Movies

Park So-dam

She really didn’t get much attention for her role which IMO was a huge part of the film! As soon as she shows up at the house it kicks into high gear. I just took a look and was surprised to see she even lost the Blue Dragon to her castmate Lee Jung-eun. Shame but I’m sure we’ll be seeing her in some lead roles soon.

Well, i saw Cats and it was somehow both worse than I imagined and not as fun as I thought it'd be. Don't get me wrong, there are moments of WTF joy you feel watching this trash movie. The overall look of it is so bafflingly bad, it's entertaining. But for big stretches, it's kind of just dull. On a musical level, it's terrible. I was shocked at how bad the songs all were. The Taylor Swift song was the first one in the film that felt like a real song, and even it wasn't that great (sorry Taylor). But the rest of them...just...what the fuck were they? Awkward, clumsy, boring, bad instrumentation...it's just crazy how this was a successful musical. Crazier that someone saw it and thought it should be a movie. It does not work as a movie one bit. On a film level, it's one of the worst big studio movies I've seen in quite a while. From the odd tonal choices to some of the terrible acting (from Rebel Wilson and James Corden especially) to the "story" structure to the overall look...it's just insanely bad. The CGI often looks like it belongs in a movie from the early 2000s. Having said all that...is it worth a watch to laugh at it? Maybe once. But it's not as entertaining as it could have been as a bad film.

Finally went to see Uncut Gems. 😬😬😬😬

I thought it was great, if a bit of an uncomfortable viewing experience. Definitely feels like a snub for it to get no noms.
I caught it again this weekend; it definitely got robbed by the Academy, even for sound mixing, which is a huge part of what makes it succeed.

Second time around, the movie’s a little less stressful; I felt like I had a better grasp of the major characters and where the story was going. Eric Bogosian, for example, has a lot more discernible of an arc; the first time around, it felt like Howie just owed money all over town (and he does), but this time around, him navigating specifically his debt with Bogosian looms over the whole thing. Julia Fox is amazing; it’s weird because her character is both utterly unrealistic and the only honest person in the movie.

Speaking of rewatching, went in for the Parasite 4K digital (mixed on recommending it to those who care about PQ, one of the handful of unfortunate victims of visible compression artifacts on iTunes, but the HDR would be hard to lose if you go the BR route). I think I need a mouthguard next time, as I was clenching my jaw through the entire thing despite knowing the whole premise!

The end of the film is so well done (IMO his best ending since Memories), that it still hits as hard as the first time. Anyhow, here's a Vanity Fair profile on Bong for any fellow fans.

Speaking of rewatching, went in for the Parasite 4K digital (mixed on recommending it to those who care about PQ, one of the handful of unfortunate victims of visible compression artifacts on iTunes, but the HDR would be hard to lose if you go the BR route). I think I need a mouthguard next time, as I was clenching my jaw through the entire thing despite knowing the whole premise!

The end of the film is so well done (IMO his best ending since Memories), that it still hits as hard as the first time. Anyhow, here's a Vanity Fair profile on Bong for any fellow fans.

It's insane how well the movie works on repeat viewings.

Can't wait for my BR to arrive.

(Also, for my money, Mother's ending is up there.)

It's insane how well the movie works on repeat viewings.

Can't wait for my BR to arrive.

(Also, for my money, Mother's ending is up there.)

Mother is great too, that ending really reminded me of Barking Dogs as well... hell all of his films end well. He has the ability to bring his films to bombastic climaxes that don't come at the expense of the falling action. I think it can be rare for films that play with genre tropes to have an ending as meaningful as a drama — and one that enriches the previous content — but he does it every time.

Do people like digital copies of movies? I’ve never used them. Anyway...any interest in a digital copy of The Lighthouse? I just got the blu-ray and of course it’s included. I love this movie, so I figured why not share it with someone out there for free?

also if there’s any interest in more, I probably have other digital codes that have never been touched.

