Movies

I love Wes Anderson’s films, all of them. But of course I have favorites. I have a soft spot for Darjeeling cause it was the first one I see in theaters, twice. Moonrise Kingdom is one that I love everything about, but I don’t see it talked about much. I didn’t totally gel with The French Dispatch, but I think I need to watch it again. Asteroid City looks interesting with its super hazy colors, almost like Moonrise a tiny bit visually. I’ll be seeing it this weekend for sure.

Also, just to throw my hat into the ring on the Wes Anderson talk real quick, while there's a decent chunk of his filmography I haven't gotten to yet, I've really enjoyed everything I've seen from him. Plus we desperately need directors with strong visions and styles in this current wasteland of endless "content."

I think I've at least watched everything he's done post-Fantastic Mr. Fox (which is probably my personal favorite), but before that I think I've only seen Tenenbaums. I loved Moonrise Kingdom and The French Dispatch, and Isle of Dogs was a really dark yet really sweet movie. I need a refresher on The Grand Budapest Hotel, though I remember liking it too.

Need to catch up on some Wes. Haven't seen anything of his since Grand Budapest, which is my favorite.

As for back-catalog, haven't seen Darjeeling Limited or Fantastic Mr. Fox.

Darjeeling and Isle of Dogs are my only gaps, but I enjoy all of his movies I've seen to varying degrees. Grand Budapest and Moonrise Kingdom are masterpieces, imo.
YaY. My people!! Grand Budapest is my favorite of his movies.

Late to the game but I caught Spider-Verse last night. It felt perfectly comic-book-y and I’m impressed how these movies manage to balance love for the character with a sense of humor over how silly and out-of-hand some of these spin-offs can get. And they bake it into the story and world-building; it’s way impressive.

I was surprised how little (relatively) of the movie involved the council of spiders men. I didn’t mind the cliffhanger; maybe that was because I was braced for it, but I felt like it cleanly set up stakes and story for the next movie while resolving the action. It felt somewhere between Empire Strikes Back and Matrix Reloaded (which imo got a lot of unfair flak for its cliffhanger).

Late to the game but I caught Spider-Verse last night. It felt perfectly comic-book-y and I’m impressed how these movies manage to balance love for the character with a sense of humor over how silly and out-of-hand some of these spin-offs can get. And they bake it into the story and world-building; it’s way impressive.
I mentioned this on Letterboxd, but my favorite off-hand joke in the movie is an undisguised Morbius burn: "A vampire good guy? I'd pay good money to see that."

Back