Movies

I don't mind them sequeling movies from the 80s. My issue is more with remakes. For something like Ghostbusters where it's a continuation of the existing lore/universe, it could be pretty fun. I loved Ghostbusters when I was a kid. I've now shown it to my kids and they also really liked it. So now we can go experience a brand new story in that universe but with kids as the leads so they can enjoy it at their level. And Paul Rudd from Antman (another favorite of theirs) can't hurt.

I really liked the performances in Marriage Story more than the actual
film. Still enjoyable but not Oscar worthy IMO.

The Irishman was about an hour too long but quite the accomplishment from Scorsese. I didn’t find the de-aging distracting at all.

The Irishman was about an hour too long but quite the accomplishment from Scorsese. I didn’t find the de-aging distracting at all.

I recently heard De Niro is supposed to be 20-something in the youngest de-aging scene, at the gas station. I don't know if that tracks; wikipedia says he met Bill Buffalino in 1955, putting him at 35. Still, I thought you could at best convince me he was 45 there, just based on his body language and motion (I hear there was a posture expert on set just there to tell De Niro and Pesci to stand up straighter).

Funny enough, my favorite de-aged performance was Pacino, who at 79 has SO MUCH energy to give that performance. The fact that he is such a live wire, is visibly de-aged, but has this blocky old-man body makes him seem like a Dick Tracy villain. I loved it.

I recently heard De Niro is supposed to be 20-something in the youngest de-aging scene, at the gas station. I don't know if that tracks; wikipedia says he met Bill Buffalino in 1955, putting him at 35. Still, I thought you could at best convince me he was 45 there, just based on his body language and motion (I hear there was a posture expert on set just there to tell De Niro and Pesci to stand up straighter).

Funny enough, my favorite de-aged performance was Pacino, who at 79 has SO MUCH energy to give that performance. The fact that he is such a live wire, is visibly de-aged, but has this blocky old-man body makes him seem like a Dick Tracy villain. I loved it.
4T8g.gif

One week til Star Wars...
I'm only going because my work is paying me to go. Even with how much I'm enjoying the Mandalorian, I have no love left in my heart for these movies.

My cautious optimism has faded considerably over the last few weeks. It feels like many of the Disney-SW haters and TLJ haters can't be swayed, and the TLJ bridge-burning coming from ROS cast and crew is really turning off TLJ-enjoyers such as myself. This next one truly feels like "well let's just end this dang thing and all chill while we figure out what we want next (more baby Star Wars characters)."

I don’t take Star Wars too seriously. Not a huge huge fan or something. But I’ve enjoyed the new ones, they’re just fun watches. So I am looking forward to the new one. Friday is my last day of work until the last week of December, so I may be able to leave early and see the movie. But if not, I’ll be braving the evening showing. No idea how crowded it’ll be but I’m expecting it to be packed.

side note: I saw A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood the day after thanksgiving. Big mistake. Really enjoyed the movie...haven’t seen much talk about it but Tom Hanks is fantastic in it. The crowd was bananas. I’ve never seen the theater so crowded. Then again, I never go to the movies near Thanksgiving.

Back