Movies

Soul was delightful. I do think Pixar has become so polished we almost take their quality for granted; the animation was gorgeous and a real feat when you compare it to stuff from even just ten years ago. I would say their story process is sometimes a little too...mechanical. It sometimes feels like they've got the formula down pat, you know? But I don't think "too polished" should be a fault.

WW84 was pretty lousy, but I liked when it leaned into the skid (not often enough). Pedro Pascal was absurd, and the little breeze that flew through people's hair when they made a wish was funny and remarkably analog for a 2020 movie.

New Mutants was honestly not that bad. 90 minutes, self contained, slightly different vibe than most superhero movies. It’s not GREAT but also more enjoyable than the recent new bloated X-men movies
Yeah I agree, it's not the best film ever but not certainly not bad. It's more removed from the usual in your face mutant style x-men which I actually like. At this point in the series, we don't need them to explain what it all means and stuff, and in New Mutants it's almost like the powers are a secondary element in a way (apart from the main character where it plays more of a key role).

Okay I know this isn't news, but I just watched Wonder Woman 84 and holy shit, this is horrendous. Like, I'm astonished Warner is this consistently incompetent with the DC properties. It's unreal, not only is the plot absolutely the most inane thing ever, but you have a protagonist who is immensely unlikeable and consistently comes off as an entitled horrendous asshole for pretty much the entire film. Putting aside the fact that she basically low key sexually assaults some nameless comatose schlub for two thirds of the film which somehow is supposed to be cute? I guess? In the name of love? Then you've got just the dumbest plot, the stupidest deus ex machina that pretty much rears its ugly two dollar CGI head every 20 minutes for its entire 17 hour run time and holy shit can we all just walk into traffic now?

But wait... there's more...

The character of Wonder Woman in 84 is the definition of a basic bitch with her absolutely painful grandstanding that somehow masquerades as emotional enlightenment... and why does the big bad spend the last 45 minutes standing on a light up cocktail table while shouting about things?

DRONK MATHER DEMANDS ANSWERS

also Alistair is the fucking worst

also also the end scene where she cutesy talks to the puffy faced schlub guy she's been unbeknownst to him sexually assaulting for the whole film was like TOTES ADORBS

this film sucks and everything hurts

and don't even @ me with R.E.M. gifs I will fight you

Last edited:
Agreed, it was not good.

Funny enough, given the origins of the shitstone it literally is a deus ex machina; aside from a plot device.
EXACTLY. As the son of a writer I am angered beyond all capacity for rational thought that someone gave this much money to a film whose entire conciet is "EVERYONE IN THE WORLD GETS TO WISH FOR WHATEVER THEY WANT BUT WONDERWOMEN WILL SAVE USBLEEERGGAG AS GAGG GFUCKINGFUCK" THIRTY DOLLAR RENTAL FEE PLEASE

EXACTLY. As the son of a writer I am angered beyond all capacity for rational thought that someone gave this much money to a film whose entire conciet is "EVERYONE IN THE WORLD GETS TO WISH FOR WHATEVER THEY WANT BUT WONDERWOMEN WILL SAVE USBLEEERGGAG AS GAGG GFUCKINGFUCK" THIRTY DOLLAR RENTAL FEE PLEASE
Did you pay for it - and THAT much?

I have HBO so it was there.

If you did pay for it, then you have my pity. You may not wish for it, but you have it.

Not recommended then?

Back