviously-provocative title and imagery, 2) Garland's insistence that vague worldbuilding and a focus on journalists puts ideas/questions ahead of politics 3) the movie's constant dependence on provocative, politically-charged imagery and the frustration that comes from sapping political questions from the act of reporting. I think if there was more focus on characterization and these people's relationships to their jobs beyond "taking pictures during a firefight is chaotic," more personality and depth to relationships, the war would be more of a backdrop to the story. Like...the journalists don't interview anyone or write anything down. The characters are such thin ciphers that you can't help but ask "wait, but what is life like in New York?", or "why is it so surprising that someone would still go to work during this? It's a big country."

eta: good Silver Apples and Suicide needle drops tho

Last edited:
Watched The Teachers' Lounge last night and would definitely recommend it. I remember seeing the trailer and the hype and being pretty excited to check it out. I don't know that this is the kind of film I was expecting it to be, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Blue Giant, an anime based on a manga I'm currently reading about jazz, comes out physically and digitally tomorrow so I'm pretty amped for that.

Then I think I'll check out Challengers on Wednesday cause I finally have an afternoon again.

IMG_7747.jpeg

Rank (Movie):
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
Live And Let Die
Moonraker
For Your Eyes Only
The Man With The Golden Gun
Diamonds Are Forever
A View To A Kill
Octopussy

Rank (Song):
Shirley Bassey - "Diamonds Are Forever"
Shirley Bassey - "Goldfinger"
The John Barry Orchestra - "James Bond Theme"
Nancy Sinatra - "You Only Live Twice"
Sheena Easton - "For Your Eyes Only"
Louis Armstrong - "We Have All The Time In The World"
Carly Simon - "Nobody Does It Better"
Shirley Bassey - "Moonraker"
Tom Jones - "Thunderball"
Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die"
Lulu - "The Man With The Golden Gun"
Duran Duran - "A View To A Kill"
The John Berry Orchestra - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Matt Monro - "From Russia With Love"
Rita Coolidge - "All Time High"

I haven’t seen Unfrosted yet but this Richard Roeper review, where he lambasts it, calling it one of the worst movies of the decade has me really looking forward to it now.

I haven’t seen Unfrosted yet but this Richard Roeper review, where he lambasts it, calling it one of the worst movies of the decade has me really looking forward to it now.
This reminds me when Ebert had to review Dumb & Dumber or Billy Madison. I don’t know if this movie is good or bad but it sure sounds stupid and I love me some stupid comedy.

Last edited:
The weird thing is, I'm not familiar with Seinfeld's Pop Tarts joke so much as the NYT article a few years back outlining his process for writing the joke; so to me it feels like this movie is based on how amazing Jerry Seinfeld's creative process is.

Doesn't bode well that the framing device is "narrator tells story to runaway kid." I'll only accept that from Clifford.

Seinfeld is a hack (on top of being a creep and scumbag) who lucked out on being a namesake and mouthpiece for Larry David at his peak

Back