Do people like digital copies of movies? I’ve never used them. Anyway...any interest in a digital copy of The Lighthouse? I just got the blu-ray and of course it’s included. I love this movie, so I figured why not share it with someone out there for free?

also if there’s any interest in more, I probably have other digital codes that have never been touched.

I always redeem all of my digital codes and then stream them on my AppleTV. I don't need The Lighthouse but I'd been interested in other things.

Let me see what I have and I’ll post them up here soon

On Black Friday I used to buy Blu-rays for $10 or less, redeem the code to get them into our library, and then take the physical discs to Amoeba and trade them in for store credit. In some cases, I actually got more credit than what I paid for them on sale.

On Black Friday I used to buy Blu-rays for $10 or less, redeem the code to get them into our library, and then take the physical discs to Amoeba and trade them in for store credit. In some cases, I actually got more credit than what I paid for them on sale.
I haven’t bought many blu-rays honestly. I still find myself watching things on streaming or wherever most of the time. But the blu-rays I do own are movies I just love. Some I got used, so I’ll have to check inside and see which have digital copies.

I haven’t bought many blu-rays honestly. I still find myself watching things on streaming or wherever most of the time. But the blu-rays I do own are movies I just love. Some I got used, so I’ll have to check inside and see which have digital copies.

We got our first Blu-ray player back in 2009 so we pretty much only bought those instead of DVDs. When streaming really took off we finally used the download codes to build a digital library. Now we don't watch many discs at all. We've been here in Sacramento for almost 5 months already and we still haven't hooked up our player.

i’ll take that lighthouse code if it’s still up for grabs!

I always redeem them when I get them with blu-rays. I love having my physical media, but digital codes make it so easy to watch my movies whenever and wherever I want.

I threw this playlist together to play before our Oscars party. Features notable music from films this year.

Good, bad, and otherwise (hello Cats)

It’s funny how stunted my physical movie collection is; I was pretty voracious about buying dvds through high school, then not so much in college, and pretty much nil after that, save for a couple of purchases of favorites I know I'll watch enough times a year that I don't want to rent or hope will be available on a service. So my video library is solely in the wheelhouse of “seventeen year-old boy,” with a couple of Altman blu-rays in there for good measure. And Jaws and Close Encounters on Blu-ray.

The sheer volume of movies available for streaming has stopped me from buying movies, but I’m starting to feel like I should start leveling up the ol’ library.

It’s funny how stunted my physical movie collection is; I was pretty voracious about buying dvds through high school, then not so much in college, and pretty much nil after that, save for a couple of purchases of favorites I know I'll watch enough times a year that I don't want to rent or hope will be available on a service. So my video library is solely in the wheelhouse of “seventeen year-old boy,” with a couple of Altman blu-rays in there for good measure. And Jaws and Close Encounters on Blu-ray.

The sheer volume of movies available for streaming has stopped me from buying movies, but I’m starting to feel like I should start leveling up the ol’ library.

Streaming is fine, but I like having a physical artifact, and Blu-rays just look and sound so much better.

this and I don’t trust streaming services to keep things I love around
^This.

Streaming services can take away anything at their discretion. And I feel the streaming service bubble will reach a breaking point in the next maybe 5 years. Buying your movies is the way to go again.

Streaming is fine, but I like having a physical artifact, and Blu-rays just look and sound so much better.
this and I don’t trust streaming services to keep things I love around
^This.

Streaming services can take away anything at their discretion. And I feel the streaming service bubble will reach a breaking point in the next maybe 5 years. Buying your movies is the way to go again.
Funny how folks on a vinyl enthusiast board would covet physical media. :LOL:

But yeah, I'm moving that direction as well. Funny thing is, my wife is more of a "watch the same movies over and over" type; I need to get a When Harry Met Sally Blu-ray already, as that's her go-to comfort flick.

Little Women is the first movie in a while to make me say "oh I'll need a copy of this." That movie is a vibe, and I want it available to me at all times.

Back