Movies

I havent seen Blackberry yet but have it ready to watch. Same with Tetris, I think that gives off the same vibe so I will watch that at somepoint too.
Blackberry is a terrific little movie, you don't feel the corporate thumb hovering over it quite the same way as you do in Air, but its pleasures are similar. Can't speak to Tetris.

Blackberry is a terrific little movie, you don't feel the corporate thumb hovering over it quite the same way as you do in Air, but its pleasures are similar. Can't speak to Tetris.
Just finished Blackberry. I’m glad to see Glenn Howerton get his due, better late than never. Incredible intensity.

Elemental was pretty good. Based on the trailer I thought it would be worse, but it was pleasantly surprising in how simple and pleasant it was. Not my favorite by any means, but generally good. The animation wasn’t doing it for me in the trailers but it looks really beautiful on the big screen - especially the city locations.

Liked The Green Knight but didn't love it. I admire the ambition of attempting to adapt such a weird, somewhat arcane piece of literature, and it is a gorgeous production, but the style sometimes felt like a distraction from the story Lowery was trying to tell.

Our normal Father's Day tradition is watching a Pixar movie. Since we just got back from our vacation, we decided to stay in instead and watched this on Disney+ which I thought was pretty great. Maybe I'm just getting easier to please in my midlife years but I don't see why people keep crapping on Disney and Pixar. It's still pretty good to me. We'll see Elemental at a matinee this Tuesday.

strange_world_hero.png

Our normal Father's Day tradition is watching a Pixar movie. Since we just got back from our vacation, we decided to stay in instead and watched this on Disney+ which I thought was pretty great. Maybe I'm just getting easier to please in my midlife years but I don't see why people keep crapping on Disney and Pixar. It's still pretty good to me. We'll see Elemental at a matinee this Tuesday.

strange_world_hero.png

This one isn't Pixar but I do want to watch it eventually

Elemental at a matinee this Tuesday.
I think this movie had the worst opening weekend in Pixar history, made less the $30M domestic. Reviews have been solid though so maybe it will pick up or maybe families spent too much money at Spider-Man and Super Mario Brothers and decided to watch this one on Disney+ in a couple months.

My parents were here this weekend for Father's Day and they were going to watch our daughter while my wife and I went to see Asteroid City but it turns out that it doesn't open everywhere until NEXT weekend. Oh, well. I guess we'll just have to go see it separately.

I think this movie had the worst opening weekend in Pixar history, made less the $30M domestic. Reviews have been solid though so maybe it will pick up or maybe families spent too much money at Spider-Man and Super Mario Brothers and decided to watch this one on Disney+ in a couple months.
It's one of the worst reviewed Pixar films, second only to Cars 2. I'll probably see it eventually, and I'm sure it's cute, but there isn't really a spark for me. Seems like a concept we've seen a variation of like 4 or 5 times already.

Last edited:
I think Disney has effectively trained their audience to simply wait for movies to come out on Disney+ and that’s hurting their theatrical releases. Onward, Soul, and Turning Red were all available on Disney+ due to Covid. Even a hit like Encanto was easier to get on Disney+ than the theater. It sorta trained the audience that these movies aren’t necessarily ones you have to see in the theaters. Super Mario and Spider-verse, you don’t have a streaming option for a long time.

I regretted last night that we didn’t go see Strange World in the theater because it’s visually very stunning.

On another forum, I made this observation about the sad state of movie watching now and how we don't seem to want anything other than sequels, reboots, or nostalgia plays.

The domestic top 10 of 2021, 2022, and through current 2023 are all sequels except one which is Free Guy in 2021 that came in 10th.

As far as original ideas and their place in the domestic box office and I'm excluding comic book movies:
2021- Free Guy #10th, Encanto- 15th
2022- Elvis- 12th, Uncharted-13th, Nope-14th, Smile-16th, The Lost City-17th, Bullet Train-18th, The Bad Guys-19th
2023- M3GAN-13th, Dungeons & Dragons-14th, Cocaine Bear-16th, A Man Called Otto-17th, Air-20th

So yes, we don't seem to really want original stories or studios just aren't making them because they know what is successful for them: sequels and nostalgia.

Back