Movies

I watched the original Top Gun for the first time last year and hated it. That's not me saying it's a horrible film, but it was so not my thing that the idea of watching a legacy sequel to it didn't sound appealing at all. However, I do love spectacle, so I'm not going to rule it out before I actually give it a chance.
Maverick has much more in common with the recent Mission Impossible films than the original TG. Really impressive technical feats.

Huh, I feel like Maverick is very much a sequel to the original. I don’t know if I would say it was better or worse; It just feels like more of the same thing.
I agree with @ayayrawn that it feels kinda like they showed the Mission: Impossible production team Top Gun and said 'do another one.' It gets by less on aesthetics and more on a very tightly-constructed, textbook action screenplay combined with amazing practical stunt work.

Top Gun: Maverick is basically the same movie as the first except if it was good.
The is wild to me. I don’t understand how Maverick could be considered good and the original is bad. Seeing jet fighter planes zoom around the screen is what’s fun in both. The sequel is a bunch of call backs to the original; they sing the same song in the same bar, they play homoerotic beach sports, etc… I get no liking Top Gun as a whole or enjoying both. But liking the sequel and not liking the original seems odd to me.

Oh. Okay if you hated the original then you will likely hate this one too but who knows, you are a tough one to nail down gap.
Yeah, my tastes tend to be all over the place, but ultimately the only constant in my opinions is that I like what I like and all other concerns are secondary. I guess my wording in my original post ("zero interest") was a bit harsh. Obviously there's some curiosity in seeing what the hype is over any movie that gets a certain amount of praise even if it doesn't look like something that appeals to me personally. I try to go into every movie with an open mind no matter what and I've learned that I can't know for sure whether or not I will like something before I actually give it a chance. So while I can say that I'm not really sold on TG or Avatar prior to watching them, that statement is really kind of meaningless at the end of the day because I could turn either of them on and by the end be convinced they're one of the best movies of the year. Who knows?

I've seen 5/10 in the BP category (those in red.)

Maverick's and Avatar's inclusion feels purely based on the spectacle that these films created. Really well done, and a couple in the industry (Cruise, Cameron) at the top of their game well into their careers.

EEAAO was touching, innovative and laugh out loud hilarious. It's a movie I wouldn't mind watching yearly and do hope it wins.

Banshees was a very well done dark comedy, and I think Farrell deserves the BA award for his performance here. Subtle, muted, but captures the anxiety and anger of the character as he was going through what I found to be a common, yet confounding situation.

Elvis was the worst of the 5. Good performance from Butler, distracting performance from Hanks. And I just do not like Baz Luhrmann's directing style.

Remaining movies to see in order of how much I've seen people talk about them online:
1. The Fablemans
2. Tar
3. All Quiet on the Western Front
4. Triangle of Sadness
5. Women Talking (this is the only one that wasn't on my radar)

The is wild to me. I don’t understand how Maverick could be considered good and the original is bad. Seeing jet fighter planes zoom around the screen is what’s fun in both. The sequel is a bunch of call backs to the original; they sing the same song in the same bar, they play homoerotic beach sports, etc… I get no liking Top Gun as a whole or enjoying both. But liking the sequel and not liking the original seems odd to me.

Coming from somebody who has already stated how I feel about both films-- I think it's the technical craft side. From a technical craft side, the second one is immaculately made.

There's so much more to the set pieces and story in Maverick. It has callbacks definitely but they don't make up the bulk of the movie. This is just personal opinion of course, but the story has much more weight and the action scenes are MUCH more impressive than the original, and it's just overall more enjoyable to watch.

While we're talking about spectacle and the Oscars: I'm right there with everyone on Nope being snubbed, but The Northman also deserved better imo. I didn't expect it to take up any of the big awards (has Eggers ever been recognized by the Oscars?) but I would have definitely slid it some noms for cinematography/costume design/etc.

Also while it's nice to see The Batman get some (very deserved) love for its technical aspects, if things like Avatar and Top Gun are fair game for BP (no shade!) I don't see why it shouldn't be considered as well 🤷‍♀️ also strongly believe GDT's Pinocchio deserved a BP nomination as well, but one of the only things the Oscars have less respect for than horror is animation, so not surprising. Also I guess I'm the only one who really loved Wendell & Wild because I would have put that in the Animated category in a heartbeat. Was Mad God eligible this year too?

