Movies

We're 5 of 8 through the Best Picture nominees. So far, we've watched Judas and the Black Messiah, Nomadland, Promising Young Woman, The Trial of the Chicago 7, and Sound of Metal. I think we'll finish out in the order of Minari, Mank, and the Father. You've got to break up those depressing movies as that's a tough back to back nights watch. I think Nomadland wins BP so far because it's the retirement age version of Boyhood.

John Huston’s Maltese Falcon is a damn good adaptation of the novel, and Bogey is iconic. What a performance.
Of the 3 Bogey films I've watched recently, I put Casablanca and The Big Sleep ahead of it, but they're all good. Once I get back around to watching, 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' is on deck with him.

Of the 3 Bogey films I've watched recently, I put Casablanca and The Big Sleep ahead of it, but they're all good. Once I get back around to watching, 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre' is on deck with him.
I just appreciated what a faithful adaptation it was.

I need to check out The Big Sleep, I loved the novel. And Treasure of the Sierra Madre’s on my list too.

Also enjoyed The African Queen.

I just appreciated what a faithful adaptation it was.

I need to check out The Big Sleep, I loved the novel. And Treasure of the Sierra Madre’s on my list too.

Also enjoyed The African Queen.
I haven't read any of the books, and I think this is my first time through any of his movies, so I'm not a very good judge on it. Treasure, African Queen, and Sabrina are all that's left from Bogey that I have to watch!

Stars aligned and I had the time and attention span to watch a foreign-language film longer than 90 minutes, so I finally got around to Kurosawa's High and Low. Now that's a movie picture. The blocking is what really impressed me; for that first hour or so in the apartment, you never tire of being in one location because he does such a good job of adding/subtracting characters and changing their positions to match the drama.

Stars aligned and I had the time and attention span to watch a foreign-language film longer than 90 minutes, so I finally got around to Kurosawa's High and Low. Now that's a movie picture. The blocking is what really impressed me; for that first hour or so in the apartment, you never tire of being in one location because he does such a good job of adding/subtracting characters and changing their positions to match the drama.
It is a masterpiece of blocking. One of my favorite movies of all time.

That ending scene is incredible.

edit: see my AV

Definitely need to catch up on my best picture items.

I'll get it if Nomadland wins but I struggled to get into that (and I LOVED Boyhood, which I thought was a pretty inspired comparison above). Certainly not my least favorite BP winner in recent times if it gets it but it's safely below Black Messiah and PYW in my personal rankings right now.

Among the Oscar noms to watch rhat I feel like I need to in advance to know what's going on: Mank, Minari, Trial of Chicago 7, Ma Rainey, Another ound, US v. Billie Holliday, Sound of Metal, The Father (though that may be too much for me, sounds a little like Amour and I absolutely hated Amour as it passed the line of "too bleek" for me).

I am now reminded that Kurosawa shot the entire train ransom sequence in real time on a live train. What a boss.

Every person on board was an extra and he had six cameras following the characters around in real-time to capture the entire frantic sequence from multiple angles. One pass!
That's wild. Makes it all the more interesting considering the dynamic in that scene with all the cops taping/photographing the handoff.

Alexander Mackendrick’s The Ladykillers is some jet-black comedy, y’all. What a cast.

Revelation: young Herbert Lom is half a snack?

Back