Movies

While taking the youngest daughter (13) to the school bus, she played If You Leave by OMD which got us talking about other John Hughes films she hasn't seen yet. The wife is very opposed to watching Sixteen Candles as the humor in it hasn't aged well. So that got us thinking about other Hughes films the kids haven't seen yet. Which led to us watching this. I'll argue this is his most mature film to date. I don't think my heart died but it is funny how this movie hits a little differently as a parent. 3 out of 4 felt Ally Sheedy was better before the makeover.

images

Tonight I have a man date with 2 of my buddies. We're going to go see Madame Web because I really wanted to see possibly the worst Marvel adjacent movie ever made. I'm expecting great and terrible things. Beer will be consumed before and during.
Sheedy’s makeover in that movie is a war crime.

Madame Web was as horrible as the reviews said. I don't understand how a movie can go through that many layers of production and people still signed off on the finished product. Sony will be forever chasing the success of Venom.

Madame Web was as horrible as the reviews said. I don't understand how a movie can go through that many layers of production and people still signed off on the finished product. Sony will be forever chasing the success of Venom.
They will keep making these turkeys as long as they can keep the rights for Spider-Man from reverting back to Disney.

Just got back from Dune Part Two. What a wild experience. I did not want it to end. So much more emotion, storytelling, world expanding. Taken with Part One I think it’s an incredible piece of work. Also I am now super invested in tackling the book - when I have time. Also I guess there will be a part three to finish it all off, which I didn’t know going in. That said, I found it a satisfying experience.

Just got back from Dune Part Two. What a wild experience. I did not want it to end. So much more emotion, storytelling, world expanding. Taken with Part One I think it’s an incredible piece of work. Also I am now super invested in tackling the book - when I have time. Also I guess there will be a part three to finish it all off, which I didn’t know going in. That said, I found it a satisfying experience.
I just came here to say this! It was everything I wanted.

Villeneuve’s Dune Messiah adaptation is some years off, but even if it doesn’t happen, he absolutely stuck the landing.

They will keep making these turkeys as long as they can keep the rights for Spider-Man from reverting back to Disney.
I can't help but wonder, with the ironic reception of Morbius and Madame Web, that they know a certain bonkers awfulness will still get butts in seats.

I guess we will find out with the upcoming failure by Sony, Kraven. Madame Web has only made 77 million globally. Pretty sure the budget was $90 million and I'm sure marketing is maybe half that. There's only so many failures Sony can continue to take.

@Bennnnn I can’t stop thinking about how I want to watch 2une again.
I have thought about going again at the end of the week...I felt so transported and inside it. I don't know the last time that happened. Maybe Boy and the Heron in IMAX, but it wasn't quite replicated when I saw it again on a normal screen.

not a movie i suppose, but i got planet earth iii on 4k and it probably goes without saying that it is a must for any 4k collection. there's a scene in the first 15 minutes or so where a great white slowly emerges through the sea murk as it hunts seals and i literally said out loud to myself, 'that was awesome'. just stunning.

Back