I agree with @ayayrawn that it feels kinda like they showed the Mission: Impossible production team Top Gun and said 'do another one.' It gets by less on aesthetics and more on a very tightly-constructed, textbook action screenplay combined with amazing practical stunt work.
I guess I assumed 30+ years of technical innovation would explain why the action scenes in 2022 looked better than the action scenes from 1984. In many ways that is a feat in that in the day and age we now live, it woulda been easier for the sequel to overly reliant on CGI turning it into a another Green Screen disaster.

Maybe the story and non-action portions feel like a sequel to the original and the action sequences feel bigger and better but that is what I was expecting.

For me I could understand people liking the original and liking the sequel, and I wouldn’t have been surprised if people who liked the original were disappointed in the sequel (had it been bad) but the idea that someone would hate the original and enjoy the sequel just feels weird to me. I am hard pressed to think of any movie where I hated the original but loved the sequel. Some where the sequel improves on the original but none where I hated it and then enjoyed the sequel.

I guess I assumed 30+ years of technical innovation would explain why the action scenes in 2022 looked better than the action scenes from 1984. In many ways that is a feat in that in the day and age we now live, it woulda been easier for the sequel to overly reliant on CGI turning it into a another Green Screen disaster.

Maybe the story and non-action portions feel like a sequel to the original and the action sequences feel bigger and better but that is what I was expecting.

For me I could understand people liking the original and liking the sequel, and I wouldn’t have been surprised if people who liked the original were disappointed in the sequel (had it been bad) but the idea that someone would hate the original and enjoy the sequel just feels weird to me. I am hard pressed to think of any movie where I hated the original but loved the sequel. Some where the sequel improves on the original but none where I hated it and then enjoyed the sequel.
To be clear, I don't hate the original Top Gun. Just think it's mediocre and dated. There are some enjoyable aspects about it.

While we're talking about spectacle and the Oscars: I'm right there with everyone on Nope being snubbed, but The Northman also deserved better imo. I didn't expect it to take up any of the big awards (has Eggers ever been recognized by the Oscars?) but I would have definitely slid it some noms for cinematography/costume design/etc.

Also while it's nice to see The Batman get some (very deserved) love for its technical aspects, if things like Avatar and Top Gun are fair game for BP (no shade!) I don't see why it shouldn't be considered as well 🤷‍♀️ also strongly believe GDT's Pinocchio deserved a BP nomination as well, but one of the only things the Oscars have less respect for than horror is animation, so not surprising. Also I guess I'm the only one who really loved Wendell & Wild because I would have put that in the Animated category in a heartbeat. Was Mad God eligible this year too?
I enjoy following the oscars just because it's fun to guess, and see films you like win stuff, but yeah, there's always going to be stuff they avoid and I never use them as THE barometer for quality.

To quantify:

Something I like wins/gets nominated: hell yeah, it's nominated for an oscar!

Something I like isn't nominated/something I don't like wins: who cares, oscars don't matter.

also strongly believe GDT's Pinocchio deserved a BP nomination as well, but one of the only things the Oscars have less respect for than horror is animation, so not surprising. Also I guess I'm the only one who really loved Wendell & Wild because I would have put that in the Animated category in a heartbeat. Was Mad God eligible this year too?

W&W was so fun. I definitely would have though that would be nommed before The Sea Beast which was well produced but shallow.

I guess I'll finally get around to EEAAO even though the intense reactions to it kind of turned me away.

I'm curious what your take on EEAAO will be. I feel like the below is a pretty perfect take on it.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 143345.png

I loved it and find it very fun and a moving watch. I could say a lot more but will hold off to not spoil anything.

I enjoy following the oscars just because it's fun to guess, and see films you like win stuff, but yeah, there's always going to be stuff they avoid and I never use them as THE barometer for quality.

To quantify:

Something I like wins/gets nominated: hell yeah, it's nominated for an oscar!

Something I like isn't nominated/something I don't like wins: who cares, oscars don't matter.
Agreed, I have my issues with the ceremony/institution itself but I'm still a movie lover at the end of the day so it's hard for me not to get swept up in the hype. I'm not the kind of person who demands award shows cater to my taste, I'm mostly just venting about the stuff I would have liked to see get a bit more love.

One good takeaway from this ceremony: Mitski is now an Oscar nominee!!

Back