Movies

This might be a bit too comic book nerdy but the recent run of of Silver Surfer by Dan Slott and Mike Allred IMO would be a great vehicle for Shane Carruth it’s a wild sci-fi and doomed intimate romance rolled into one. Hopefully they would still let him compose the soundtrack too.

Anyway, I couldn’t sleep last night so I watched that new flick, The Old Guard, with Charlize Theron.

First off, it was pretty damned good. I’m not familiar with the source material so I don’t know how true they stayed to the original storyline.

Second, I’m thinking they must have used the same fight choreographer as the John Wick films. The fight scenes were very well done, over the top, and made prolific use of the gun-fu technique, of which I am a fan.

Lastly, oh my gods Charlize Theron is amazing! She has become one of the most consistently bankable action stars over the last 7 years or so. From Mad Max to Atomic Blonde to this film, she has carved out an amazing shelf atop the pantheon of action heroes and I am all about it. I could literally watch her film target practice scenes and be impressed.

Worth a watch

Palm Springs. Pretty fun!
I enjoyed it. It’s not incredible, but it’s exactly what I thought it was/wanted so I’m happy
Pretty fun, but I have to admit that one of the flavors of a repeating day story I like the most is when a character starts getting to know everything/one well enough to be able to see how everything is connected and start solving problems in their lives. This time, the milieu, and even the resolution to the overall problem, are only incidental, and not thematically or plot-driven in any way.

Pretty fun, but I have to admit that one of the flavors of a repeating day story I like the most is when a character starts getting to know everything/one well enough to be able to see how everything is connected and start solving problems in their lives. This time, the milieu, and even the resolution to the overall problem, are only incidental, and not thematically or plot-driven in any way.

Yes! This is why Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow rule so hard.

Anyway, I couldn’t sleep last night so I watched that new flick, The Old Guard, with Charlize Theron.

First off, it was pretty damned good. I’m not familiar with the source material so I don’t know how true they stayed to the original storyline.

Second, I’m thinking they must have used the same fight choreographer as the John Wick films. The fight scenes were very well done, over the top, and made prolific use of the gun-fu technique, of which I am a fan.

Lastly, oh my gods Charlize Theron is amazing! She has become one of the most consistently bankable action stars over the last 7 years or so. From Mad Max to Atomic Blonde to this film, she has carved out an amazing shelf atop the pantheon of action heroes and I am all about it. I could literally watch her film target practice scenes and be impressed.

Worth a watch

Watching this tonight ..

Made this list the other day based on the first half of the year... Palm Springs would make this list, because I loved it, but I decided not to add any films that I watched after July 1st to the list...

31 of these are available to watch at home in some way as of today

Worth a watch
This is on my shortlist of movies I might watch tonight.

Worth a watch
Been looking forward to this one, even though I'm not familiar with the source yet. Just excited to see indie comics get their due. (Was also excited for The Last Days of American Crime since I love Remender/Tocchini originals, but the movie reception was not good.)

It's a shame Theron won't be reprising her role as Furiosa in the upcoming Mad Max movie. It's a prequel, so that begs the question how far back they're planning to go with the character's age, but I never thought of Furiosa being all that "old" to begin with. Theron was the best part of that movie!

Worth a watch
Pretty good watch...and defo franchise possibilities

I’ve got The Twilight Samurai on Plex if anyone wants a temporary share. I’m not sure how easy it is to find otherwise.

So I finally was able to watch "The Twilight Samurai", and it did not disappoint. Thank you very much for that recommendation. I loved every bit of it. I actually watched it after re-watching "Harakiri", and that ended up being a perfectly paired double feature.

So I finally was able to watch "The Twilight Samurai", and it did not disappoint. Thank you very much for that recommendation. I loved every bit of it. I actually watched it after re-watching "Harakiri", and that ended up being a perfectly paired double feature.

I’m glad you liked it! I recommend it every chance I get. It’s a beautiful film. And that duel with the training sword!

I’m glad you liked it! I recommend it every chance I get. It’s a beautiful film. And that duel with the training sword!

I found the dialogue so natural in that film. A couple of times, I had in my mind what I felt the character would say in a particular conversation, and the character delivered exactly the line I was thinking. It wasn't because the film was predictable. It was more that the dialogue remained true to the characters throughout.

I’ve been watching a ton of movies lately, because Covid. Palm Springs was tons of fun (and I usually don’t love Groundhog Day type movies) Greyhound extremely suspenseful and well done, and Eurovision just not my bag at all.

I also watched the Goonies, Beverly Hills Cop, and Raiders of the Lost Ark. you’ve probably heard of them.

Last edited:
Back